Elegon (N10)

90 Pandaren Monk
Hi Guys was after some advice on Elegon.

So the other night my guild cruised through the first four bosses of N10 MSV and got to Elegon a boss which we have not downed before.

So me and the druid OT who have not tanked MSV before did fine on the first few attempts then we called it a night.

We went back in the following night but with a different tank who was more geared than I and he is also the Raid leader and high up in the guild. I proceded to die on every attempt when we went for the tank swap. I was getting pretty much insta gibbed. When looking in my combat logs I noticed i was getting hit for around 160k by his pull in ability. which in quick sucession with the adds explode and a few celestial breath hits was just smashing me down.

It was about this point when I realised the new tank was trying to run out of the fight early to clear his stacks before the add exploded.

I informed him of this and he didnt really listen instead trying to tell me I was undergeared for the boss and developed a strat, by which I only tanked the boss while he cleared his stacks then he taunted it back and i went back to add duty.

The annoying this was his new strat "worked" but only because he stopped trying to clear his stacks early after I mentioned it.

So i guess what Im asking is, a few things.

Is it possible to get out and drop your stacks before the add explodes?

Am i at fault for being undergeared. not fast enough to get in or doing something wrong.

is the Raid Leader at fault for not realising he was making the mistake and correcting it? (he pretty much refused to take criticism and believe he was at fault)

While i realise this is hardly difficult content and some people will probably scoff at struggling on 10N Elegon I would appreciate helpful advice.

Also would appreciate comments on my gear and changes or improvements I could make. aside from obvious upgrades haha

Cheers knoddy
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Gearwise, you're about where I was the first time we did Elegon and got him down after a couple of learning attempts. Save your Guards for the Breath. I'm assuming you've specced into Diffuse Magic. Also Zen Meditation will work on the breath since it's a cast ability.

When you say "pull in ability", you're referring to the one he uses when he grabs everyone and drags them to him? You shouldn't be getting hit with that at all. He only does it when there's nobody in range. When you pull (and then later, when the floor resets) whichever tank is tanking him should run into melee range before doing anything, including taunting.

This is how my guild does Elegon. Offtank stands near the edge, off the platform, with the rest of the group. Maintank stands to the side (if the console is 6 o'clock, he's at three) enters and pulls when in melee range. Rest of the group, save me as OT runs in. When the protector spawns, I run in and grab the boss, MT grabs the add, DPS kills him, MT clears his stacks takes the boss and I run off to clear my stacks before the next add spawns.
Edited by Meixie on 2/3/2013 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Gearwise, you're about where I was the first time we did Elegon and got him down after a couple of learning attempts. Save your Guards for the Breath.

This is how my guild does Elegon. Offtank stands near the edge, off the platform, with the rest of the group. Maintank stands to the side (if the console is 6 o'clock, he's at three) enters and pulls. Rest of the group, save me as OT runs in. When the protector spawns, I run in and grab the boss, MT grabs the add, DPS kills him, MT clears his stacks takes the boss and I run off to clear my stacks before the next add spawns.

oh wow that makes alot more sense ! haha well i know what to suggest next time we try.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
When you say "pull in ability", you're referring to the one he uses when he grabs everyone and drags them to him? You shouldn't be getting hit with that at all. He only does it when there's nobody in range. When you pull (and then later, when the floor resets) whichever tank is tanking him should run into melee range before doing anything, including taunting.

I know which is why i found it bizzare. I am aware that his pull in ability hits everyone in the raid. Yet Im wondering if it is a bug or possibly a mechanic that doesnt happen very often. Most definitely it was that ability that was hitting me for a large amount. and i was definitely the only one getting pulled in.

