Flaming Glow (New Mage Talent)

80 Human Priest
Ok so I am assuming this talent works like.....

Mage has 20,000 spell power....

That is 4000 damage prevention up to 30%

So mage gets hit for 10,000 it would absorb 30% of that hit which would be 3000 damage.

Mage gets hit for 100,000 then 4000 damage would be shaved off...

So basically this ability is super good against fast duel wield attackers and not that great against big heavy hitters? Seems to be aimed at helping mages vs. rogues, ferals, hunter pets, and monks...

/Discuss
Edited by Primiez on 2/5/2013 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The last class that needs a talent overhaul is a Mage. Discuss? It's cool how they come up with these concepts right away when nobody believed a talent-change was needed.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
02/05/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Shamadelic
The last class that needs a talent overhaul is a Mage. Discuss? It's cool how they come up with these concepts right away when nobody believed a talent-change was needed.

Well the concept isn't new. It's a carbon copy of what the old unbreakable armor use to do for Frost DKs in Wrath which they changed because of how punishing it was against fast attackers.

It's going to GREATLY reduce the damage of rogues/monks/feral who get a large bulk of their damage from auto attacks and fast attacks.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
02/05/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Shamadelic

Yeah the biggest question IMO is why this even exists, the say one thing do another school of thought is rampant this PTR go around.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Your math doesn't really make any sense.

Several classes on this game have similar abilities and none of them are diminishing, they're all progressive as I assume this will be as well.

If Blizz follows every other model they have for this, which one would assume they will, it mostly likely will work something like Combat Readiness for rogues and Focused Will for disc priests.

It would probably start out a generic base amount like 10% and slowly works it's way up to 30% via damage mechanics.

The new talent is currently called Flameglow, and it is a “permanently on” ability that reduces all damage taken by a flat amount, based on spellpower, up to a maximum of 30% of the hit. The intent is to give mages a passive defensive option, and also one that varies with the frequency of incoming damage

my math is perfect. I just read the description from the new PTR build...

Flameglow (New) Protects you with fiery energy, absorbing [ 20% of Fire Spell Power ] damage from each attack against you (up to a maximum of 30% of the attack).

if you have 20,000 spell power that would be 4000 absorb.

You can only absorbs max 30% of an attack... So if you get hit for 5000 damage you can only absorb up to 30% of that hit which would be 1500 damage shaved off..

If you get hit for 10000 you would absorb 3000 damage.

While the absorb is 4000 if you have 20,000 spell power, you can only absorb a maximum of 30% of an attack.

This makes the ability super good against duel wield classes and kinda blah against 2h users.
Edited by Primiez on 2/5/2013 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/05/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Primiez

Well the concept isn't new. It's a carbon copy of what the old unbreakable armor use to do for Frost DKs in Wrath which they changed because of how punishing it was against fast attackers.

It's going to GREATLY reduce the damage of rogues/monks/feral who get a large bulk of their damage from auto attacks and fast attacks.

Mages are fine. The effort employed into "improving" Mages would do a lot more good if put towards other specializations like Elemental, Retribution, Boomkin and Enhancement. It's frustrating as hell to see the same classes being talked about under the 5.2 changes, while specs like mine (ele) feel like they were rushed and stamped into live. It's horse!@#$.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Priest
So against DoT classes it's just a permanent 30% damage reduction.
Against heavy hitting classes it's a 4k absorb per attack.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I think it'll be just fine?

Considering mages already take a ton of damage having a passive reduction while losing our absorb shouldn't be too OP.

What I'm more concerned about is blazing speed on the movement teir. THAT'S what we should be worried about, that's gonan be OP as heck now.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
So against DoT classes it's just a permanent 30% damage reduction.
Against heavy hitting classes it's a 4k absorb per attack.

yeah it will be extremely good against dot classes.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Full malevolent mage = 20k SP
20% of 20k = 4k

A 4k absorb makes no sense whatsoever unless this damage mechanic is progressive in nature. The term “up to” is ambiguous at best, but they’re NOT going to put a 4k absorb in the game without it stacking or increasing on damage.

I don't understand your point.

The mechanics are clearly laid out.

It's really really simple...

20,000 spell power -

10,000 damage attack = 7000 damage...mage reduces that damage by 30%
100,000 damage attack= 96,000 damage... mage reduces the damage by 4%
50,000 damage attack = 46,000 damage ...mage reduces the damage by 12.5%
25,000 damage attack = 21,000 damage...mage reduces the damage by 16%

The smaller the hit the greater the % damage reduction...however the absorb amount is fixed based on spell power.
Edited by Primiez on 2/5/2013 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
THese shaman guys need to give it a rest.

Anyway, the new talent, should it make to live, will need to stack with each other. IE, every 1s, it adds a stack of 4k reduction, so 30s = 120k. The "shield" will reduce dmg taken of every hit up to 30% :P

Sound like interesting.
Edited by Vandress on 2/5/2013 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
so they revert a nerf on mages then give them a buff... This game is INSANELY broken buys. If things don't get better, Im out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/05/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Addypally
so they revert a nerf on mages then give them a buff... This game is INSANELY broken buys. If things don't get better, Im out.

QUICKLY, BUFF MAGES!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Anyway, the new talent, should it make to live, will need to stack with each other. IE, every 1s, it adds a stack of 4k reduction, so 30s = 120k. The "shield" will reduce dmg taken of every hit up to 30% :P

Sound like interesting.

bro u cant feel me
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Sound like interesting.

bro u cant feel me

Yeah I "feel" you and I still think you're an incorrigible whiner.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Just running random variables in excel it's going to average out to around a 15% flat damage reduction. Just has a interesting mechanic in terms of how it does it. It will be a far larger damage reduction against some classes (upwards of 20-30%), and as low as 5-10% against others.

Not sure how I feel about it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/05/2013 11:10 AMPosted by Lavatots
A 4k absorb makes no sense whatsoever unless this damage mechanic is progressive in nature. The term “up to” is ambiguous at best, but they’re NOT going to put a 4k absorb in the game without it stacking or increasing on damage.

It's a 4k absorb on every attack though. Any class that works by using high frequency, low damage attacks, is getting hit really hard by this.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
TMO
Ouch affliction. Already have to spend a bit extra time extending dots because of mage armor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]