Current state of Hunters

90 Human Paladin
Hunters are today the most balanced class out there.

We dont have a retarded spell that has no counters, our ccs arent spammable and can be dispelled, our dmg cds can be negated, we bring ok utility but nothing over the top.

Thats why the class is barely touched in the ptr notes, as far as PvP go.

But we do have some problems, MM and Survival have nothing unique nor fun, when you explosive shot hits ppl for like 6k, its just meh, oh and pet IA

It requires about 4 different classes to counter every mechanic you have. all hunters have to do is pick their strategy for whatever is coming at them. no class should have the amount of control you have accompanied with a spammable dispel, a double bubble and stealth mechanics. it is too much at once.

02/06/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Artocrawzzy
We do have all of those tools, but do you know how hard it is to use ALL of them within 1 minute? You have to know how to play to do well. We are not a "button smash" class

when put against most other classes in a match where both parties are considered to know their classes well, the hunter wins in most situations. if you took 1 talented individual, and gave them a BM hunter and an enhance shamen, they will ALWAYS pick the hunter to pvp with. and the same can be said not just for enh shamen, but most other classes that are not warriors, shad priests or warlocks

02/06/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Segafredo
DK tears make me smile almost as much as mage tears.

how could you ever compare a DK to a mage? those 2 classes are worlds apart in balance.
Reply Quote
12 Tauren Hunter
I think hunters are way overpowered in the current PVE at least until level 45, which is as far as I have gotten. Quests are way too easy. Basically drop each target's health down to ~70% with Aimed Shot and then finish it off. Rinse and repeat.

I am sure there are most stimulating and challenging ways to play as a group. But for a guy just soloing I am almost never challenged on any quest up to the highest granted. I stroll right in and kill anything with red lettering.

Giant monster with huge hammer 5 stories tall - no problem, dead in 5 seconds.

Quests should be challenging. Afterwards you should be glad to be alive.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
02/06/2013 03:21 PMPosted by Kwayver
if you took 1 talented individual, and gave them a BM hunter and an enhance shamen, they will ALWAYS pick the hunter to pvp with. and the same can be said not just for enh shamen, but most other classes that are not warriors, shad priests or warlocks

Well that might be the dumbest thing I read all day.

First off, just because someone would choose a hunter over a enh sham, doesn't make the hunter OP. Enh is horrible in pvp and has been since, well, forever. Then you follow up and say that hunters would not be chosen if given the option of say OP classes. So what you are saying is, if I am reading this correctly; if a talented individual was given the option to play an under powered class, a hunter, or an over powered class, they would chose an over powered class, then a hunter, then the under powered class. Thus hunters are over powered.

Totally makes sense.
Edited by Goranne on 2/6/2013 5:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/06/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Goranne
if you took 1 talented individual, and gave them a BM hunter and an enhance shamen, they will ALWAYS pick the hunter to pvp with. and the same can be said not just for enh shamen, but most other classes that are not warriors, shad priests or warlocks

Well that might be the dumbest thing I read all day.

First off, just because someone would choose a hunter over a enh sham, doesn't make the hunter OP. Enh is horrible in pvp and has been since, well, forever. Then you follow up and say that hunters would not be chosen if given the option of say OP classes. So what you are saying is, if I am reading this correctly; if a talented individual was given the option to play an under powered class, a hunter, or an over powered class, they would chose an over powered class, then a hunter, then the under powered class. Thus hunters are over powered.

Totally makes sense.

no i think you missed the point of what i, and everyone in this thread who is not a hunter (And a couple of people who ARE hunters) are trying to say: hunter class is OP right now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
While we are in a good state, i think this would be the perfect time for a rehaul like locks received.

BM- great in pvp and pve.
MM- weak in both categories
SV- good in pve, weak in pvp.

As one can see, there is work to be done.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
02/07/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Kwayver
no i think you missed the point of what i, and everyone in this thread who is not a hunter (And a couple of people who ARE hunters) are trying to say: hunter class is OP right now.

No I understood that you were trying to say Hunter's are OP even though they aren't. In fact, if you read over what you said, you in fact pointed out that they are not OP, which was my point. Here, let me break down point by point.

• Skilled player given the choice between enh (under powered) and a hunter (balanced)
  • Skilled player chooses hunter
  • Skilled player given the choice between war (over powered) and a hunter(balanced)
  • Skilled player chooses war

• Your result = Hunters OP
  • Do you see how that makes no sense? I bet you don't.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Death Knight
    02/07/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Goranne
    No I understood that you were trying to say Hunter's are OP even though they aren't. In fact, if you read over what you said, you in fact pointed out that they are not OP
    Actually that's not what he said.
    You are actively trying to twist his words to make it look like he said something he didn't.

He didn't claim the 3 mentioned classes are more overpowered than hunters, he claimed that the 3 of them AND hunters are all in an overpowered category together (and hunters definitely, from an overall perspective, are in the top 2).
    He said with the exception of those 3 classes, hunter is an auto-choice, he didn't say that those 3 classes are an auto-choice over hunter.

Now, how about you go back to my first post in this thread and re-read it.
    Read the bit where i individually list a bunch of your moves and the cooldown on those moves.
    You nor anyone dares directly address it, because in comparison to most other classes, the list looks absolutely insane.
    EDIT:
    (and i forgot some stuff in that list too, didn't even mention your 25sec cd leap back (disengage) and it's associated immobilizing or speed increase or cd reduction)

Your best bet is to try to divert as much attention to spriests as possible, because any reasonable, logical analysis of the current hunter skillset results in hunter=OP. Only people who don't understand PvP mechanics and are unable to read English and do a move-for-move comparison to most other classes will come to a different conclusion.
    Edited by Xfce on 2/7/2013 9:48 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Hunter
    Man, those Dk tears!

