Book Recommendations

90 Pandaren Monk
I need a new book or series of books to read. I need some good recommendations.

I like Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Fiction and Epics. A lot of the books in the kindle store I cant seem to get into that Ive looked at, and they all seem to only be about 600 pages.

Ive read Game of Thrones up to the most current, LotR, Harry Potter and some of Dan Browns stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Starts out a little slow but its the best book I have ever read. Its fairly long too. Trust me youll love it.
Edited by Shocklord on 2/3/2013 2:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thanks, I'll check that out.

From the description, its like reading a playthrough of Fallout. rofl
Edited by Isengar on 2/3/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
67 Blood Elf Warrior
Try The Wheel of Time series. The last book - -the 14th-- just came out.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell if you want a standalone volume.

C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series. The books are around 350 pages a piece, but there's roughly 10 of them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I was going to suggest The Wheel of Time but you beat me to it. :(

Also there's the Belgariad series (I hope I'm spelling that write, the series' name is a !@#$%), but I just finished it. It's also really old like the Wheel of Time, but it's not a well known series. Five books in all, very short.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I stalled out on the third book of Wheel of Time. I didn't care that much for it.

Edit: if you like Sci-fi, definitely get Ender's Game. I think I sucked that back in a day or two.
Edited by Charax on 2/3/2013 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
I recently read the Hyperion series (sci-fi). Really dark and imaginative, not very linear. Definitely a worthwhile genre read.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I stalled out on the third book of Wheel of Time. I didn't care that much for it.

Edit: if you like Sci-fi, definitely get Ender's Game. I think I sucked that back in a day or two.

The WoT books are suuuuper long. It's taken me a while to chew through the first book, but generally I read on my lunch breaks, and with reduced hours it's taken me like a month. I'm about 50 pages from the end though now. When I started re-reading the Belgariad books, that ended up being my priority over WoT. lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I was going to suggest The Wheel of Time but you beat me to it. :(

Also there's the Belgariad series (I hope I'm spelling that write, the series' name is a !@#$%), but I just finished it. It's also really old like the Wheel of Time, but it's not a well known series. Five books in all, very short.

(( IMO, Belgariad > Wheel of Time. However, Eddings' second series, the Mallorean, was pretty much identical to the Belgariad and bored me.

Try the Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's like a darker, more adult Harry Potter. Sort of. It's currently just two books, I think... the Magicians and Magician King.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is a good series if you're looking for more modern fantasy, rather than your typical sword-and-sorcery epic.

What kind of Sci-Fi do you prefer? There's a lot of different stuff out there, I'm in agreement with Charax on Ender's Game, and if it helps motivate you to read it there's going to be a movie adaptation. A lot of more current Sci-Fi has been post-apocalyptic or zombies.

Dune is always a fun read, too. ))
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Galactika
When I started re-reading the Belgariad books, that ended up being my priority over WoT. lol

The Belgariad series of books are pretty good. Never read the last 2 though
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
02/03/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Bronkk
When I started re-reading the Belgariad books, that ended up being my priority over WoT. lol

I have them on the Kindle. Was the only way I could get my hands on the last book.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Dune is always a fun read, too.

Oh, right. Dune is definitely a classic.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 05:22 PMPosted by Galactika

I have them on the Kindle. Was the only way I could get my hands on the last book.

The first 3 I read I got online. Never could find the last 2

Maybe I should check the Kindle out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I'd probably kill myself if I read Dune after watching the mini series. I swore off reading books and then watching the series. Game of Thrones season one made me nerd rage. lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200303316
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I bookmarked this page so I can come back to it later and grab these books. As for what kind of sci fi, its a little hard to narrow down. I like books in the EvE universe, and one or two Dawn of Wars, but I generally dislike sci fi that trys to do the alternate timeline. Swans Song is good so far, but they usually end up being a political peice.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Oh and I can't believe I haven't mentioned this before, but any Dragonlance written by Weis and Hickman.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
I had to pop over to my bookshelf to check out some of my old books. Here's what I recommend. You can wiki and look up the books on Amazon for the plot synopsis.

1. Metro 2033 (Post-apocalyptic Scifi)
This book is amazing, I bought it after playing the game and it by far trumps it's digital brother. It's actually a Russian novel, but you can find English publications on Amazon and Ebay. It's well worth the time to read it.

2. The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. (Comedy, Scifi)
The One, The Only, the timeless work by Douglas Adams. This book is wayyyyy too funny and creative to be passed up by anyone. The movie was great, but the developers trimmed so much out of it.

3. The Starcraft Archive: An Anthology (Scifi, Space-Western-ish-)
    Starcraft: Liberty's Crusade

Starcraft: Shadow of the Xel'naga

Starcraft: Speed of Darkness

These are great reads if you're a Starcraft fan as well. These go over the plot in the game (first SC) and it's a more detailed look into the key characters of the Universe. The books start in the first moments of the Sons of Korhal and how the Terran Confederacy was overthrown (This takes place when the Protoss are unknown and the Zerg aren't anything more than a "rumor").

Anyway, those are a few I recommend, they're all great reads. I can recommend more if you'd like.
Edited by Avdaedric on 2/3/2013 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The Dark Tower series - Stephen King
The Worthing Saga - Orson Scott Card
Ender's Game (and the following books) - Orson Scott Card
The Belgariad series - David Eddings
Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion

I'm a fan of Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five), Chuck Palahniuk (Pygmy, Damned, Fight Club), and José Saramago (Blindness, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ). But if you're looking more for the fantasy/sci-fi the books listed above and mentioned so far by others would probably interest you more :)

*I've been meaning to pick up The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Book-Amber-Complete-Chronicles/dp/0380809060), I hear it's excellent too!
Edited by Maharei on 2/3/2013 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Ratnose, Bloodsport, or either of those two titles followed by: A Journey up the Hassayampa, by Robert Jones. It was printed in all four variations. One of the most original and seamless twists on fantasy you will ever read. I guess it is a coming of age, good vs. evil, adventure story, but I hate to even attempt to summarize it, as it defies explanation. It is a pretty quick read though. If you want an epic check out Vineland or Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]