So how the heck does the LFR work?

100 Human Paladin
aus
01/30/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Mulder
If we can't gear up (like your horror stories of 6 months) in LFR, what good is it?

Don't forget your also getting valor and valor is intended to take some of the rng out of drops.

Besides almost all of those horror stories are actually false. "I ran lfr for 8 weeks and got no loot." Actually he ran lfr about 3 times in 8 weeks and was only killing about half the bosses.

My alt for example had 80% of the drops i wanted in 5 weeks, 90% in 8 weeks and now I only run Terrace for the last drop which is a sha touched weapon.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Personally I love the loot system for LFR including the frustration of getting straight bags one week (mitigated since I have multiple toons the chances of nothing at all in LFR is very low).

TBH I far prefer the random loot option to the point where I get frustrated in random heroics because the loot that is dropping is things I cannot use, so I just chain scenarios the cache rewards are exciting to open even though the chances of something useful are low.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
15% chance on your first kill of the week to win loot.

Sorry you didn't get anything, but it happens. Suck it up and do it again.
I hate those replies. To just 'suck it up.'

If peoples paychecks were based on RNG it would suck (maybe Blizzard should pay their employees on an RNG system). The game circles around gear upgrades but Blizzard throttles back gear drops so that you keep grinding. It's similar to gambling. Like dangling a carrot in front of our faces.

Blizzard could reward gear more often so that we could, you know, not grind our playing spirit into the ground. And maybe, maybe after getting the gear we can return to the instances to just have fun rather than chase gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Maybe use the Blingatron table for the failed role rather than the sack of gold?!?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/31/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Crossbless
the horrible drop rates in LFR have only one purpose: subscriber retention

Oh wow! This guy cracked the secret conspiracy! Blizzard, a company which is in business to make money, wants to keep subscribers playing rather than have them quit after a month because they're bored. What an evil plot! We should all be thankful he uncovered it when he did.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
01/31/2013 09:29 PMPosted by Pyri
the horrible drop rates in LFR have only one purpose: subscriber retention

Oh wow! This guy cracked the secret conspiracy! Blizzard, a company which is in business to make money, wants to keep subscribers playing rather than have them quit after a month because they're bored. What an evil plot! We should all be thankful he uncovered it when he did.

Just because it makes economic sense doesn't mean it's a good policy.

Just like how many $60 AAA games include micro-transactions, doesn't mean it's good for gamers.

(Yes, WoW is a $60 AAA game with micro-transactions and a monthly fee. Yay!)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/31/2013 07:30 PMPosted by Wrongway
Blizzard could reward gear more often so that we could, you know, not grind our playing spirit into the ground. And maybe, maybe after getting the gear we can return to the instances to just have fun rather than chase gear.

lol.

Almost nobody would go back "just to have fun." In fact, the major problem is that many people see "getting loot" and "having fun" as the same thing.

01/31/2013 09:20 PMPosted by Tacobeef
Loot should drop at 50% clip, but drop any loot - not just spec-specific loot. Then make LFR loot bind-on-account. Boom, problem solved. People can gear up their alts, they see a lot of loot. It feels more like a slot machine instead of right now, it's like trying to score a basket vs LeBron James.

That's only "problem solved" if you don't think about it for more than 2 seconds.

What if people don't have, say, any leather using alts but keep getting leather gear? Hell, what if people don't have alts at all, which means their chance of getting gear they can use remains low?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Blizzard could reward gear more often so that we could, you know, not grind our playing spirit into the ground.

I see from your FoS achievements that you have played since classic. Do you remember what it was like back then when you had 20 or 40 people in a raid and bosses only dropped 4-5 things? I was 7/8 Netherwind and only needed the chest for about 8 months because:
- Typical RNG (only 2 tier chests per run on Nef per week).
- 5-6 Regular raiding mages, 4 of whom also needed the chest.

So I can only laugh when people mention LFR may take 4-6 months for a full gear set because it seems to me the current loot distribution method is fine, when compared to all previous large group raids. Ignoring the bonus rolls, it seems like each boss drops roughly 4-5 items in LFR, which is on par with typical 25 man loot tables. The only difference is that we are fully at the mercy of invisible rolls rather than some kind of organized loot "buying" structure as used in organized raiding guilds.

And maybe, maybe after getting the gear we can return to the instances to just have fun rather than chase gear.

I daresay those of us who would continue to run the instances because they're fun are a very small minority. As we saw when Bliz put out ICC too early and had to throw in Ruby Sanctum, once people had their gear, not only did they stop chasing the gear they just stopped playing. I heard this was also a problem with Dragon Soul.

The gear grind is the only reason a lot of people keep playing. Sad, but true. They get geared up and, instead of continuing to play, they complain about the "lack of content, wtf bliz" on the forums and unsubscribe. And this affliction isn't limited to "hardcore" raiders.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
01/31/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Nydidolyn
20 or 40 people in a raid and bosses only dropped 4-5 things?

many 40 man bosses dropped 3 items.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I am sure I am in the minority here, but who knows, I havnt polled the WoW community for a long time, nor have I asked every single person "what they would do"

But.

I know if I got gear faster, I would likely spend less time on my main... and more time on my alts. I may also spend less time LFR'ing, and just running LFG 5 mans. I would still do LFR, but it would be something to do in betwenn questing rather than a "got to do 3 more before the end of the week".

