Illidan... Dead or Alive?

90 Human Warlock
We've been teased that Illidan might come back. The question is how? if you have an idea of how he might come back post it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Some demons die and get sent back to the Twisting Nether other demons die and stay dead. I'm not really sure what determines that.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
If you did the demon hunter quest in blasted lands you would see that demon hunters don't die you just seperate their body parts or w/e but when they join back they can come back. Maiv is probably carrying illidians head though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
02/03/2013 09:33 PMPosted by Darmonic
If you did the demon hunter quest in blasted lands you would see that demon hunters don't die you just seperate their body parts or w/e but when they join back they can come back. Maiv is probably carrying illidians head though.

Had to use powerful demonic magic to bring that guy back to life. It screwed him over when he fought the demon on the really tall rock.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
Which can easily be used to bring back illidian? Maybe he will be revived by elune I mean she brought cenarius back...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
even though we defeated Illidan i never believed we killed him. Maybe if Maiev took his head as a trophy I wouldn't question his death, but instead we left him beaten and broken atop the Black Temple.

Illidan was half demon half night elf, a powerful combination on it's own, and on top of that a master sorcerer. who know's the kind of crap he was capable of. Perhaps he faked death or maybe we did kill him and he res'd later, if warlocks can do it i'm sure he can to.

what i picture for illidan is pretty simple. after the battle where he is defeated and everyone leaves. Illidan gets up, brushes himself off, smirks, then fly off.

He doesn't need an elaborate resurrection. He just needs to wait for him moment to come back. the guy was in prison for over 10,000 years. patience is second nature to him.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The best theory I've heard so far is that the mortal half of Illidan's soul was taken by Frostmourne when he fought Arthas, and therefore released when Arthas died and perhaps went to the Emerald Dream.
(The guy I got this theory from did a much better job at explaining it, but I don't want to do a five-paragraph post.)

02/03/2013 09:41 PMPosted by Darmonic
Maybe he will be revived by elune I mean she brought cenarius back...

That could also be interesting, especially with what Tyrande would have to say to Malfurion about how her matron deity brought back his crazy brother.

If Illidan does come back, however, I hope it will be incognito (at least for the first part). Perhaps the player character goes along with this new night elf that happens to always wear a hood, and near the end of the chain he's revealed to be Illidan. I'm just throwing out ideas, but I'd rather he not reappear and be loud about it. The world killed him once already, so he'd probably want to be a bit more secretive with his second chance.
Reply Quote
The best theory I've heard so far is that the mortal half of Illidan's soul was taken by Frostmourne when he fought Arthas, and therefore released when Arthas died and perhaps went to the Emerald Dream.
(The guy I got this theory from did a much better job at explaining it, but I don't want to do a five-paragraph post.)

I see what your saying, and hell theres crazier stuff in lore. It does make sense, and maybe the reason Illidan lost it after the fight. They say he because insane, but maybe thats a better reason then just losing and running from the Lord of the Legion... after all Illidan's character always appealed to me back in WC3. Maybe his mortal half, can come back uncorrupted.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

That's what I think. At least Illidan had a reason to become a loot pinata. He didn't just decide to be a jerk one day, he had his soul sucked out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I played WC3 just like everyone else that has a major hard-on for Illidan, but I remain completely flaccid at the mention of his name. He is dead and should stay dead.

BRes Cairne.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Illidan's appeal comes from him actually acting like a Night Elf, being fierce and having a spine. I wouldn't mind if he did come back again and actually instilled some motivation in the Night Elves.
Edited by Grimtale on 2/4/2013 3:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/03/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Sefoniel
We've been teased that Illidan might come back.

Didn't this tease happen prior to the dungeon that featured Illidan? Maybe that was his return, or maybe I'm getting my timelines mixed up.

The question is how? if you have an idea of how he might come back post it.

Elune brings him back to help the Night Elf people survive and oppose the oppressive druidic elite the tyrant Furion propped up.

I don't necessarily want him back, but eh.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Id say Kil'Jaeden grabbed his soul to toture him eternaly when we killed him in BT.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When Illidan and Arthas fought at the foot of Icecrown Citadel, Arthas defeated Illidan with a single slash of Frostmourne across the chest. It's said that any cut from Frostmourne would steal the soul of the person on the recieveing end, and Illidan would be no exception.

However, Illidan was half-demon. This may have allowed his body to live on, even though his soul was now within Frostmourne. Obviously, this drove him completely insane, as seen in BC, and eventually led to his death.

Fast-forward to the end of Wrath. Tirion shatters Frostmourne, and the souls within are set free. One of those souls - perhaps - Was Illidan's. Unknowingly, we may have paved the way for his return with the defeat of Arthas. After all, the body that we killed atop the Black Temple was half-demon. There's a multitude of ways that Illidan could return from such a scenerio.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
When Illidan and Arthas fought at the foot of Icecrown Citadel, Arthas defeated Illidan with a single slash of Frostmourne across the chest. It's said that any cut from Frostmourne would steal the soul of the person on the recieveing end, and Illidan would be no exception.

It's also implied that souls come in different fragments and pieces. An example of this is the method in which Warlocks steal souls, only stealing pieces of their soul and giving name to the resource "Soul Shards".

It could be that certain fragments of Illidan's soul was consumed by Frostmourne, and that whatever soul we released when we killed him in the Black Temple merged with the other bits that came out of Frostmourne... but this is all speculation.
Reply Quote
I rememeber a blue post during 4.3 that indicated that Illidan was driven off the edge of Black Temple by Maiev instead of killed in a raid. I really need to find it if I can.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Illidan used so many drugs he can't be dead lol. Have you seen all the artifacts this guy consumed and used?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
We have a precedent for a demon hunter being reanimated: Loramus Thalipedes in the Blasted Lands.

I think it took some sort of fel magic to do it, so I imagine that's how Illidan would come back too.

Assuming, of course, that he comes back at all.
Edited by Gibbons on 2/4/2013 9:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
That's what I think. At least Illidan had a reason to become a loot pinata. He didn't just decide to be a jerk one day, he had his soul sucked out.

He sucked the skull of Gul'dan before Arthas cut him, though. So he was a jerk before the soul sucking :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Illidan snuck back through the timeways with you during the Well of Eternity dungeon. You never noticed because you were quickly trying to find the Leave Instance Group option while the lore was happening.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]