Most overpowered classes in arena:
    1. warriors
    2. shadowpriests
    3.mages

Most overpowered classes in RBGS:
    1.Frost Dks
    2.shadowpriests
    3.mages
    4.boomkins
    5. warlocks

If hunters have high representation in arena right now its because we are getting carried by the warrior overlords(aka kfc)

Hunters do NOT need any kind of nerf. We need only buffs on mm and sv specs.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    Yesterday I let my 8 ys old sister to play my low lvl hunter. he owned everything up in STV ... fascinating that an 8 years old girl can own with this class... Shows a lil bit of how skilled u need to be with a hunter.
    Reply Quote
    100 Worgen Hunter
    I'd say one of the main problems we have right now comes down to weapon... weapons... weapons. My dps is being bottlenecked right now. 16% chance of boss loot, 4 useable items off Lei Shi so i have a 4% chance to get my raid weapon, not cool not cool at all.
    Reply Quote
    So what is the current state of Surv hunter PvP anyway??

Is it not used because the DoTs are dispellable and worthless?

Sure, they are DoTs and not very bursty..... but..... is there at least one high rated survival PvP hunter???? wtf?
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Hunter
    02/07/2013 08:59 PMPosted by Xfce
    He said with the exception of those 3 classes, hunter is an auto-choice, he didn't say that those 3 classes are an auto-choice over hunter.

HAHA I have read this 5 times and it still makes me laugh.

I would continue on but you have no interest in how this game is currently being played out. You just want to scream "Hunter's are OP, NERF THEM!" Which is fine, scream it from the roof tops. Maybe apply for a job with Blizz, work for their team who balances PvP, they never seem to have a grasp on actual game play either.
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Hunter
    If hunters were OP, they would have been significantly nerfed already.

Evidence:
    5.0 (and a smidgeon of 5.1)
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Shaman
    felt like they were great during Cata... but oh well... we are all just pawns
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Hunter
    02/08/2013 04:44 AMPosted by Sodrax
    Yesterday I let my 8 ys old sister to play my low lvl hunter. he owned everything up in STV ... fascinating that an 8 years old girl can own with this class... Shows a lil bit of how skilled u need to be with a hunter.

That's low level..... Try playing a hunter at end game against a ret pally after any of your CDs are gone. Or try getting to a high rating with a hunter, it's possible I know but it's a lot harder than you think.
    Reply Quote
    100 Goblin Hunter
    02/15/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Calelroot

That's low level..... Try playing a hunter at end game against a ret pally after any of your CDs are gone. Or try getting to a high rating with a hunter, it's possible I know but it's a lot harder than you think.

right! Ret pallies and DK's have enough ranged damage and healing that they can take me down AT RANGE. Its ridiculous how much ranged damage rogues, ret and DK's are doing.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Hunter
    The only problem with hunters in a PVE sense is that we really don't bring anything to the table in a general sense. We definitely have situational utility, but we don't have things like other classes do that help on almost every fight. Mages are in a similar boat.
    Reply Quote
    They need to quit focusing on BM as the all around spec.

Managing an NPC is not for PvP. Leave the boring, not fun NPC managing for PvE. They need to quit giving BM all the CC breaks / CC / burst damage as a "This = the PvP spec" statement.

I want beast mastery to burn. BUUUUUUURRRRN. I would rather have a melee hunter spec than BM. It not being in the game would be my favorite thing to happen to the class, but I know that no hunter would agree with me on this xD "gotta catch them all!" Pffffff no.

WTB petless marksman.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Hunter
    PVP: I can't really comment on this. I'm not really a fan of hunter pvp.

PVE: I'd say I'm fairly happy with the current state of hunter pve, but I do have one suggestion I'd like to make to Blizz, but I'd like some more input on it from other hunters.

Buff Beast Cleave. Granted, I'm not a big fan of BM, but will play it. The difference in AOE is hilarious. I'm not saying buff it to match SV, but it needs some sweet lovin'. I'm not sure how this would work with pvp balance, but I don't think it would matter too much.
    Reply Quote
    100 Orc Death Knight

LOL. LOL. LOL.

There are gear requirements to get into pve content. I wish their was some knowledge requirement to post in threads.

STV? The pve zone? You think hunter is OP in pvp at endgame cause an 8 year old did well in a PVE zone UNDER level cap? You like to COMPARE APPLES TO ORANGES OFTEN DO YOU?

1. hunter is FAR AND AWAY NOT the best SOLO leveling spec/class in the game. many many specs can GATHER UP MASSIVE numbers of mobs and kill them all at the same time. blood dk, CHECK. prot warrior and pally, CHECK. mistweaver monk, CHECK. brewmaster monk, CHECK. holy pally, CHECK. holy priest, CHECK. the list goes on, CHECK.

on my afflic lock i just chain kill mobs nonstop in hordes, in great numbers. on my dk the only limit to how many i kill at once is the mobs resetting if i try to gather too many.

2. how old are you? i am guessing you are between 11 and 15? i am not looking down on you for being young, its just often adolescents get confused about age and video games. YOUNG people do EXTREMELY WELL at video games often. Being 8 doesn't mean you are handicapped at wow. an 8 year old who has some smarts can do VERY well and be quite competitive in wow.

3. why are you confused as to the gender of your sibling? maybe YOU struggle with wow? you say your "sister" and then you say "he". which is it bright dude?

4. you think it matters if they are a boy or a girl? girls kick butt at video games as well, sorry to inform you. not sure why you need to keep emphasizing gender... and then getting confused about it.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]