My Theory is that because im almost in melee range he pulls only me in and not the whole raid or something like that. could be a bug, i dont know but i was definitely taking that dmg from Grasping Energy Tendrils. and i was definitely the only one getting pulled in.
Edited by Knoddy on 2/3/2013 8:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Are you taunting or using Dizzying Haze as you run in? If you are, don't. If he's only grabbing you it's likely because you're the only one in combat with him at that second (before your DPS has opened up). If you're making the initial pull, just roll into him and Keg Smash as soon as you're in melee range (good rule of thumb is the red circle on the ground underneath him when he's targeted is melee range).
Edited by Meixie on 2/3/2013 8:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was taunting.

It was only on the tank swap not the initial pull. I would tank the add until it started casting the explosion then I would run in grab aggro and the MT would go reset his stacks and tank the next add. then we would swap again. I see now that the strat you suggested at the start avoids the tank taking a huge hit from total annihilation. because he resets his stacks and tanks the add.

The other tank was under the impression that if i Rolled in as soon as the add started casting Total Annihilation and taunted he could get out and reset his stacks before it exploded. but i dont think there is enough time for this. He was running out too early and i was getting gripped in because I was not in melee range but had aggro?

I can only speculate i guess.
Edited by Knoddy on 2/3/2013 8:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If I recall correctly, you have to keep the add inside until he's about 25% health and then drag him off to kill him. That also serves the purpose of getting the stacks off the MT. The way your strategy sounds is just an extra layer of complication. Try what I suggested: the benefit is that it works on Heroic mode as well. You just have to be faster.

The time between DBM alerting you that the add is spawning and the add actually being up is pretty long, so you have plenty of time to get into melee range with the boss and then taunt him off before the MT goes to grab the add/clear his stacks. That should help you avoid getting yanked around.

Good luck. :d
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
When looking in my combat logs I noticed i was getting hit for around 160k by his pull in ability. which in quick sucession with the adds explode and a few celestial breath hits was just smashing me down.

this ability is not supposed to happen. He only casts that if there's nobody in melee range. One tank cannot reset stacks if the other tank is not back yet.

well .. there should be someone in melee range, aka a tank.

A safe way of doing this fight is like this ...

Fight starts:
- Tank A starts the fight.
- Tank B waits outside (so he doesnt get stacks)

1) Boss cast breath on tank A:
- tank B run in and taunt the boss (by this point the add spawns).
- tank A taunts the add and tank him inside until ~20-25% then he pulls the add outside.
- tank A naturally reset his stacks by pulling the add outside, add is killed.

2) Boss cast breath on tank B:
- tank A run in and taunt the boss (by this point the 2nd add spawns)
- tank B taunts the add and tank him inside until ~20-25% then he pulls the add outside.
- tank B naturally reset his stacks by pulling the add outside, add is killed.

By this time usually the boss is doing the transition. If he isn't, you simply repeat 1 again.

The problem is that if the add takes forever to die, one tank might have to take a 2nd breath, with high stacks, that is problematic.

Ideally, the tank swaps happen shortly after the breath .. so the "high stacks" tank can tank the add (which hit for less than the boss), and clear his stacks when the add is killed.

But, like I said, simply remember this simple sequence:
- tank boss
- get breathed
- switch to add
- kill add and reset stacks
- back and boss and repeat.

you probably have big wigs or deadly boss mods, so just pay attention at breath's timer and save 2 chi. Guard is more than enough to soak pretty much the entire breath. Use Elusive brew right when you get breathed to lower the chance of being hit by the boss as well .. that is more than enough to greatly lower the chance of you being bursted down.

About your gear etc, here is a good read that will probably answear most of your questions:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7591979125

you can ask further questions about gear, rotation etc, over there, so me and other monks can help you out.

and concerning your gear .. I was in full blues when I killed him so yeah, you are fine.
Edited by Leeflow on 2/3/2013 8:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yes you are correct the add gets pulled off the platform at about 25-35%. Basicaly the only difference between your strat and ours is that you swap tanks before the add and we were doing it after.

Your strat makes a lot more sense tho and should make the fight a lot easier. will give it a go when we head back in next time.

Cheers for the help :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]