5.2 Elemental Shaman:**URGENT UPDATE NEEDED**

90 Tauren Shaman
I have tracked changes/suggestions as well as tested Elemental Shaman on PTR for the past several weeks.

Changes below are NEEDED in some combination or form for Shamans to complete their transition from an easy target / undesired class in Arenas, to a viable and worthy class:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) Unleashed Lightning baseline / remove glyph***
2.) Ghost wolf baseline / remove glyph (OPTIONAL)*
3.a) Rockbiter Weapon 12-15% Damage Reduction passive effect.**
OR
3.b) Lightning Shield concept of 1.5-2.0% Damage Reduction per charge. (10-14% max)**
4.a) Earthquake cast time lower to 1.5 or 2.0s
OR
4.b) Earthquake is now instant cast but has 45-60s CD***
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally - Capacitor Totem needs to be reviewed. ***
Notice many threads suggest making this function LIKE A HUNTER TRAP.
This is an excellent idea.

Additional suggestions for Capacitor Totem to be more functional (PICK ONE):
- If capacitor totem is destroyed, it detonates early and applies stun effect (this prevents auto-attack kills)
- If capacitor totem is hit by a melee attack, the target will be stunned for 4s (similar to old stoneclaw)
- Capacitor totem is now untargetable
- Capacitor totem explodes after 4s (2s with glyph)
- Totem relocation is baseline
Edited by Shouzo on 2/3/2013 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
BREAKDOWN:

1.) Unleashed Lightning baseline / remove glyph***
- This change is NOT an option; it has to be implemented due to the large lack of GLYPH options Elemental Shamans have, especially in PVP.
- For PVE this change simply makes Elemental more FUN to play - that is not a bad thing.

2.) Ghost Wolf baseline / remove glyph*
- This is OPTIONAL; very much desired change that would make every Shaman happy, it will unfortunately give a very MINOR buff to Resto PVP...it seems this is not what developers want.

3.a) Rockbiter Weapon 12-15% Damage Reduction passive effect.**
OR
3.b) Lightning Shield concept of 1.5-2.0% Damage Reduction per charge. (10-14% max)**
- Shamans NEED an option to boost defense. I think that choice should be a double edged sword: LOOSE your DMG boost from Flametongue and GAIN the DR from Rockbiter.
- Additional and quite interesting concept proposed by many players is a passive DR from each Lightning Shield charge. THis is excellent for many reasons as it requires shield management and thought.

4.a) Earthquake cast time lower to 1.5 or 2.0s
OR
4.b) Earthquake is now instant cast but has 45-60s CD***
- Earthquake could be such a fabulous spell....or at least it could be a useful spell. Although I use earthquake Quite often right now, it typically is in anticipation - rarely actively mid-duel / mid-arena match.
- The change is simple and self explanatory. The 60s CD option is the less OP option and SHOULD be implemented more or less.
ABOUT ME: I am an old time WoW veteran and Elemental Shaman expert. I've spent most of my long career in WoW learning, understanding, and playing the Elemental Class. I've ran realm first Heroic Raids as Elemental, I've competed on 2400+ arena rating, and I've spent hundreds of hours dueling (with a 8:1 win/loss ratio). Expecting to retire soon, I wish to help bring about the MUCH NEEDED changes to this wonderful class and encourage MORE players to develop the Elemental Shaman.

-Shouzo
Edited by Shouzo on 2/3/2013 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Apparently, GC thinks SR is all we need, and perhaps a DPS boost once they get to the damage phase on the PTR. Maybe, MAYBE, if the blanket nerfs were still going through, perhaps. At this point, DPS shaman are dead meat during silences.
Reply Quote
Unleashed Lightning really has to be baseline. Without the glyph, our mobility is by far the worst in the game, but with the glyph, the cast speed reduction is enough to make the spec feel slow and awkward. I ended up taking Ancestral Swiftness not because I particularly like the talent, but only to offset the slower casting of UL. Otherwise, it's unbearably slow. I can't think of any other situation where someone absolutely MUST take up a glyph slot in order to shore up a massively crippling design flaw. GC said that they're making glyph of Flame Shock baseline because it was mandatory, and I totally agree with the choice, but personally, Unleashed Lightning feels even more mandatory.

I also like the idea of Capacitor Totem detonating if killed. It would force people to hesitate a bit before mindlessly mowing down all totems, and it means that the stun will always go off no matter what, so if players want to avoid it, they have to get out fast.

