Kind of Lost in Ret????

100 Human Paladin
Okay mainly play Prot but thought about making a ret set. Been using Mr. Robot, ClCret, have the 4 piece bonus but i really cant judge my dps in LFR. What should my damage be maxed out?
Im usually top 10-15 but i cant seem to get above 70k on some fights other fights yea im above it cause of the mechanics of the fights mobs more targets. I do still have this 463 helm (cant seem to get a better to drop) really only raid ret in LFR cause i go prot in 10mans but still like to max out my best if i can but never have played Ret before so any advice would help.
One last thing Mr. Robot does have me at a little more haste but it gives up hit and expertise cap but its not much and i dont think it would make that much difference?? But maybe im wrong?? Just reading the forums and hoping i shouldnt like be at avg 90k and if so why im not.
Thanks
Tarlon
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Armory looks fine, a WoL would be helpful, though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
It looks like you're over hit and expertise cap for one, so you have some wasted stats there.

It all comes down to your ability priorities and how you're using your cooldowns. Your burst is a major contributor to your overall dps as Ret.

As far as your cooldowns go, I use them the same way as in Cata. Pop Guardian and let him get up to around 10 stacks, then pop trinkets, pot and AW. You can get in a second AW while Guardian is on cooldown, so don't sit on it. Then, wait for Guardian and AW to come off cooldown again and use them both together. Try to time it appropriately around fight mechanics and hero if possible for the best output.

Your HP builders are always top priority, but don't sit on 5 HP ever. Some people may tell you to not sit on 3 HP even, but as long as you're not wasting generated HP by sitting on 5 and then using a builder ability, I think it's fine to get up to 5. The only time that priority doesn't apply is if you're using Divine Purpose, which I prefer. I don't ever sit on a proc of that, even if I only have 1 HP.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that your #1 HP usage priority is to always keep Inquisition running, and always have it just refreshed prior to starting your cooldown rotation. You want to have to refresh Inq as little as possible during your CD burst, since that would be a missed chance to use TV.
Edited by Rauhm on 1/31/2013 8:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It looks like you're over hit and expertise cap for one, so you have some wasted stats there.

It all comes down to your ability priorities and how you're using your cooldowns. Your burst is a major contributor to your overall dps as Ret.

As far as your cooldowns go, I use them the same way as in Cata. Pop Guardian and let him get up to around 10 stacks, then pop trinkets, pot and AW. You can get in a second AW while Guardian is on cooldown, so don't sit on it. Then, wait for Guardian and AW to come off cooldown again and use them both together. Try to time it appropriately around fight mechanics and hero if possible for the best output.

Your HP builders are always top priority, but don't sit on 5 HP ever. Some people may tell you to not sit on 3 HP even, but as long as you're not wasting generated HP by sitting on 5 and then using a builder ability, I think it's fine to get up to 5. The only time that priority doesn't apply is if you're using Divine Purpose, which I prefer. I don't ever sit on a proc of that, even if I only have 1 HP.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that your #1 HP usage priority is to always keep Inquisition running, and always have it just refreshed prior to starting your cooldown rotation. You want to have to refresh Inq as little as possible during your CD burst, since that would be a missed chance to use TV.

18 hit rating over and 72 exp over is close enough unless you're really trying to min/max.

Letting GotAK build to 10 is only useful if you're not using SW, as otherwise the durations last perfectly and you don't lose out on anything.

DP is simming, and in practice, is a DPS loss over either HA or SW.

As stated above, a log would be brilliant as everything else is, effectively, just copy pasting what is in the stickies.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Unless you take SW, Guardian lasts 30 seconds and AW lasts 20 seconds.

Why would you NOT want to let Guardian build up stacks so that the 20 seconds of AW gives you the best possible benefit? Legitimate question.

I should note that I've not played my paladin since hitting 90, as I shifted my focus to this character. I am going to pick him back up soon as I kind of miss the Ret playstyle.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Thanks Guys i do have SW and Popped both SW and GOTAK waited for 10stacks then busted my cd was able to get my burst up about 20k to about 101k this is without any buffs or flask pot etc, but it does keep falling to about 75k avg then it wont increase except a little at the next burst phase.
I am keeping up inq up and only on bursts with AW and im stacking 5 HP like CLCRet is showing then TV, otherwise i stack three HP then TV , i dont know if world of logs would work since i only play this spec in LFR and that's not a guild? But at least i know there's room to improve going to keep experimenting with this. I appreciate the advice.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Unless you take SW, Guardian lasts 30 seconds and AW lasts 20 seconds.

Why would you NOT want to let Guardian build up stacks so that the 20 seconds of AW gives you the best possible benefit? Legitimate question.

I should note that I've not played my paladin since hitting 90, as I shifted my focus to this character. I am going to pick him back up soon as I kind of miss the Ret playstyle.

I did write in my post that it's only beneficial if you're NOT using SW, I think you may have misread what I wrote.

Thanks Guys i do have SW and Popped both SW and GOTAK waited for 10stacks then busted my cd was able to get my burst up about 20k to about 101k this is without any buffs or flask pot etc, but it does keep falling to about 75k avg then it wont increase except a little at the next burst phase.
I am keeping up inq up and only on bursts with AW and im stacking 5 HP like CLCRet is showing then TV, otherwise i stack three HP then TV , i dont know if world of logs would work since i only play this spec in LFR and that's not a guild? But at least i know there's room to improve going to keep experimenting with this. I appreciate the advice.

You can indeed get a WoL during LFR, if you just create a guild yourself on their site, which takes effectively 10 minutes.

Typical pull that you're not saving CDs for a phase coming within a few seconds should go
Build 3 HP, Inq, GotAK, wait 2 seconds, Wings, any on use trinkets or things like engineering glove tinker, and then ES, and then following your normal rotation effectively.

What string are you using on CLCret? The stock standard one is a little off, from what I'm noticed and doesn't include ES in it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
inq tvdp tv5 es how exo cs j tv3 ss thats is the rotation i entered from curse.com and i will follow that opening pull rotation.
Thanks.
Edited by Tarlon on 1/31/2013 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I'm currently capped on net till tomorrow, but when I can log on I'll post the string I'm using.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Thank you very much i appreciate it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]