Yes, another crappy DPS thread.

90 Human Warlock
So, I switched one of my specs to Afflic from demonology and tried it, expecting decent numbers, but was surprised to find that they were incredibly low. I went to noxxic and followed the rotation, etc, I keep all my DoTs up and going and yet, I'm doing terrible DPS. Is there some secret trick to Afflic that I missed? I do decent enough with Destro, nothing fancy but I manage just fine with it, yet my afflic DPS is just plain sad. I know I'm still a bit short on 15% hit, but I'd still think I should be doing quite a bit more than I am.

I ran VoM for the first time today the #1 on recount was an Afflic warlock pulling 100k, whereas everyone else was much much lower. I'm sure he's far better geared than I am, but I'm sure I should be able to manage 60k+

Could anyone offer some *constructive* tips on how to improve or point me somewhere with a better explanation?

Note: I know everyone is tired of these threads, but I'd like to start raiding more and I don't want to be that guy doing crappy DPS anymore. I'm spending alot of time practicing but I'm still not quite getting it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Noxxic tries to keep their guides simple, and with Affliction, they have simplified it to a point where it is simply incorrect.

Like Noctowl said, the Noxxic guide leaves out two extremely important pieces of the Affliction priority:

1. Only cast Haunt when you are able to channel Malefic Grasp for the entire duration of the Haunt debuff. If you're going to need to refresh a dot, lifetap, swap targets, or anything else during the 8 seconds of Haunt, don't cast it.

2. Use Pandemic to extend the duration of high damage dots, and don't overwrite high damage dots with low damage dots. There are lots of addons that can help you track your dot durations. Affdots is popular because it also shows you the relative strength of recasting a dot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
It's largely your gear. I wouldn't expect anyone to do much beyond 60k DPS in that gear.

My suggestion? Start doing dailies and get some valor gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
gear up baby! and then you will be laughing all the way to the top of the meters
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/04/2013 09:10 AMPosted by Latree
gear up baby! and then you will be laughing all the way to the top of the meters

Except behind mages ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/04/2013 09:15 AMPosted by Blinks
Except behind mages ;)

There can only be one caster on top of the charts >__>
Edited by Amnaesia on 2/4/2013 10:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/04/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Vreivai
I wouldn't expect anyone to do much beyond 60k DPS in that gear

He's quite right, actually.

See the thing is affliction doesn't scale well at low level because of the lack of stats. Pandemic helps you sacrifice some hit for other secondary stats but at sub 470 ilvl it isn't enough.

A quick simcraft of your current setup shows that your character can push just a tad over 61k. So adding small movement, phase changes etc, I'll ballpark it putting out around 52-58k dps depending per fight.

Some small changes that would help you out would be
-Change your spirit shoulders and belt for a better heroic dungeon drop.
-The 470 trinket isn't good. It's only an ilvl boost but it's pretty crappy and falls behind by a significant margin to the heroic drops ( Vision of the Predator and Flashfrozen Resin Globule ) If I remember correctly, Flashfrozen is slightly better than Vision, even though it has a huge on-use CD.
-Macro your Lifeblood herbalist ability into your opener. At max level herbalism it grants 2880 haste, which is a decent amount.

Good luck and happy warlocking!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
So, I switched one of my specs to Afflic from demonology and tried it, expecting decent numbers, but was surprised to find that they were incredibly low. I went to noxxic and followed the rotation, etc, I keep all my DoTs up and going and yet, I'm doing terrible DPS. Is there some secret trick to Afflic that I missed? I do decent enough with Destro, nothing fancy but I manage just fine with it, yet my afflic DPS is just plain sad. I know I'm still a bit short on 15% hit, but I'd still think I should be doing quite a bit more than I am.

I ran VoM for the first time today the #1 on recount was an Afflic warlock pulling 100k, whereas everyone else was much much lower. I'm sure he's far better geared than I am, but I'm sure I should be able to manage 60k+

Could anyone offer some *constructive* tips on how to improve or point me somewhere with a better explanation?

Note: I know everyone is tired of these threads, but I'd like to start raiding more and I don't want to be that guy doing crappy DPS anymore. I'm spending alot of time practicing but I'm still not quite getting it.

I am curious, and you didn't mention it, what kind of dps you were pulling as demo? Might be a nice point of reference to start from.

Gear does make a difference, the specific fight also makes a difference, and different specs do better than others out of the gate and or at higher levels of gear.

