Book Recommendations

100 Goblin Death Knight
Read Bukowski.
Reply Quote
7 Gnome Warrior
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman. It's just a bunch of short stories, nothing heavy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Incarnations of Immortality series.

Best Sci-Fi/fantasy IMPO
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson was great. I haven't read anything in his newer series, but heard good things so far.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I just finished God's War, by Kameron Hurley, and am working on the next in the series:
http://www.amazon.com/Gods-War-Bel-Dame-Apocrypha/dp/159780214X

Terrific world-building and very original, I think. I love the characterizations and the characters, neither of which fall into the easy stereotypes, imo, and the writing is clear and fierce. Highly recommended.
Reply Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods

like others, I would also recommend The Belgariad and The Dresden Files, if you haven't touched those yet.
Edited by Briggo on 2/4/2013 7:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
How to control your inner voice - Mordrok
Reply Quote
The Night Angel series by Brent Weeks
http://www.brentweeks.com/books/the-night-angel-trilogy/
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
A few of my favorite that fits that little bit there:

Fahrenheit 451; 1984; Brave New World; Star Wars the Old Republic, Deceived; most of the Warhammer 40K books
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
OK. All these recommendations are cute but, put them off to the side for now.

Read The Malazan Book of the Fallen series right now. It's 10 books long. The books are meaty, too. This is truly an epic series in every fashion. Steven Erickson is an absolute master of the english language and his books go beyond being a fantasy series. They're philosophical, they make you think, they're romantic, dramatic, epic and gory as all hell. The magic system used is quite unique, and there is a plethora of characters....just don't fall in love with them too much as Erickson doesn't mind killing them off (all in dramatic fashion).

I've never read a series like this and I don't think I ever will again. Erickson has spoiled me on what true dark/epic fantasy should be. It should be coherent, thought provoking, heart wrenching and beautiful to behold. He accomplishes this and then some.

After you read the first book and start to really see what is going on....books 2-10 just fly by. I've read each of them 5 times each except for book 10. I can only bring myself to read it once, as I was actually saddened to have finished the series. I try to pimp this series out to as many people as possible, and those that take my advice and read it are invariably all thankful.

Please. Do yourself a favor and read these books.

02/04/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Layke

I second this, though. Only problem is...the guy needs to write faster!

02/04/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Scabbies
Read Bukowski.

And this x10234934. Bukowski is my hero.
Edited by Iconik on 2/4/2013 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Dr. Seuss
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I liked the Obsidian Chronicles (a trilogy) by Lawrence Watt-Evans when I read it some years ago. Actually, thinking about it, it was probably at least 6 or 7, that needs amending.

I also really enjoyed Showboat World by Jack Vance. He paints an incredibly detailed world and writes loyally within it for the duration of the book. He captures his characters nicely and nothing in the story ever feels forced. It's just seamless and sucks you right in.

If you're looking for something technical in the scifi department, Beyond Infinity by Gregory Benford has some really cool ideas. The scale on which he operates for the story is amazing. As for the story and the characters themselves... I would perhaps refrain from too much praise. It's worth reading but I wouldn't say it's as awesome as something like Showboat World or the Obsidian Chronicles as far as motivation and inspiration go. If that makes sense, you get me. Things happen, they're cool, but not quite as cool as how they happen or how much happens. Read it, and you'll figure it out.

And as far as videogame books go, I really liked the first of the original Halo books trilogy. It was, in my opinion, better than playing the games. The one after that, with the flood, was almost intolerable because of some of the dialogue being verbatim lines of the game. That first one, though, so good. The author had a mapped out and well-known universe in which to work and I think was allowed to just let his creative mind wander with characters that were already at least partially fleshed out. Reading it was like getting to eat a cake that somebody got already finished and just decorated to make it prettier, while also moistening up the inside.
Reply Quote
45 Tauren Druid
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

DRESDEN FILES, BY JIM BUTCHER

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Gone - Michael Grant, Very good book kinda like lord of the flies, every person 15 or older dissapears from this town and a bubble is put around it, I won't spoil the rest. But it is becoming a movie.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I had already read all the Malazan Books of the Fallen, and you're right, my favorite series so far. I've also read the Kingkiller Chronicles, but I was sad because its takeing him forever to get book out.