I don't really PvP much, but from a PvE perspective, I'd still like to see these changes. Nothing too crazy, just small changes that would increase our quality of life.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
- Shamans NEED an option to boost defense. I think that choice should be a double edged sword: LOOSE your DMG boost from Flametongue and GAIN the DR from Rockbiter.
- Additional and quite interesting concept proposed by many players is a passive DR from each Lightning Shield charge. THis is excellent for many reasons as it requires shield management and thought.

Do you feel that resto shaman should be allowed to use Lightning shield if it increased def?

I personally don't understand earthquake. we use to have fire nova and nova totem. it's like there adding spells and taking others away. I remember dropping magma and spamming nova was amazing then they added earthquake and put nova to enhance.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I wish they would make Unleash Elements Flametongue worth casting. They gave us a new ability in Cata but we don't use because it sucks. In fact, too many abilities for Elemental aren't worth using. Is dropping Searing Totem worth the GCD? Earthquake isn't worth casting. Make our rotation more interesting by making our abilities worth using.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Do you feel that resto shaman should be allowed to use Lightning shield if it increased def?

I personally don't understand earthquake. we use to have fire nova and nova totem. it's like there adding spells and taking others away. I remember dropping magma and spamming nova was amazing then they added earthquake and put nova to enhance.

Yes, Resto shamans should be allowed to use Lightning shield but that would be foolish:
1. Resto shamans cant raise the shield like Elemental can (up to 7 charges) - an Elemental will have the ability to NOT use Earth Shock for damage but save their 7 charges for 7x2 = 14% DR.
2. Water shield --> More mana --> More healing. Again, this change is complete for Elemental.

Regarding earthquake: This spell is quite powerful is used correctly - not for its damage...but the knockback effect. The chance for knockback to occur over entire 10s period is ~65%.

I use earthquake in 50% of my duels, and 1/5 of my Arena matches... I'll cast it only once entire match because its extremely difficult to. With a longer CD + no cast it will be seen more often, and players will learn to use it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
02/03/2013 09:54 AMPosted by Odomus
I wish they would make Unleash Elements Flametongue worth casting. They gave us a new ability in Cata but we don't use because it sucks. In fact, too many abilities for Elemental aren't worth using. Is dropping Searing Totem worth the GCD? Earthquake isn't worth casting. Make our rotation more interesting by making our abilities worth using.

I agree on Unleash Elements although I still use it each GCD during duel, and occasionally in arena. However it is quite weak. The boost should be extra 50% dmg on next flame spell.

Searing is a MUST. It does quite decent dmg over its time, it does minor interrupts, and it irritates stealth classes.

See my post above about Earthquake - the spell is Good (Due to AOE knockback) , just near impossible to CAST. The seconds developers realize this, they will change it because its a beautiful spell and fundamentally "Shaman" however you dont see it often...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I was referring more to PvE. I use Unleash Frostband during CoF BGs as another slow on the EFC, and Flametongue just to get a little extra oomph for burst. But for PvE, it's all pretty useless.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 10:05 AMPosted by Odomus
I was referring more to PvE. I use Unleash Frostband during CoF BGs as another slow on the EFC, and Flametongue just to get a little extra oomph for burst. But for PvE, it's all pretty useless.

It's only useful with the Unleashed Fury talent, which is dumb. It should be a spell that we WANT to use all the time, not only with one specific talent.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I agree we need some help. PvP-wise, we're a hard casting class that can't create the separation we need to get our casts off. PvE, we've got a slow casting, weak filler spell that holds down our dmg and isn't enjoyable to use.

I'm surprised unlinking the shock cooldowns wasn't mentioned above, that's been a popular request too. I'd be happy with adding to the Frozen Power talent into so merges frost shock into flame shock. Now flame shock roots the target and applies the dot we need. Yeah, i know it's silly for a fire spell to freeze your target, but we could keep the cooldowns linked and it would help with separation.
Or change frozen power to a wind themed Blink spell. Mages got our heroism, and we could sure use something besides ghost wolf.

For PvE, look to the destro lock for some ideas. Crit % should increase LvB dmg as it does for the lock's guaranteed crit spell, Chaos bolt. The lock also has a way to buff the haste on it's filler spell, and a means to buff the LB cast would do wonders for dmg and enjoyment. How about a fulmination crit, or a 7+ fulmination stack hit would giving 4 LBs at +20% haste?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
There was an idea somewhere that Lava Burst will always crit, regardless of flame shock present, which lessens the hurt of having flame shock dispelled. You would only lose out on Lava Surge procs.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
@ Flipmode - I have seen reviewed countless requests for shocks becoming unlinked, however that is not a feasible solution. It IS too powerful of a change and its also TOO extreme.

