Where do you think it went wrong in Cata/MOP?

90 Night Elf Mage
I will say that most people dont like the storyline of Cata. I dont deny this, it was pretty difficult to keep track of it all, but I really like the MOP storyline. Its fun and engaging to me *shrug*

But, I want to know where you think Cata had a turn for the worst, or MOP if you are not in favor of this expansion either.

Or what about good moments in the storylines? Where do you think they did it right, to have some optimism? For MOP, I was a fan of the Operation:Shieldwall storyline, where *Insert spoiler here*
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I think the biggest problem was that they just tried to do too much in Cataclysm, and the result was that they weren't able to spend the time they needed on all the content, and a lot of stuff at the endgame suffered.
Reply Quote
93 Night Elf Priest
They had to do a much-needed overhaul of the classic zones, but pushed the expansion out too fast. It kept the actual leveling zones to suffer, many important storylines to be abandonned (especially Alliance side), and some things to just have been rushed out.

A more personal grievance is that flying DID make the world feel too small. I also wish they didn't put a flight path at the started towns. Its a lot more impressive for a new player to arrive to Stormwind by the main gates than to be flown in so fast they don't even notice the area they're in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I love MOP so far. But here is my opinion on what was wrong with Cata:

Deathwing did not come across as cunning or even intelligent. He felt like a big dumb, lumbering monster, not a sentient adversary.

The elemental theme felt weak.

Zones were even disconnected. Loved Vashj'ir, liked Uldum, hated the others. The whole expansion felt scattered just like the zones were. Little bits of promise but nothing ever became great and focused.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The only thing wrong about MoP is the faction war. It's boring and should have ended with WC3.

Cata was a whole pile of disappointment. Well if Eternity was orignally going to be a raid tier for the War of the Ancients explaining Deathwing's corruption and showing us the Demon Soul (perhaps us getting it from there.) Netulon is still MIA, Azshara has his Trident. Gilneas was introduced and then we weren't even given the city. Goblins were made homeless, because we don't already have smart homeless midget people. Dragon Soul was a terribley boring raid with 8 bosses and lasted for 9 months, BWD was barely explained to why we were killing Nefarian again other then "LOL HE'S DEATHWING'S SON."

Too much bad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
They tried to do too much too quickly, and so too much felt and was half done.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
The elemental theme was REALLY weak, because elementals are weak characters.

There's a reason the faction war overshadowed the main story by a LONG shot.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Right now, I think it's that they didn't do enough with the new races they added. I can't really say Goblins were neglected that much, because they got awesome stuff like Azshara and a real purpose for being part of the Horde.

Worgen, unfortunately, weren't extended that same courtesy. Instead of serving the role as the dark "Forsaken"-like race of the Alliance, they instead turned their curse into a blessing, made their patron deity influence a Stormwind human king, and transformed their characterization from gruff, patriotic Gilneans into furry Night Elves that love nature and just want to hunt in the woods. What's more, they seemingly fell into obscurity, and the only use their kingdom has seen is just to be part of a legendary questline meaning it has no real end to it that's feasible.

At the moment, I really think they should have just given Goblins and Worgen racial capitals. It would have been so much better and would have helped give them identity. You can't say nobody would hang out in Gilneas, because the only reason that would be so is because Blizzard hasn't given the racial capitals all of the same assets that SW and Orgrimmar have. If they would have just done that, then there would have been much better variety in where people choose to set their hearthstone.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
- Scattershot story. One moment we're fighting fire monsters, then suddenly across to world to fight cultists, now we're under the sea somehow, now we're in egypt.
- Pop culture references, everywhere. Uldum could've been great.
- Disparity between faction levelling experiences.
- Novels causing a complete cluster!@#$ in the timeline.
- Night Elves having one good zone.
- SuperOrc.
- Oh, and speaking of SuperOrc and Night Elves, Elemental Bonds. That entire thing.
- Deathwing was wasted potential. Gone was the scheming, manipulative dragon, in came a sentient sledgehammer.
- Worgen were wasted, and they didn't even get to see the conclusion of their story.
Edited by Gandred on 2/3/2013 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Cataclysm: They followed a "The world is about to end because this guy wants to kill everybody" story with a "the world is about to end because this dragon wants to kill everybody" story.

Stories need highs and lows. Having cultists trying to end the world was redundant and uninteresting in Cataclysm.

