How to get Secret/Hidden Pets

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Paladin
So I noticed something on the PTR: http://i.imgur.com/uQyRaHL.png

How do I have 601 Total Pets while having 379 Unique Pets and NO duplicates?! Then I thought: if I were a programmer at Blizzard with a ton of stuff to do, what would I do to give PTR players "random" pets?

I'd make it give the player 50 number of random pets between SpeciesID 1 and SpeciesID 1400. The thing is that about 1/2 or so one of those SpeciesIDs don't exist... but for the Total and Unique amounts to be different, some of them must exist (for example, tamer pets).

However, the problem is that there is no way to look for these "pets that don't exist but must exist" within the game. The API allows you to look up pets by Index (i.e. the order in your Journal, and these pets are not in the Journal), Species (but it doesn't tell you the PetID, so you can't know if you own it), and PetID (a 16 digit hexadecimal string).

I realized that PetIDs must be sequential on the PTR because the pets are all given to you at the same time on the PTR (when you log in). Therefore, I wrote an addon that finds the PetID of all pets in your Journal, then marks them as "found" and tests for the existence of "Pets that don't exist but must exist" at all PetID values within a range of +/- 3 of the "real" PetIDs. By systematically searching like this, I found what I was looking for.

So, if you want to screw around with pets that should not exist, here's the addon I made ("SekritPets"): http://www.mediafire.com/?tdpztddja95oxdi

Use Instructions:
  • Don't bother unless you are on the PTR.
  • Firstly, do "/sek" to generate a list of all the "secret" pets you have in chat.
  • Next, you can use "/sek summon" (and then link the pet into the chat message) to summon the pet you linked.
  • You can use "/sek setX" (and then link the pet into the chat message) to set the linked pet to X slot in your active pet team (X can be 1-3).
  • Additionally, you can do "/sek tamer" to generate a list of all the "tamer" pets you have.

Don't you wish we had an Undead Murloc pet with a glowing light on its head and the abilities Reckless Strike and Wish? http://i.imgur.com/42ZUWN0.png

Edit: Added one last feature - "/sek bof" tells you if you have any of the legendary "Beasts of Fable" added in Patch 5.2, roflmao. They have 4k+ HP and nearly 500 power each, and you could make a team with 3 of them.
Edited by Simca on 2/9/2013 9:36 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Very impressive.
90 Human Death Knight
Neat!
100 Human Hunter
So far, Jacob the Test Seagull is the most awesome, as he is also the BMAH.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/04/2013 09:52 PMPosted by Rynah
So far, Jacob the Test Seagull is the most awesome, as he is also the BMAH.

ROFL, that is win!

Edit: PattyMack 2.0 - WildBattlePet Test also functions as a BMAH.

It also causes a ton of errors in Blizzard AddOns.
Edited by Simca on 2/5/2013 3:47 AM PST
02/04/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Simca
You can use "/sek setX" (and then link the pet into the chat message) to set the linked pet to X slot in your active pet team (X can be 1-3).
I couldn't get that to work - 1-3 all put it in slot one.

Was able to click and drag them from slot one to the other slots, though, so still able to use multiple of these pets.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Good sir Lucky Yi, I'm sorry to inform you, but we have you outnumbered: http://i.imgur.com/01QfAJl.jpg

02/05/2013 03:23 AMPosted by Tajit
You can use "/sek setX" (and then link the pet into the chat message) to set the linked pet to X slot in your active pet team (X can be 1-3).
I couldn't get that to work - 1-3 all put it in slot one.

Was able to click and drag them from slot one to the other slots, though, so still able to use multiple of these pets.

Oh, derp.

Fixed in r6: http://www.mediafire.com/?tdpztddja95oxdi
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have the name Simca on every PTR server (except the second EU one), but I'm on Anasterian 95% of the time.

Edit: Also, I'm Alliance on Anasterian.