Also: Holy !@#$, Swan Song is DARK.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
[quote] Swans Song [\quote]

To be perfectly honest, I stopped reading this when the dog died. Poor little terrier :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Dresden Files was really good, but the other series Butcher did, Codex Alera, doesn't get the love it should. Great series, good writing, wonderful premise... AND it actually wraps up and you aren't left hanging for another book to come out, and another, and another. Should I ever have a son, I will consider naming him Tavi. This is one of those series that I am sad that I read it, only because I can't re-experience the joy of re-discovering it.

Sword of Truth is alright, although a bit rapey. Also, there's a whole book or two in the series that are boring as hell and can be skipped. They add nothing to the plot except to "QQ they're trying to get rid of magic QQ." "QQ I don't control my own life QQ." Gets a bit boring and repetitive. Only worth the read if only for the Wizard Rules. And you can wiki those. I just saved you time.

Zero Sight and Zero Sum by Justin Shier are worth the read and relatively cheap on Amazon, because I do believe the author is self-published. It's a coming-of-age wizard story set in a future America where oil ran out and so did prosperity. Pretty good writing, mostly original ideas, and has a protagonist you can like.

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne is pretty good, and smacks a bit of Harry Dresden. In this series, you learn that Thor is a mean bastard, The Morrigan is scary, and Irish wolf hounds are the best dogs on earth.

If you like masculine, gritty fantasy of the darker variety, I suggest The Nightside Series by Simon R. Green. It takes place in a version of London where powerful magical beings co-exist with advanced technology. It's set in the same universe that The Secret History series takes place (because Razor Eddie, Punk God of the Straight Razor is in both), although you don't have to read one to read the other. But both are good, but really, really British.

If you like high fantasy told from the point of view of the feminine persuasion, the Into the Dark Lands series by Michelle Sagara West is probably one of the best series I have ever read. A bit girly though, and also I suspect it might be a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, although entire villages get brutally murdered, so idk. At heart, it's a love story. A beautiful, dark, dark love story where lots of people die screaming.

Free Radicals: A novel of Utopia and Dystopia by Zeke Teflon is also entertaining, and is reminiscent of old school sci-fi because it has loads and loads of societal parables in it.

Lastly, (because I think I could go on for 4 or 5 more pages on the subject of books, but I won't cause I'm very very lazy), I recommend The Hungering Saga by Heath Pfaff. It's an epic, well-constucted universe with totally original premises, and well contained in three or so books. It's another one of those series that you wish you could time-travel for the sake of re-discovery of a good story.

For a list of highly-recommended, trashy, high fantasy bodice-rippers, I can be contacted in-game. I'd kinda be ashamed to admit I've read half of what I've read on a public forum.

Edit:

02/04/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Scabbies
Read Bukowski.

Also, that. On a side note: back in BC, typing "Charles Bukowski" in any chat would set off the profanity filters. True facts.
Edited by Willomena on 2/9/2013 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I like steampunk things, and thats what the nightshade seires sounds like. So I'll read that next.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/04/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Findarissimo
The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson was great. I haven't read anything in his newer series, but heard good things so far.

Do yourself a favor and read all his books. Sanderson is easily my favorite author. His Mistborn series is great, but if you want a 'stand alone' try either Warbreaker or Elantris. Or any of his short stories/novellas, for that matter. Then there's his epic series that he's started. The Way of Kings is the first book for that one, and the second is supposed to be out later this year and I cannot even begin to express how excited I am about this. He writes really fast, so I feel like I'm never left hanging for long.

Also, this is the guy that finished the Wheel of Time books for Robert Jordan. Don't know if that will persuade or dissuade you from reading his other work.

02/04/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Layke

This would be my second recommendation. But yeah, he definitely does need to write faster.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]