Tuesday Question: To A Cinema Near You...

100 Draenei Hunter
Earlier on in the week, though you may not have noticed, Blizzard quietly announced this little detail about the oft speculated but never-anything-concrete Warcraft movie:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7801170580

(Penny Arcade's reaction: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/02/01)

The brutally edited tl;dr version of the announcement is this:
We are pleased to announce that Duncan Jones has signed on to direct the upcoming live-action film based on the Warcraft universe.

This announcement, small in size but breathtaking in scope has given rise to questions amongst the many World of Warcraft fellow travelers whom speak to your humble authour from time to time.

"Who the hell is Duncan Jones?"
"Their is a Warcraft movie?"
"No, seriously, who is Duncan Jones?"
"Is it going to be three movies like Bored of the Rings was?"
"Another video game to movie translation? Should have stopped at Mortal Kombat"

And so on.

Of course, the internet being the internet, this has led to an explosion of speculation, at the moment we are only seeing the initial flash and the fireball, but the sound and the shockwave will hit us soon enough. Bringing with it endless speculation threads in the fansite forums and "ZOMG leaked, totes real" fake screenshots. (You KNOW you want to do Sir Ian "Gandalf" McKellen as Medivh. Go on, go on, go on, go on.) And no doubt Blizzard will delight in this by making unassuming announcements all through the year, and/or a huge announcement come Blizzcon.

I am in two minds about this, one the one hand, I am yet to see a video game transition well to the silver screen, though YMMV on this. And on the other, Blizzard have a reputation to uphold, as cut scenes from their history of successful franchises and their sequels (Lets not talk about Warcraft Adventures) have proven to be amazing to watch, but I worry that Blizzard could possibly maintain that kind of standard over 90 minutes, or three hours as the average fantasy movie tends to span nowadays. And of course, there is this overarching worry that Blizzard will make a complete Silent Hill of it. Because if Hollywood has taught us anything, it's that when you are onto a good thing, flog it to death.

Are you excited about the upcoming Warcraft movie? Or are you indifferent? Who would you like to see star in it?

Speculate please, I live for this stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/05/2013 03:42 PMPosted by Torchsong
Are you excited about the upcoming Warcraft movie?

Could be good, depends what story they go with, as I recall it was something to do with alliance so may be gay =)

Who would you like to see star in it?.

Hayden Christensen
Ewan McGregor
Natalie Portman
Ian McDiarmid
Samuel L. Jackson
Christopher Lee
Edited by Eruptor on 2/5/2013 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
The cast of Star Wars are too busy preparing their anuses for the upcoming Disney films
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Who would you like to see star in it?.

Hayden Christensen
Ewan McGregor
Natalie Portman
Ian McDiarmid
Samuel L. Jackson
Christopher Lee

Make it happen
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Duncan Jones directed Moon, which is one of my favourite movies EVER. +1

He also did Source Code which was ok, but I probably wouldn't watch it again. -1

I'm wondering what they will base the plot around mostly. I kinda hope it's around old fashioned faction rivalry, I love that stuff.

I'm pretty sceptical though, most game -> film adaptations are forgettable. Except maybe the first Resident Evil and Silent Hill (only because triangle man still haunts me in my dreams)! I also loved Tron but that was mostly because my eyeballs were happy seeing it in 3D, the script was awful.

As for casting all I can say is: RON PERLMAN FOR THRALL!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
02/05/2013 10:19 PMPosted by Nebulae
Duncan Jones directed Moon, which is one of my favourite movies EVER. +1

Fantastic movie, and I am a huge fan of Sam Rockwell, ever since I saw him as the shouty, genre savvy Guy Fleegman in Galaxy Quest. He made a passable Zaphod Beeblebrox too.

Hayden Christensen
Ewan McGregor
Natalie Portman
Ian McDiarmid
Samuel L. Jackson
Christopher Lee

-as a Murloc.
-as plucky comic relief.
-Blonde her up, get her to say "You asked for it" a lot. Good Jaina Proudmoore.
-Ummm...
-As King Varian Wrynn, after a Race Lift.
-A natural as Medivh, or pre-nasty Kel'Thuzad.

02/05/2013 10:19 PMPosted by Nebulae
As for casting all I can say is: RON PERLMAN FOR THRALL!

Excellent choice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/06/2013 12:02 AMPosted by Torchsong
Galaxy Quest

Oh god Galaxy Quest is up there too haha. Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver in a Star Trek parody? Um, yes. I've watched that movie more times than I care to admit!

I'd be happy if Mr Rockwell made an appearance in the WoW movie, though I can't think of a character that would suit him right now :(

I thought maybe Kael'thas but I think the guy who played Draco Malfoy's Dad would be a better option for that role!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
just put Jennifer Love Hewitt in there please.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
i will be staring in the movie for first 30 secs i kill 3024 Horde then take a arrow to the knee
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
02/06/2013 01:52 AMPosted by Tealcxx
i will be staring in the movie for first 30 secs i kill 3024 Horde then take a arrow to the knee

Only 3024 Horde in 30 seconds? Getting slow in your old age Tealc.

Be nice if they filmed this somewhere nearby and I could get involved in some way, even if it is just milling around as a background extra. I am good at milling around, and can wander aimlessly with the best of them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
inb4 bust
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/07/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Torchsong
Only 3024 Horde in 30 seconds? Getting slow in your old age Tealc.

i know i am now 10022 i have my own elite strike team in vid
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]