Edit 2: The PTR is shutting down same as Live though, it appears.
Edited by Simca on 2/5/2013 5:05 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
This looks so cool, but at the same time, heartbreaking. The Gurkster looks so freaking awesome. And he doesn't exist on live.

It's the same reason I haven't made a character on the PTR. The heartbreak of having Murky or a Panda Cub or another pet I don't have and, most likely, will never have, would be too much.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I can only guess that the Gurkster was possibly intended as a Vashj'ir pet - it shares a model with some of the mobs down there. There are a few other pets like that too ("Baby Shark").
90 Human Priest
Simca, I love reading your posts :D
90 Gnome Mage

How do I have 601 Total Pets while having 379 Unique Pets and NO duplicates?

You have 370 different Species in your collection. However to be a duplicates, pets have to belong to the same breed as well as the same species. So you can have many of the one breed without having duplicates.

I'm sure you knew that already, just typing it for those that may not.

How many pets can you have in a collection? When severely weeding my collection after hitting 600, I threw out 2 of my 3 rare Basilisks because I thought the limit was 600, and I was sure that crappy pet would never be usable. Next day there was a post here about a Basilisk team. At least, when replacing them, I found a fast one, so all was good. - Never played them, more a collector than a fighter.

Don't you wish we had an Undead Murloc pet with a glowing light on its head and the abilities Reckless Strike and Wish? http://i.imgur.com/42ZUWN0.png

I'm drooling. It's so disappointing that Vashj'ir has no pets, we have no undeads we can farm for undead stones, (Shadelings don't appear to drop them,) and I adore Murlocs. I even bought a Grunty on Ebay.

Edit: Added one last feature - "/sek bof" tells you if you have any of the legendary "Beasts of Fable" added in Patch 5.2, roflmao. They have 4k+ HP and nearly 500 power each, and you could make a team with 3 of them.

That would make playing in the PTR worthwhile.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The limit is 650 - I hit it just now on the PTR.

Also, I discovered (for God only knows what reason), you receive a new batch of random pets every time you hit "Revive Battle Pets".
100 Blood Elf Paladin

How do I have 601 Total Pets while having 379 Unique Pets and NO duplicates?

You have 370 different Species in your collection. However to be a duplicates, pets have to belong to the same breed as well as the same species. So you can have many of the one breed without having duplicates.

I'm sure you knew that already, just typing it for those that may not.

At least in the latest PJE, this is not the case - the unique pet count is purely species based (I deleted pets with the same species and different breeds and the Unique count remained the same).

Edit: I misspoke.
Edited by Simca on 2/5/2013 2:38 PM PST
90 Gnome Mage

Also, I discovered (for God only knows what reason), you receive a new batch of random pets every time you hit "Revive Battle Pets".

Should be 1000 slots, it's annoying to keep having to prune to make room.

That's weird, are they randomly replacing your PTR collection or adding to it?

At least in the latest PJE, this is not the case - the unique pet count is purely species based (I just tested by deleting a few with duplicate breeds and seeing the count drop).

That's what I was trying to say, obviously expressing myself fuzzily.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Proof that the Beasts of Fable suffer from the Wild Pet HP penalty: http://i.imgur.com/DK1kfPj.jpg
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Should be 1000 slots, it's annoying to keep having to prune to make room.

That's weird, are they randomly replacing your PTR collection or adding to it?

Adding, just like creating a new premade.

Also, it isn't JUST hitting Revive Battle Pets, you also have to fight a Pet Battle first (maybe have a pet take damage?).

However, making premades stops working after a while, while this one is consistent at least (if weird), so Revive Battle Pets after a battle is now the best source of "Secret Pets" to goof around with.
100 Human Hunter
However, making premades stops working after a while, while this one is consistent at least (if weird), so Revive Battle Pets after a battle is now the best source of "Secret Pets" to goof around with.

Keeping old premades around and logging into them every so often still generates them, though. New characters will also sometimes generate them, maybe 1 out of 3 times.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]