Your singing voice

90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm not asking everybody that may post here to be an actual trained singer. This is more a discussion on how you feel you sound when you sing.

Why am I bringing it up? Well that means Story Time like usual. I'll try to keep this one brief.

If you've met me or heard me over skype/vent. I tend to have a slightly lower range compared to girls when I speak. The easy to label "Tomboy" voice. Not entirely butch but not quite barbie girl typical high range. Usually if friends and I are singing in the car, I find it way easier to just sing the male parts. It feels almost like I'm putting too much strain on my throat to try and hit high notes. Which would usually be easier to obtain as a girl. However I'm having a bit of a "HECK YEAH" moment. I was listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYIioYDI2Iw

Now I'm not Terrance Zdunich. But I would usually go the easy route and try to mimic the devil in this song. Not that deep of course but for once I tried to sound like the girl. I was just happy for once my voice didn't crack. Low notes just seem easier for me because it feels more like just talking to me.

What about you guys? How do you think you sound when you honestly try to sing something?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I'm a guy, and my singing voice is as bad or worse than Robbie Robertson's. I have to really strain to get anything out that is remotely passable.
Edited by Cowbacca on 2/6/2013 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have been told by people that my singing voice was beyond terrible.
I didn't believe them until a squirrel literally dropped dead when it heard my voice when I was singing one day.
Poor thing, it never even had a chance :(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
This is more a discussion on how you feel you sound when you sing. .

Like a frog croaking.

02/06/2013 01:29 PMPosted by Cowbacca
my singing voice is as bad or worse than Robbie Robertson's.

ROFL!!!!!
Reply Quote
25 Human Paladin
02/06/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Rosenivy
Low notes just seem easier for me because it feels more like just talking to me.

So you're an alto. No big deal. In high school we had two choirs full of them. Altos know how to harmonize whereas too many sopranos get flustered if they don't have the melody.

As for me, I know I sing well. In voice competition my junior year of high school I got an A-. Too many people say they can't sing when what they really mean is they can't make a living at it. Besides, singing is about the enjoyment of it, not how good or bad you sound.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't even try, but that's besides the point. Your post reminded me of the girl that did the enchantress voice in D3 when her normal voice is actually pretty low. There is a video of her doing it and it's pretty amusing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I front a band myself, we mostly cover classic rock like The Doors, Hendrix, CCR that kind of stuff, but we also write a fair amount of our own music to. I've been told I have a good baritone singing voice similer to Jim Morrison's as we cover The Doors alot I've adapted his singing style.

The best thing you can do is record yourself and have someone else record you singing, that will give you a true idea of how you sound when you sing. My vocal coach I had years ago recorded our very first and our very last sesssion together, and the difference was so vast I couldn't beleive it.
Edited by Elfis on 2/6/2013 10:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/06/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Terar
So you're an alto. No big deal. In high school we had two choirs full of them. Altos know how to harmonize whereas too many sopranos get flustered if they don't have the melody.

Ah that's the word. I haven't been in a choir since junior high. And it always bothered me they expected all the kids to sound the same. Rather then actually try to help them learn to sing. Although I suppose that's the whole point of a choir. I was a little rusty in terms for singing.

02/06/2013 10:55 PMPosted by Elfis
The best thing you can do is record yourself and have someone else record you singing, that will give you a true idea of how you sound when you sing. My vocal coach I had years ago recorded our very first and our very last sesssion together, and the difference was so vast I couldn't beleive it.

I honestly hate the sound of my own voice if I'm recorded. I have no idea why it just bothers me. It just sounds nothing like how I hear myself when I speak. Odd as that sounds.
Reply Quote
I used to be blissfully unaware of just how awful of a singer I am.then I had the wonderful idea of recording myself out of sheer boredom one day. Needless to say I now know why everyone tells me to shut the hell up when I sing. I couldn't match a tone if I tried. All I do is raise my voice in sound volume in attempts to actually match the music.

I have a very nice speaking voice though. I guess that'll do haha.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I don't like the sound of my own voice to begin, & because of this I end up switching between character voices when talking with friends.

Singing? I don't like subjecting people to it although some say my singing voice is pretty.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
To embarrassed to even try. Even if I am alone...
I think it might be horrible though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oHbjSysH794#t=31s
Edited by Nevintsha on 2/7/2013 4:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
I think I've got a decent voice, and a couple of people have told me so, though I've never heard myself recorded. I find my regular voice odd enough recorded without facing my singing voice.

It's like twice as deep as how I hear it, which makes me completely rethink and over-analyze everything that I say >_>
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I sing in the car constantly.

My singing voice is bad though. Really bad.

Mega-ultra-super-bad.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I actually have my own industrial project and do local shows and all. Working on getting the stuff "mastered" so to speak to have a good quality recording to post up.

I have a little deeper voice that bounces between what I'm around. When I'm at home or around family a lot, my German accent comes out. But if I'm out and about, I get a slight bit of southern to it due to where I reside and it rubs off.

I don't think I have a bad voice. Did chorus from elementary school and up to work on it. I sound pretty close to Dennis Ostermann from In Strict Confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNhrjyRM5s
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Terrible. In fact there's a note I just don't have. If I start low and slowly raise my pitch in a single, lengthy noise, there's a second where my voice completely cuts out before coming back an octave or two higher.

"OooooooooooOOOOOO----AAAAAAHH"

A pity I can't sing, as I enjoy writing parodies.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
My voice has a wide range of singing tones from a high-medium pitch to a low baritone. I really enjoy singing songs by Kansas and Aerosmith.
Reply Quote
59 Worgen Warlock
Red
My normal speaking voice is a mashup of Gilbert Gottfried and Fran Drescher.

God help the poor soul who hears me sing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I'm a Bass in A'capella at my High School. I absolutely love singing Bass, but in Men's Chorus, our choir director/teacher assigns sections on a singing range based on what he thinks works best for that section, and that screwed me because my section got assigned mostly Tenor parts.

Maybe I'll record myself singing one of our songs in A'capella titled, "O Occhi Manza Mia."
Edited by Kulso on 2/14/2013 1:31 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]