I kinda miss Passive tanking :(

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wish Blizz wouldn't have been so "EVERYONE MUST ACTIVELY MITIGATE DAMAGE NOW!!"

and let us choose if we want to go the passive or active way

i remember tanking being keeping threat and soaking damage, now its lolthreat? and preventing predictable damage

the days of accepting the challenge if a well geared Frost DK showed up in your group
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I like how good tanks in bad gear are taking less damage that bad tanks in good gear now.

I do however miss threat being a real mechanic, but considering how often agro is an issue in the pugs I run on my DPS, I'm glad for THAT sake that it's nerfed as much as it is.
Edited by Asane on 2/5/2013 3:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Personally I didn't find the days of threat mattering much fun for both dps and tanks. Well DK frost dk shows up in a group? They're going to be frustrated at how much they have to hold back.

On the tank side, holding threat and active mitigation are on the same page in my eyes. You did your rotation as well as you could to hold threat, where now you do your rotation as well as you can to make sure you have the resources to use your active mitigation.

You have more choice in how you tank now than you ever did really. If you did like the passive mitigation of tanking, going avoidance build is still a viable option. They just probably will never go back to threat fights. It was frustrating for everyone when mobs would get ripped off of you by a dps because they didn't wait or just had much better gear. DPS's reward for getting better gear: hold back more.

To each their own. No model will make the entire player base happy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The thing about making threat matter is that it pushes players towards taking DPS stats like haste and crit in order to generate more threat. It also focuses the tank on maintaining a threat gen rotation, rather than a mitigation resource rotation. They're not always the same. As others have said, given DPS's tendency to play stupidly, pop cds the moment the tank inches forward and go crazy, anything that gives the tank the ability to hold more aggro is a good thing.

I don't want to go back to the 3sec count on Ony before anyone could attack. I don't want to go back to having to lecture dps to wait for the tank to hit the mob before they attack it. I don't want to have to go back to spamming a "you spank it, you tank it" macro. I shouldn't have to do that, but it's far from common knowledge nowadays.

If all I have to do is taunt, then hit my mitigation rotation, then I can worry about the other things I need to: avoiding predictable damage, not standing in fire, making sure my melee dps isn't standing in fire, keeping the mobs turned the right direction, making sure the 10 mobs I'm tanking don't wander behind me negating my passive defense, making sure the healer's not getting pounded, making sure the healer has mana, chain taunting the next pack that the idiot dps decided to pull for me so they don't kill the healer, votekicking said dps pullbot, etc. As a tank, I have plenty of things to do besides worrying about threat. I like that once I have it, I can for the most part keep it.

I do think the vengeance mechanic sucks for tank switches though, mainly because I actually do have to pay attention to it when the other tank picks up, and occasionally I'll lose aggro without a taunt up if he's not paying attention to his threat.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Warrior
I liked the threat race, BUT since strength gives parry, eliminate parry from gear, and now we can go for strength and get both more threat and more mitigation.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I kinda miss passive tanking too. You spent more time paying attention to the boss and less time paying attention to timing SotR.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
02/07/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Ussil
I kinda miss passive tanking too. You spent more time paying attention to the boss and less time paying attention to timing SotR.

Umm, what are you paying attention to other than the boss for timing SotR?

Active mitigation makes it much more important to actually pay attention the boss than before. Imagine thrash from Sha of Fear in the old model. There would be almost no difference between a tank that knows thrash exists and one that doesn't, because you'd just straight up tank most thrashes without a cooldown anyway. And the cooldowns last long enough where it doesn't really matter when you use them, a thrash will happen during it. Timing could let it work for two thrashes, I guess.

Anyway, in the old model, the common response for many minor boss mechanics (anything that didn't warrant a cooldown) was to do nothing and just to tank the damage. Now you have some influence over how much damage you take from those mechanics. Before, paying attention to the mechanic didn't really change anything. Now it does.
Edited by Asthas on 2/7/2013 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I love the new tanking model. Makes it so much more, I dunno, FUN to have to actually keep on your toes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/07/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Ussil

Who actually times Shield of the Righteous? Just macro that garbage into crusader strike and profit. A mechanic like thrash is the only kind of place you actually need to time your Shield of the Righteous. Normal boss melee? You're over complicating your gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I like the new model, I don't have to rely on healers as much. Plus I'm much more engaged in the fight, when all you had to do was soak damage and maintain threat, it became a little boring at times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/07/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Dwyanewade
it became a little boring at times.

It was boring a lot of the times. Had a tank in my raid last expansion that thought he was something special because he tanked. I hated to inform him that raid tanking, imho, was not all that hard at the time.

Stand there, keep some threat and have enough health to absorb any hits. Voila, you are tanking.

Now, you have to stay alive without being a huge mana sponge for your healers. A much more complicated and intensive experience.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/07/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Chuin
I hated to inform him that raid tanking, imho, was not all that hard at the time.

Its still not all that hard, relative to 5mans. 5mans may be a joke, but 5mans will test your general tanking ability more than raids will. This has remained true both before and after active mitigation was implemented.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Warrior
BTW what are we going to do when we gear up after 5.2 and don't need healers for 5 mans lol?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I really enjoy the new model, though I would love to see the return of passive damage (retribution aura, damage shield, etc.).

I also really miss being a central component to tanking, and for one simple reason. It was the defining feature of a good tank that he could hold threat. Without that, nearly any boob can roll their face over the keyboard and be considered a 'tank'.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I run into enough tanks in LFR that have no idea what active mitigation is.

I've even been called an idiot for claiming hit and exp over reforging to dodge.

LFR still gets done... So really, you don't have to use active mitigation.

But if you looking for a challenge (IE tanking and raiding) then why ask to remove the challenge?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
It was fun that good skill at AM let me tank 3 heroic MSV encounters in 468 dps gear, where as in the old model, I would be nearly unhealable in such weak gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]