MoP: Overall I think they're doing pretty well so far, though the big mistake here is obvious: Some people are going to feel alienated by all the Chinese culture. Even playing certain races or classes in this expansion, from a role playing stand point, is awkward. It's like the majority of the NPC characters are either monks or warriors. What lore to Death Knights and Paladins have? Forsaken and Draenei?
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
The cataclysm also didn't do enough damage. All it did was create some inconveniences and destroy some quest hubs that were immediately replaced with better ones.
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Vyrin
There's a reason the faction war overshadowed the main story by a LONG shot.

The faction war is the main story. I hear we are raiding Org at the end of the expansion.
Reply Quote
Horde don't want to play the villain and Alliance don't want to lose all the time. Leads to a lot of unhappy people.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Cata: 1. No real Alliance story. This was lost because while the Horde gained new zones, which allowed Devs and programmers to just press the Delete button and start over (Azshara, Hillsbrad). This couldn't happen with Alliance zones because they gained nothing new so you saw some new stuff (Blackrock Orcs attacking Northshire) and then old stuff (those kids trying to run away and get married).

2. Pop-culture references becoming stories. Again, the need to "get it finished" left us with basically nothing good after a certain point. You can even see where the line between good and bad is in Uldum. First third of the zone is interesting cat creatures, last 2 thirds is Indiana Jones rip offs.

3. Deathwing and Green Jeebus. Thrall was a good character until he became a messiah for the entire world (why do Humans want/need an Orc to save them?). And Deathwing was about as boring of a villain as you can get. What happened to the dude who shrewdly manipulated every Human king in the world?

MoP: Ok so far. But if the Alliance doesn't get mad at some point I'm gonna scream. I'm not talking insane-detonate-everything mad. Jaina's reaction against the Sunreavers went from one extreme to the other so fast I think she may have emotional whiplash. I'm talking rightous anger, the sort that makes you want to protect your people and get them some justice.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Cataclysm had way too much focus on thrall and Garrosh.

The questing on alliance too was bland and there were alot of wasted oppurtunities to bring alliance heros into the fight.

Mists is having the same issue. With far too much focus on Garrosh and horde where the alliance is just reacting.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I'd go so far as to say things started going downhill in Wrath.

The Lich King and his forces just weren't written scary enough to really put much care in them, and Arthas was not nearly as ferocious as he was in WC3. Indeed they even tried taking him in the opposite direction by portraying him as remorseful in his actions. We saw this in the Arthas novel. Beyond that it was show up, threaten the player, get in a pithy fight and get his butt kicked a little forcing him to retreat, or he would just leave. Nothing really to encourage that he was much of an enemy.

Not to mention the fact that guys like Tirion, Rhonin, and a couple others were all "The Horde and the Alliance cannot defeat the Lich King on their own". Then we pretty much do exactly that in ICC.

Horde vs. Alliance seemed to overshadow pretty much everything else in Wrath and continued along this trend through everything since.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I still feel that failure to adequately expand upon existing story-structures is one of their biggest pitfalls in this game.

The players don't need a new continent every 12-18 months, they simply need progression (both story and character) and that can be achieved in virtually any zone. They should really start exploring themes they've already created rather than leaving them on the backburner while they create more half-cocked ideas to forget in 12 months.

Edit: By this I mean it would probably be easier to create "cap-level phases" of existing zones to re-explore existing conflicts (which allows for an elaboration of unresolved conflicts, be them between the playable factions or otherwise).
Edited by Fyersing on 2/3/2013 9:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/03/2013 08:32 PMPosted by Katarn
Horde don't want to play the villain and Alliance don't want to lose all the time. Leads to a lot of unhappy people.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
I still feel that failure to adequately expand upon existing story-structures is one of their biggest pitfalls in this game.

The players don't need a new continent every 12-18 months, they simply need progression (both story and character) and that can be achieved in virtually any zone. They should really start exploring themes they've already created rather than leaving them on the backburner while they create more half-cocked ideas to forget in 12 months.

Edit: By this I mean it would probably be easier to create "cap-level phases" of existing zones to re-explore existing conflicts (which allows for an elaboration of unresolved conflicts, be them between the playable factions or otherwise).

I agree with this.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Oh yes, I completely forgot about the worgen. A prime example of doing something the lore doesn't support just because players are asking for it, and then having to take a sledgehammer to the story to try and cram the square peg into the round hole. The result is that a dark, fearsome, mysterious, threatening, scary enemy became a group of angry druids, effectively losing all of those qualities.

I'm not just saying I wish they'd done the worgen better; I'm saying they never should have made playable worgen at all.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 2/3/2013 11:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]