Too many instances: change the threshold?

90 Draenei Warrior
Is there any hope that you'll remove, or at least relax, the threshold where "too many instances" gets hit? I'm farming BC-era regular 5-mans for transmog gear, and this is really annoying. I can blow through Shattered Halls in about 8 minutes, counting the run back to the door, and resetting, only to run face-first into a threshold that was set back when rocks were soft. C'mon, please lift it. Please?

Edit: Oh, and it would be really nice if there was a way for me to tell how long I'm being blocked. I could know when to try again, instead of this nonsense waste of time.
Edited by Graakan on 2/3/2013 8:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Unable to zone in, instance servers are busy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/03/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Postonforums
Unable to zone in, instance servers are busy.

What are you talking about?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
What would be spammed if the limitation was lightened.

Dark Times.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
What would be spammed if the limitation was lightened.

Dark Times.

Yep I remember that. Oh the deaths to the door boss on instances. (hey pvp server... all's fair and all)

But yeah OP, what post said is correct. If there were no instance limits on how many you can enter in an hour, the servers would be inundated with people at all times making the instance servers full.

The limit is there to prevent chain running old content, as chain running instances at the appropriate level means you'll never run into the error message.

Basically slow down with your farming, do something else for 10/20 mins or so and then go back.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Right. If they lighten it up, then a huge run on instances -- which Blizz's IT infrastructure is totally powerless to absorb -- will immediately cripple instance servers? I'm not buying that. They put that limitation in way back in the day, and frankly, I haven't seen that error in years, even during heavy use periods.

No, I'm more inclined to believe the theory that the limit was put into place to thwart gold farmers, and I still don't think that's good enough today. Besides, lowering the vendor price on drops from BC dungeons (and Wrath, actually) will solve that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/03/2013 09:03 PMPosted by Waraila
Basically slow down with your farming, do something else for 10/20 mins or so and then go back.

No, I'm going to press for the raising the number of instances before the "too many" flag is tripped. That makes more sense, particularly in light of how fast we can rip through the instances. And again, those limits were put in place when the server infrastructure was less capable. I'm sure they can up the limit on older content with no problems.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
No, I'm more inclined to believe the theory that the limit was put into place to thwart gold farmers, and I still don't think that's good enough today.

No it's there to prevent a repeat of what happened when Ulduar came out. Which was 'Transfer aborted: Instance not found' over and over and over and over again ... for HOURS.

The instance servers pretty much gave up with the amount of people trying to run instances and raids. Too many people and all, and this was BEFORE cross realm queuing came out.

Whilst it also has a side effect of preventing gold farming of some instances, it is there for technical reasons too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/03/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Graakan
They put that limitation in way back in the day, and frankly, I haven't seen that error in years, even during heavy use periods.

... because the limit is in place.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
They actually just answered a tweet about this same exact question. It ain't changing. Yes it's a pain when farming mog gear. (25 runs for my T2 hunter helm recolor. Grumble....) it's necessary though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
They put that limitation in way back in the day, and frankly, I haven't seen that error in years, even during heavy use periods.
Because they put the limitation in place...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/03/2013 09:15 PMPosted by Zikx
They actually just answered a tweet about this same exact question. It ain't changing. Yes it's a pain when farming mog gear. (25 runs for my T2 hunter helm recolor. Grumble....) it's necessary though.

Yes, I just saw that on MMO Champ, dated 21Jan from GC. He says it's to prevent exploits, though I have no idea how. Some weakness in the code, I guess. Serious pita.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight

...Because ... they ... put ... the ... limitation ... in ... place...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
There's also the issue with bots in certain instances;
Shattered Halls is the big one right now.

Lets just promote more of that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Shattered Halls is the big one right now..[/b]

And how do you know that?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
02/03/2013 11:46 PMPosted by Postonforums
...Because ... they ... put ... the ... limitation ... in ... place...

Right. And you know this how? Last I checked, Blizz isn't releasing their server stats, so the best you've got is a guess. GC says the limit is to prevent server exploits. He didn't mention server overloading. So I'm going to say that all of you who are claiming the limit is to prevent overloading are just guessing, and not taking into account that their instance infrastructure might be a tad improved in the last three years.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior

Because to anybody who knows a thing about markets or the general go-how of anything remotely fishy it's obvious? Also go to any decent server and hang outside the entrance for 10 minutes.
Edited by Schwert on 2/4/2013 5:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus
hey put that limitation in way back in the day, and frankly, I haven't seen that error in years, even during heavy use periods.

I last saw it in firelands, Sure its a year ago but its not that long, I highly doubt they have magically fixed the servers

02/04/2013 04:43 AMPosted by Graakan
Right. And you know this how? Last I checked, Blizz isn't releasing their server stats, so the best you've got is a guess. GC says the limit is to prevent server exploits. He didn't mention server overloading.

Because we had blue posts about the instance limit to prevent server overloading when nobody had even heard of GC.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

I know from first hand experience seeing friends spends days go into weeks just farming shattered halls. Most of them let their subs pass since wow wasn't shaping up to what they had hoped. Ends up they got hacked a couple months later one by one and started living in shattered halls.

I reported em, they got notified from Blizzard had their accounts restored. Because of that a couple of them managed to resub and are playing again to this day.

He didn't mention server overloading.
I heard GC goes into a rather verbose blog over each and every aspect of his replies. /sarcasm

Seriously read bellow :

02/04/2013 05:50 AMPosted by Mate
Because we had blue posts about the instance limit to prevent server overloading when nobody had even heard of GC.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Right. And you know this how? Last I checked, Blizz isn't releasing their server stats, so the best you've got is a guess. GC says the limit is to prevent server exploits. He didn't mention server overloading. So I'm going to say that all of you who are claiming the limit is to prevent overloading are just guessing, and not taking into account that their instance infrastructure might be a tad improved in the last three years.

All of us who contemplated cancelling our accounts because our raid group couldnt zone in because some teleport bot in DM was checking dusky tomes 40x/hour

It pops up once in a while now, where servers are busy, so ANY more unnecessary strain is bad, keep in mind, we have the random dungeon and raid finders now, which have generated a ton more legitimate instances, the 5x/hour that's in place for solo and non random content is a safeguard that these 1000's of new instances aren't bogging the servers down enough to completely inconvenience players. You having to do a run every 12 mins is better than a 25 man raid of players quitting the game.
Edited by Asane on 2/4/2013 1:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]