I average about 60k dps single target as destro in LFR with my gear. I don't have a real point of reference to know if I should be doing more or not. But watching my dps go up with gear on this toon and on my dk was quite different. My dk as 2h frost was putting out respectable dps right away and especially good AOE, so yay for howling blast. I still find it easier to put up big numbers on my dk, but I still need to learn to manage my runes properly in a raid setting.

I think I might switch and retool my gear for affliction and see how it stacks up this week when things reset.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/04/2013 10:13 AMPosted by Daveydemonic
My dk as 2h frost was putting out respectable dps right away

I noticed this as well on my dk.
I think the main difference is because of the weapon enchant. Fallen Crusader/Razorice is practically a free Jade spirit/Dancing steel which you won't really slap on a blue heroic or 476 weapon.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/04/2013 10:17 AMPosted by Amnaesia
My dk as 2h frost was putting out respectable dps right away

I noticed this as well on my dk.
I think the main difference is because of the weapon enchant. Fallen Crusader/Razorice is practically a free Jade spirit/Dancing steel which you won't really slap on a blue heroic or 476 weapon.

That would explain part of it then. I am the exception though in regards to the enchant. I probably would have enchanted his blue weapon with a higher level enchant if dks didn't use runes. I am one of those looneytoons who plays the AH though. ;)
Reply Quote
I am not sure why people are saying don't get hit capped its helped my DPS out a lot getting closer to the hit cap. I was pretty frustrated with my warlock initially because seemed like everyone had higher DPS and I was following all the guides I have read and even tanks were pulling ahead of me. Once I was really close to hit cap I started seeing DPS increase. The hit cap is tough to get in the beginning.

I notice the low DPS until I started raising my hit cap. Now my DPS has gone up quite a bit and the mod AffDots helped a lot so I can see when it would be a smart time to reapply dots depending on trinket prots and what not. My DPS still isn't as high as those with equal gear.

The hit cap helped though because I went from doing 25K DPS to doing 44K DPS and my gear is still pretty terrible. 44K DPS isn't really that great but its better than 25K DPS.

With afflictions it can be tough because you are looking at a window alot and trying to ride that window when your stats are the highest.

The mod affdots helps out tremendously.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Hit capping really isn't necessary until you're at much higher ilevels. I forget the exact number, but don't feel like you have to hit cap until you're around 490. Before reforging out of hit (and crit) into haste and mastery is what you're going to want to do.

Also, affliction scales a little funny with gems. Unless the socket bonus is +60 intellect or higher, you'll actually want to socket with +320 mastery gems. If it helps you hit the socket bonus, use the hybrid mastery gems, otherwise the 320 ones give you the most bang for your buck.

In terms of rotation, it comes down to timing your DoT refreshes, and coinciding your Haunts with your MG channel and pops, but you can probably see a significant increase just by changing up your gear.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
I am not sure why people are saying don't get hit capped its helped my DPS out a lot getting closer to the hit cap. I was pretty frustrated with my warlock initially because seemed like everyone had higher DPS and I was following all the guides I have read and even tanks were pulling ahead of me. Once I was really close to hit cap I started seeing DPS increase. The hit cap is tough to get in the beginning.

I notice the low DPS until I started raising my hit cap. Now my DPS has gone up quite a bit and the mod AffDots helped a lot so I can see when it would be a smart time to reapply dots depending on trinket prots and what not. My DPS still isn't as high as those with equal gear.

The hit cap helped though because I went from doing 25K DPS to doing 44K DPS and my gear is still pretty terrible. 44K DPS isn't really that great but its better than 25K DPS.

With afflictions it can be tough because you are looking at a window alot and trying to ride that window when your stats are the highest.

The mod affdots helps out tremendously.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots

Your almost hit capped for raiding (15%). For 5 man Heroics 12% is all that is needed.

The guides at icy-veins and noxxic are assuming your in t14 gear (ilvl 496) and raiding. That is how they set up the stat weights. Using their recommended stats before raiding or reaching a gear level will be near impossible or a waste. If you are doing 5-man heroics at 15% hit, your losing dps.

Going to those sites will give you general based knowledge. But that knowledge is worthless if we don't understand the context in which it is being presented. I followed those guides for the longest time but continued to suffer with dps issues. After more research and testing, I figured out that there were many other things that were not explained in that guide.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/05/2013 01:59 AMPosted by Magdeno
But that knowledge is worthless if we don't understand the context in which it is being presented.

I'm going to hang this above my door and make it my daily mantra.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]