Illidan... Dead or Alive?

02/06/2013 12:55 PMPosted by Jatzulak
It juts might not have happened yet. Maybe a nathrezims soul was trapped in their, and when it gets freed, it would come go back to the cycle and go spawn in the nether like nothing happened. So it is possible for illidan.

Except this is nothing more than fan wank speculation.

02/06/2013 12:55 PMPosted by Jatzulak
They were boring though.

Which is what I don't want to happen to Illidan. They'll bring him back and he will become a joke. Blizzard isn't very well known for pulling off returning people back to life successfully.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
02/06/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Seebach
It juts might not have happened yet. Maybe a nathrezims soul was trapped in their, and when it gets freed, it would come go back to the cycle and go spawn in the nether like nothing happened. So it is possible for illidan.

Except this is nothing more than fan wank speculation.

They were boring though.

Which is what I don't want to happen to Illidan. They'll bring him back and he will become a joke. Blizzard isn't very well known for pulling off returning people back to life successfully.

That depends on what you consider a joke. Not everyone will consider it a joke. There will be people who do but Blizzard cannot virtually cater to everyone's whims. What you find a joke what I find to be a joke.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

The evidence would be that the developers want to bring him back. The subject was mentioned at Blizzcon and the audience exploded with enthusiasm.

People want Illidan back. Blizzard wants to bring him back. Blizzard storytelling has always run on Rule of Cool, and Illidan is pretty much the coolest character they've created. They recognize that they screwed up his story (and a bit of story in general) in BC.

The best thing to do is accept it as an inevitability, and look on the bright side.

I'm actually hoping that they have decided not to do this for the sake of the character, and rather, focus on characters who need to be developed - not characters that they want to bring back.

AND the best thing for me to do is to hope blizzard still has some common sense.

Illidan was a cool character. They shouldn't tarnish what they've fought so hard to accomplish.

AND again

In Wolfheart, you also read about Maiev trying to rid herself of her memories of Illidan.

Pg. 40

"In her mind, each target bore the visage of a male night elf whose eyes were covered by cloth, as if he were blind. Sometimes the details of the face changed, but it was ever recognizable in her thoughts. She knew that face better than her own, having stared at it so much. In fact, her current exercise was also a futile attempt to eradicate the memory."

"But still she tried, slaying him again and again. That she had done so in truth did not matter. Whether as a cunning prisoner in the barrows or a demon seeking power over the world, Illidan Stormrage would forever be burned into Maiev's very soul."

He is stone cold dead, and his corpse is probably hidden somewhere that only Maiev would know, even assuming that she kept it, instead preferring to destroy it.

/thread.

P.S. You don't want them bringing back Krasus or Rhonin do you?
Yeah,... I don't think anyone but the most fringe theory loving kook here would claim Maive didn't mortally wound and kill Illidan physically.

Bringing him back would involve magic or supernatural elements. Death is not the end in this Intellectual Property, and wanting it to be the end is pretentious when people throw it around as an unreasonable rule as if Blizzard should have never brought a character back from death ever in the first place.

When it makes sense for the story, it's a good thing. When it's just for a rule of cool thing to make fans cheer, it's kind of lame. But when it's both, you're just pretentious to ignore one while criticizing the other.

Illidan's story has room for development beyond mortal death, there is still plenty of momentum and fertile room for development.
Edited by Elrith on 2/6/2013 8:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

[ sarcasm]Yeah, Sylvanas is such a universally hated character and her resurrection was just so unecessary [/sarcasm ]

The joke about Kael'thas "setback" has really turned the lore community into an an unreasonably jaded horde of armchair literary quarterbacks.
Edited by Elrith on 2/6/2013 8:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
76 Draenei Monk
02/03/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Sefoniel
We've been teased that Illidan might come back. The question is how? if you have an idea of how he might come back post it.

I am of the firm belief that Tyrande rezzed Illidan and keeps him chained to a bed in her basement to make up for her loveless political marriage with Malfulion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
If they do an Emerald Dream expansion it could be Illidan can be found there and only there. All gruff and surly, unable to return to the mortal realm to see Tyrande. Definitely would not want to see him redeemed. I liked the anti-hero aspect of him. Just have his current goals align with the players. Maybe that frees him.

Would be especially fitting if they do add a demon hunter class.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
When Illidan and Arthas fought at the foot of Icecrown Citadel, Arthas defeated Illidan with a single slash of Frostmourne across the chest. It's said that any cut from Frostmourne would steal the soul of the person on the recieveing end, and Illidan would be no exception.

However, Illidan was half-demon. This may have allowed his body to live on, even though his soul was now within Frostmourne. Obviously, this drove him completely insane, as seen in BC, and eventually led to his death.

