Illidan... Dead or Alive?

Illidan already came back.

In the Well of Eternity Instance.

And as much as I like Liam O'Brien, Illidan just needs to stay dead. There isn't much he can do in the story anymore.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
During the Blizzcon 2010 World of Warcraft Quest and Lore Q&A panel, Chris Metzen was asked about the possibility of Illidan being revived or redeemed, and Metzen replied that it was something he would really like to do and that he is a sucker for a good redemption story.

At the Blizzcon 2011 World of Warcraft Open Q&A panel, Metzen was again asked about reviving Illidan. He asked the crowd if it was something they would like to see, the crowd exploded and cheered in response, and he said they would work on it. He later revisited the topic during the World of Warcraft Lore Q&A panel, after being asked about the dead bodies of important villains. Metzen indicated that based on fan reaction they would most likely bring Illidan back, and would have to decide on a way to revive him, noting that his corpse would be very significant.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I played WC3 just like everyone else that has a major hard-on for Illidan, but I remain completely flaccid at the mention of his name. He is dead and should stay dead.

BRes Cairne.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I played WC3 just like everyone else that has a major hard-on for Illidan, but I remain completely flaccid at the mention of his name. He is dead and should stay dead.

BRes Cairne.

Cairne is dead dead.

Illidan is another story.
Reply Quote

^This.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

^This.

Not that. Illidan's coming back weather you folks like it or not. Now if you excuse me I'll be making a shrine for his return.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

^This.

You can't "come back" by having already done something.
Reply Quote
Basically what I gather from threads like this is "BOO HOO, Blizzard can't make good characters anymore, we need to bring back fan favourites in the worst possible ways and have "REDEMPTION" stories for them."

NO!

Illidan doesn't deserve Redemption, He went nucking futs, betrayed and abandoned his people, tried to enslave all of Outland to his bidding, all so that the people that he originally dabbled with (The burning legion, one of the biggest bads in the game) couldn't come and collect on his past mistakes and failures.

No. Just no. Let Illidan rest. He earned it.

Illidan, along with many other favourites, don't need to come back. Blizzard should be focusing on the future of characters and character development, not keep dwelling in the past.

Seriously, what is wrong with all of you?

Cairne is dead dead.

Illidan is another story.

Proof?

Illidan is dead dead.
Edited by Seebach on 2/4/2013 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Proof?

Illidan is dead dead.

Absence of evidence does not mean there is no evidence of him being alive. So no that doesn't work. Honestly there was no need to demean and condescend for people that want to bring him back.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 02:09 PMPosted by Lorthuron
Absence of evidence does not mean there is no evidence of him being alive.

The absence of evidence does not mean there is an evidence of absence either.

There is no evidence to support that he is alive, because I helped Maiev and Akama kill him, he fell over and died.

In Wolfheart, you also read about Maiev trying to rid herself of her memories of Illidan.

Pg. 40

"In her mind, each target bore the visage of a male night elf whose eyes were covered by cloth, as if he were blind. Sometimes the details of the face changed, but it was ever recognizable in her thoughts. She knew that face better than her own, having stared at it so much. In fact, her current exercise was also a futile attempt to eradicate the memory."

"But still she tried, slaying him again and again. That she had done so in truth did not matter. Whether as a cunning prisoner in the barrows or a demon seeking power over the world, Illidan Stormrage would forever be burned into Maiev's very soul."

He is stone cold dead, and his corpse is probably hidden somewhere that only Maiev would know, even assuming that she kept it, instead preferring to destroy it.
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Mage
"Maiev was...

...merely a setback."

Ohohoho!
Reply Quote
oh you
Reply Quote
I'm going to quote Aurria on this subject.

"He had a disservice being driven crazy and killed, but it'd be more of a disservice to bring him back."

Whether Blizzard likes it or not, their character of Illidan was killed, and he was handled poorly. He should remain dead. They have other characters they could work on to replace Illidan's role against the Legion, or they could easily make a new character to replace him.

Again, they have so many characters who are left twiddling their thumbs they shouldn't bring back the ones that they killed off.

Maybe Tyrande and Malfurion could use Illidan's memory as a reason to spark up Night Elf ferocity. I rather they use his memory, of what he did correctly, to aid the Night Elves. Make him a martyr.

Also, I never understood why people liked Illidan, in WC3 and the War of the Ancients trilogy, he seemed like a dickhead.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/04/2013 02:50 PMPosted by Seebach
There is no evidence to support that he is alive, because I helped Maiev and Akama kill him, he fell over and died.

The evidence would be that the developers want to bring him back. The subject was mentioned at Blizzcon and the audience exploded with enthusiasm.

People want Illidan back. Blizzard wants to bring him back. Blizzard storytelling has always run on Rule of Cool, and Illidan is pretty much the coolest character they've created. They recognize that they screwed up his story (and a bit of story in general) in BC.

The best thing to do is accept it as an inevitability, and look on the bright side.
Reply Quote
Just to throw in my two copper...

I wouldn't mind seeing Illidan brought back as a disgruntled ally. However, I wouldn't mind seeing more demon hunters in the next expansion at all, and if that doesn't include Illidan, that's fine with me, too.

Wait and see, I guess, though the devs have hinted at bringing him back.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
He had a vail with the waters of eternity. I'm not sure if he ever used it before we raided the Black Temple, but perhaps he used it before he died and used its magic to save him. Also the Demon Hunter at Blasted Lands was revived using blood magic not fel magic just to clearify.

I would like to see Illidan come back to life, but I also not mind if he stays dead, I at least want the nightelves to acknowledge him as some sort of hero. He prevented Fel Wood from being in an even worse state. He made a new well of eternity, even thought he got in trouble for it, the night elves continue to use the very same one he made. But even though he did a few good things, I will not deny he did some bad things like killing night elves in a town to get to a ship.

Point is...I'd rather have him come back. :)
Edited by Pepitøs on 2/4/2013 8:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
Illidians got slashed by frostmourne in warcraft III:Frozen throne, So maybe that slash took his Night elf soul and all that remanded after was his demon soul that is why he went insane? Also since frostmourne was broken....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]