My main in question does have a fairly decent amount of gear, though, some of it I am less than impressed with. I am a sub rogue you see, and I have fist weapons... because thats all that has dropped for me.

Im not a fan of the 15% drop system, moreso because I have most of my upgrades (including my daggers) on 1 boss. If the drops were spread a bit more across a few other bosses it would be more ok, but as it stands for the majority of my gear, I only have a 15% chance at it per week.

The unfortunate thing though is that with any system, people will exploit it, complain about it and generally ruin it for other people. Sure some people will be happy but they are often drowned out by the loud.

(In no way is the last paragraph a support or decry about the current loot rolling system, meerly a glance at human sociography and usual instinctive behaivour.)

Being fairly casual, I dont have hours to sit in queues for (standard dps). Something I would love to see however is weapons being purchasable with valor points. Physical Dps dealers would love to be able to get their hands on them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/01/2013 05:11 AMPosted by Ezraeil
Im not a fan of the 15% drop system, moreso because I have most of my upgrades (including my daggers) on 1 boss. If the drops were spread a bit more across a few other bosses it would be more ok, but as it stands for the majority of my gear, I only have a 15% chance at it per week.

That's more a problem with Blizzard screwing up the weapons this tier than anything else.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Change your focus. Think of LFR as a chance to practice and improve your spec, adjust your UI and work on group play. Sure the mechanics are dumbed down and cheesable but your survivability gives you a chance to improve. Sure the loot drop rates r low and you can get better gear from the factions but don't let your satisfaction be too dependant on the drops.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
If peoples paychecks were based on RNG it would suck

And if your character were deleted at the end of every week you didn't win a purple, that would suck too. Fortunately, your character can survive without brand-new epics MUCH better than people can live without paychecks, so maybe you could try being less of a drama queen?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I hope they never implement something like that.

They had a system like that in Trial of the Crusader. You got a token that could be used on any piece of tier. I love it. Cause then I could get the pieces I wanted first. Not whether or not the boss dropped that certain chest token or not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/02/2013 06:24 AMPosted by Calonderiel
If peoples paychecks were based on RNG it would suck

And if your character were deleted at the end of every week you didn't win a purple, that would suck too. Fortunately, your character can survive without brand-new epics MUCH better than people can live without paychecks, so maybe you could try being less of a drama queen?

Except I don't want to pay 15$ a month to run the raid over and over to get gold and watch my characters Ilvl not improve.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/02/2013 08:47 PMPosted by Bubbletruble

Except I don't want to pay 15$ a month to run the raid over and over to get gold and watch my characters Ilvl not improve.

Do you smoke? i bet you pay more then $15 on smokes, i don't smoke, i don't drink wow is my "bad habit" that i spent my money on, and $15 is nothing.

Stop crying saying "I spend $15 so i should get !@#$" doesn't mean anything since EVERYONE who plays this game pays $15.. if you don't like it.. quit. I dare you.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/02/2013 08:47 PMPosted by Bubbletruble

That's good then, because you haven't been doing that. You've only run Heart of Fear and Terrace LFR once.

Judging by your character profile - no reforging, empty gems, missing enchants - you should be grateful for LFR because nobody in their right mind would take you to a raid anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I see from your FoS achievements that you have played since classic. Do you remember what it was like back then when you had 20 or 40 people in a raid and bosses only dropped 4-5 things?
Things were bad. Blizzard noticed this. Changed loot rate. % of player base still thinks loot rate is bad. Could be better. Maybe Blizzard will notice this.

The gear grind is the only reason a lot of people keep playing. Sad, but true. They get geared up and, instead of continuing to play, they complain about the "lack of content, wtf bliz" on the forums and unsubscribe. And this affliction isn't limited to "hardcore" raiders.
It's one thing to unsubscribe because a player has completed the game. It's another thing to unsubscribe because a player is sick of the way the game plays. Players who have completed current content and take a break, I assume, have a higher tendency to return later for new content. I'm guessing it's the opposite for those other guys.

Pretty abrasive reply. How about this analogy. Pick any game with a reward system for completing a level or boss. Then slap on a 15% chance of being rewarded even though you've completed the challenge. We already know Blizzard is a company that needs money to continue. That's understandable. But maybe Blizzard could make this game more fun to play instead of trying to enslave its players with a scheme. You move from becoming a game company that players love into a company strictly in it for profit.

Stop crying saying "I spend $15 so i should get !@#$" doesn't mean anything since EVERYONE who plays this game pays $15.. if you don't like it.. quit. I dare you.
Last I checked Blizzard tries to listen to their players. Players sharing a grievance over the game is part of the process to get something done about it. And just because 15$ is nothing to you does not mean the same for everyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/04/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Wrongway
Pretty abrasive reply. How about this analogy. Pick any game with a reward system for completing a level or boss. Then slap on a 15% chance of being rewarded even though you've completed the challenge. We already know Blizzard is a company that needs money to continue. That's understandable. But maybe Blizzard could make this game more fun to play instead of trying to enslave its players with a scheme. You move from becoming a game company that players love into a company strictly in it for profit.

The problem here is that you equate "more fun to play" with "I get more loot."

02/04/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Wrongway
Last I checked Blizzard tries to listen to their players. Players sharing a grievance over the game is part of the process to get something done about it. And just because 15$ is nothing to you does not mean the same for everyone else.

Maybe not, but Blizzard can't design the game as if your $15 is better than another person's $15.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]