So how the heck does the LFR work?

90 Tauren Shaman
So I managed to get my gear score up to 460 and did the two raids available to me. This is a very silly question but after we downed the raid bosses all I managed to get was gold and nothing else. Lol there were so many drops from the dungeon journal and nothing droped from the bosses.
Can someone please verify with me?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Each boss you kill, has roughly (if memory serves) a 15% chance to drop a piece of gear for you, and a depressing 85% chance to drop a sack of sh...err, sack of gold.

You can do dailies to get coins, that allow you a second chance to try and get a piece of gear.

I have some 90s that have been VERY lucky, and a Priest that can't seem to get past 465 after months and months. It can be really fun or it can be really discouraging, but it sounds like the system worked as intended for you. It will reset every Tuesday, so you can try again.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Blizzard has said they plan on improving the failbags. But yes, LFR loot is annoying.

I don't think Blizzard can really improve it either. In a normal raid any loot that anyone gets is an upgrade of sorts - even if it you're not wearing it yourself it still helps you progress. In LFR any loot you don't win may as well not exist (and doesn't anymore, now you get gold instead).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
15% chance on your first kill of the week to win loot.

Sorry you didn't get anything, but it happens. Suck it up and do it again.
Reply Quote
25 Orc Hunter
@OP, if last week was an indication, loot is rare, but gettable. If this week was an indication, A whole lot of people got those sacks of sh...I mean gold.

@Nex if last week was any indication...say 1 drop in 6 bosses, ok. If this week was any indication 0 drops in close to 90 rolls...I'm done with LFR because I get more money farming for that amound of time than the gold the sacks of sh..gold put out. If we can't gear up (like your horror stories of 6 months) in LFR, what good is it?

@Kess Of course they can friggin' improve it. Let's start by making it a garaunteed random purple at the end of LFR if you STAY FOR ALL BOSSES for each LFR raid. If you fail and bail, no end loot. I can think of...tons of ways they could improve it. Double the odds, let people PASS on items they don't need or pass them to other people in the raid, you know, like in every other raid...don't have one person get 2 of the same item off of one boss--because that's STUPID.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/30/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Mulder
@Kess Of course they can friggin' improve it. Let's start by making it a garaunteed random purple at the end of LFR if you STAY FOR ALL BOSSES for each LFR raid.

Sort of like a "thanks for coming" prize?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
@Kess Of course they can friggin' improve it. Let's start by making it a garaunteed random purple at the end of LFR if you STAY FOR ALL BOSSES for each LFR raid. If you fail and bail, no end loot. I can think of...tons of ways they could improve it. Double the odds, let people PASS on items they don't need or pass them to other people in the raid, you know, like in every other raid...don't have one person get 2 of the same item off of one boss--because that's STUPID.

Then people would be gearing up way too fast and complaining that they don't have anything to do.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Currently the main fault with the system is that it gives u loot that you may or may not have. One way to fix it is by simply having tokens, not a chest token or a pants token.. simply universal tokens that you can use for anything you want. The vendors should have all the gear that drops from bosses so you can choose whatever piece you want with the token you received.
Edited by Triplea on 1/31/2013 12:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sometimes you are unlucky and get less than the expected amount of loot.

Sometimes you are lucky and get more.

It averages out over time. The system is intended to dribble out gear over many weeks, not gear you all at once.
Reply Quote
11 Goblin Shaman
01/31/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Triplea
Currently the main fault with the system is that it gives u loot that you may or may not have. One way to fix it is by simply having tokens, not a chest token or a pants token.. simply universal tokens that you can use for anything you want. The vendors should have all the gear that drops from bosses so you can choose whatever piece you want with the token you received.

I hope they never implement something like that.

You shouldn't get a piece of gear every time you do a raid. You also shouldn't get a piece of gear you can use every time you do win an item. If you did, players would be done gearing ridiculously fast and then mob the forums with complaints about how they have nothing to do.

In normal and heroic raids, they boss drops random loot that may or may not be useful to anyone in your group. My raid has killed the Stone Guards 13 times so far on normal, the plate healing boots have dropped every single time and we have one holy paladin (me). We'd all love to never see those stupid boots again, but rng has not been in our favor.

Likewise, in LFR, you get a 15% chance at winning a random item on that bosses loot table that is usable to you. You should not get to pick and choose what you want. No one else does.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

People gear up fast enough already.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
It really depresses me how people just want to have everything. It really depresses me more how fast they want it and while cutting as many corners to get it as possible.