Fast-forward to the end of Wrath. Tirion shatters Frostmourne, and the souls within are set free. One of those souls - perhaps - Was Illidan's. Unknowingly, we may have paved the way for his return with the defeat of Arthas. After all, the body that we killed atop the Black Temple was half-demon. There's a multitude of ways that Illidan could return from such a scenerio.

I really like this.

Personally, I just want him back. He's the best, most compelling, interesting, and complete character in all of Lore. I also want Tyrande to get away from The Most Boring Man In The World... of Warcraft.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Illidan doesn't deserve Redemption, He went nucking futs, betrayed and abandoned his people, tried to enslave all of Outland to his bidding, all so that the people that he originally dabbled with (The burning legion, one of the biggest bads in the game) couldn't come and collect on his past mistakes and failures.

And managed to save the World in the process by sacrificing himself compeltely. He absolutely deserves redemption.
Edited by Moët on 2/7/2013 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/07/2013 01:18 PMPosted by Lightning
If they do an Emerald Dream expansion it could be Illidan can be found there and only there.

I'm sorry but why would Illidan be in the Dream?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
They brought back so many people...

Onyxia, Kel'thuzad, Kael'thalas... and so on.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/07/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Rufyn

And managed to save the World in the process by sacrificing himself compeltely. He absolutely deserves redemption.

Yes, slavery, wanton murder, treason, conspiring with demonic forces, and insanity are ALL forgivable as long as they ACCIDENTALLY end up doing ONE instance of good.

Illidan deserves to have an eternal death, like the Theramoore folk.

He didn't have a soul it was stolen from frostmourne... and not all heros should be knights in shining armor, there is a such thing as "Dark heroes."
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/07/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Rufyn
That's not an anti-hero, that's a Villain. Everything he did he did for himself and only himself.

Illidan is a Type V Anti-Hero/Byronic Hero.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlidingScaleOfAntiHeroes
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ByronicHero

02/07/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Rufyn
If Deathwing had killed an Old God during his return, would you want him to be redeemed? You think that all the destruction and mayhem and unrest he caused is worth redeeming just because he ended up holding off another enemy on accident?

Hardly a good comparison. Usually people want Deathwing's characterization as a villain redeemed, rather than have him be redeemed into a hero.

But for Illidan, he at least does have some redeeming factors and could have easily been swayed back to the good guys due to their motives colliding with his as well as influences from people like Tyrande and Malfurion.
Edited by Grimtale on 2/7/2013 3:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/07/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Rufyn
He did a lot of evil things for no reason at all.

Not really. He had lots of personal reasons for his actions. Selfish reasons, but still reasons.

An anti-hero can be characterized as a selfish person as well.

Villain redeemed but not a hero? So... they want him to be neutral? News to me.

No, you're misreading me.

I'm saying they want to see the old Deathwing from WC2 come back. The Deathwing that was a magnificent bastard who was excellent at playing political mind games. I'm not talking about him being neutral or good or any of that.

Redeeming factors like, betrayal, consorting with our greatest enemies, +disregard of all life, and generally being a terrible person.

Well I pretty much stated my reasons for his redeeming factors. He even had a redeeming moment when he saved Tyrande, and he didn't even have to. He has also shown a care for other races, such as helping the Blood Elves in their stupor and taking in the widely-reviled Naga. (For good reason they're reviled, but it's still a form of companionship in its own right.)

Again, he's a terrible person who deserves a never ending death.

Honestly, I could easily say the same thing about Maiev. A character whose goals have also been fundamentally selfish. (Ironically, she's likely to be put in the chopping block as well.)

Although, I'm really not that kind of person. Maiev really annoys me but I like anti-heroes and can admit she's cool factor in her own way.
Edited by Grimtale on 2/7/2013 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Killed Ragnaros. He came back.
Killed Onyxia. She came back.
Killed Nefarian. He came back.
Killed all of Naxramas. They all came back.
Killed all of ZG. most of them came back.
Killed all of ZA. most of them came back.
Killed Kael'thas Sunstrider, twice in the same expansion.

so saying Illidan is dead and not coming back is just wishful thinking. some people don't stay dead in the warcraft universe.

This x infinity.

Seriously.... as if in countless fictional worlds/stories authors NEVER bring characters back to life/write new material where they never really died - A Song Of Ice And Fire (Game of Thrones) comes to mind immediately in addition to the above list from THIS Lore.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Kiljaden resurrecting Illidan as an obedient slave could work (perhaps further corrupting his appearance in the process) . Him eventually breaking free and regaining his control over himself would be a must in this case though.

Ultimately I'm fine with him staying dead.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]