Look, although I don't want Elemental to become a brainless OP class, I do want Good positive changes.
I also want REASONABLE and REALISTIC changes.

Let me tell you, I'd LOVE for Astral Shift to be a 8s duration 80%+ DR spell that can be cast while stunned..... but that's NOT realistic. That will NOT be implemented by the Blizzard Development team because they know it's too much.**

SHOCKS: Yea, they're somewhat clunky... and flameshock Needs a dispell mechanic (forgot to mention that).

Unlinking shocks = TOO huge of a leap / TOO sudden and powerful.
Making small changes however IS attainable and realistically possible. See ideas:

- Earthshock CD rests when you reach 7 charges.

- Earthshock CD UNLINKS when you reach 7 charges until you use Earthshock or drop the charges (Meaning, when you hit 7X lightning shield charges, Earthshock will stay OFF LINKED CD from the other charges so if you pop flameshock, you right away follow up with Earthshock)***

- Flameshock deals 200% of its remaining DOT damage to the target once dispelled (Yes, 200%. Why? This way enemy will discouraged from dispelling Flameshock IMMEDIATELY after its cast. Once the shock ticks a bit and has less than 50% dmg left, it won't be as painful.)
Reply Quote
28 Draenei Hunter
Different Class PoV

Interesting post. However some of the proposed changes are too powerful.

I'll only touch upon the things I disagree on.

Lightning Shield and Rockbiter Weapon Enchant suggestions are pretty cool. However elemental shamans are getting Shamanistic Rage baseline. That is pretty strong glyphed. Adding passive dmg reduction on top of mail armor and shamanistic rage is an overkill.

Capacitor Totem has a counter on live. You can still take the minor glyph to drop capacitor totem along with 3 other dummy totems. I don't understand why you are requesting for a guaranteed 5 sec stun that could potentially be projected @ range wherever you like every 45 secs.

Totemic Projection/Totemic Restoration are well balanced. You can either reposition totems wherever you like or you can get a shorter cooldowns on grounding/tremor. I don't see any reason to make Totemic Projection baseline. Which will allow every shaman to pick up Totemic Restoration. Dare I say Totemic Restoration will become a mandatory talent.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
Lightning Shield and Rockbiter Weapon Enchant suggestions are pretty cool. However elemental shamans are getting Shamanistic Rage baseline. That is pretty strong glyphed. Adding passive dmg reduction on top of mail armor and shamanistic rage is an overkill.

You do know other classes have major defensive cd's as well as passive reduction? Armor is no longer a valid argument either, hasn't been since Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
28 Draenei Hunter
02/03/2013 05:44 PMPosted by Sensations

You do know other classes have major defensive cd's as well as passive reduction? Armor is no longer a valid argument either, hasn't been since Cataclysm.

Yeah most of those cooldowns are 2 minutes or longer. Shamanistic Rage is on a 1 minute cooldown. And glyphed, it can prevent an entire shatter or multiple sets of DoTs from different casters in a GcD.

However you spin it, armor does help you against melee dmg. It is not inconsequential. Also, defensive stance for warriors just got nerfed.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC

Yeah most of those cooldowns are 2 minutes or longer. Shamanistic Rage is on a 1 minute cooldown. And glyphed, it can prevent an entire shatter or multiple sets of DoTs from different casters in a GcD.

However you spin it, armor does help you against melee dmg. It is not inconsequential. Also, defensive stance for warriors just got nerfed.

I'm not saying it's inconsequential, I'm just saying it's not as amazing as one may think :p. Considering other classes have such+.
Edited by Sensations on 2/3/2013 6:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Bowjobz* DOES bring up a good point regarding Capacitor totem.

It is a 45s CD and its an AOE stun... so a guaranteed stun is too much.

Honestly, it really needs a very simple change: lower detonation down to 4s / 2s with glyph.

With glyph itll give only the most devoted opponents a chance to kill it while non-glyph @ 4s it will have a chance of actually hitting someone.

Done.
Edited by Shouzo on 2/4/2013 10:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The glyph of capacitor totem needs to be baseline and the spell needs to be target-able. The spell also needs to be relocated where the reticule actually is instead of to the southwest.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/03/2013 05:38 PMPosted by Bowjobz
Adding passive dmg reduction on top of mail armor and shamanistic rage is an overkill.

Mail has been meaningless since, like, BC? Maybe Wrath?
Edited by Swampdonkeys on 2/3/2013 9:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]