01/31/2013 08:24 AMPosted by Hyjinx

01/31/2013 08:51 AMPosted by Subrosian
LFR is not intended to replace organized raids. It offers you content, and a chance at reward, but its reward is not guaranteed.

QFTs.

Part of me wants them to just remove the LFR gold satchels. If you don't get loot, a window pops up stating you didn't get anything. If gold is such a big deal for people to receive as a consolation prize for their time, let's satisfy them by giving them nothing!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight

WOW so much wrong with all of this.
The guarantee loot at the end of a zone.. Just no! That would be 6 items a week plus what ever you may have got from each boss atm and more once 5.2 hits. That would allow far to fast of gearing.
I promise you no normal/heroic raider gets that many upgrades a week.

Double the odds? No but they are increasing the odds in 5.2 for the 5.0 lfr raids.

Let people pass on items they do not need? I can just see the drama this would cause.
Demands that players pass or get kicked. Guild stacking in lfr to insure that the vote kick passes. More than just that the waiting around while some jerk waits out the pass timer before anyone gets their loot.

Passing items to other players in the lfr would lead to the same problems the old system had of guild stacking to gear up one player. Guild x wants to gear up the new mage. Guild x ques into lfr with all their geared mages and all the alt mages and they all pass their loot to the under geared mage.

Dont let the player get 2 of the same items off one boss... News flash for you this happens in normal raids all the time. When i was guild raiding we would see double items often and some times double items for a class that we didnt even have in the raid.

EQ2 tried some thing like what you suggest. The at one time put in a smart loot system for set items. Bosses would only drop a set items for classes that did not have the item.
So it would loot at the raids gear see who had say their set helm and then only drop the helm for the classes that did not have it already. People geared up super fast and then guild like the one i was in could sell guaranteed full set runs in one night because we already had all of our sets. Thats right one night we could full set gear a player in the smart loot system.
Maybe you think thats a great thing but i am pretty sure it was never ment to do that.

Here is the thing devs must remember. If a system can be gamed/abused/exploited it will be!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
It really depresses me how people just want to have everything. It really depresses me more how fast they want it and while cutting as many corners to get it as possible.

LFR is not intended to replace organized raids. It offers you content, and a chance at reward, but its reward is not guaranteed.

QFTs.

Part of me wants them to just remove the LFR gold satchels. If you don't get loot, a window pops up stating you didn't get anything. If gold is such a big deal for people to receive as a consolation prize for their time, let's satisfy them by giving them nothing!

I agree its just down right silly at times. The devs have to balance how fast loot goes out.
They know when new raid content will be release and they have to set a goal of players will be geared so much at the time the new content releases. Balance wrong and players are sitting around full geared with nothign to do for upgrades.
Or the reverse and the new content hits and players are undergeared for it.

As far as the gold bags go blizzard agrees that they are fail. They are looking at putting other stuff in them other than just gold so the player doesnt feel so empty when they open them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

It averages out over time. The system is intended to dribble out gear over many weeks, not gear you all at once.

Replace with "many months" and you are correct.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I agree its just down right silly at times. The devs have to balance how fast loot goes out.
They know when new raid content will be release and they have to set a goal of players will be geared so much at the time the new content releases. Balance wrong and players are sitting around full geared with nothign to do for upgrades.
Or the reverse and the new content hits and players are undergeared for it.

As far as the gold bags go blizzard agrees that they are fail. They are looking at putting other stuff in them other than just gold so the player doesnt feel so empty when they open them.

I'm sure it will get better with time. Personally though, I'd also be lying if I said I didn't feel like the bags were a little ridiculous. I don't run LFR anymore on this guy, but I still do it on one/two of my alts and it's a little annoying I guess doing it and just seeing blue bags (Especially when you're like, 464 ilevel and can only do 2 LFRs a week :l). But eh, oh well, an alt is an alt, there is always next week, or if I manage to pug a normal mode there's that too. Not a big deal.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
The worst problem with LFR looting is that it's a black box. While leveling and doing dungeons, people are trained to see that the boss drops loot. Even if they don't get the loot or it is a duplicate, they can see that loot dropped. In LFR, the player has no idea what loot the boss dropped, so even if they get the sack, it seems like the boss dropped no loot at all (when he VERY LIKELY dropped loot for multiple people).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
15% drop chance isn't "horrible". Normal raid drops are almost exactly the same, just weighted a little to reduce certain drops like plate tank gear.

The -PROBLEM- with LFR loot is that people compare it to gear acquisition in dungeons. It's not, and it isn't supposed to be.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]