Guild Masters offline / raidloggers

I joined a guild a few weeks ago, they are new and still leveling up (now level 17ish).

I was quite excited to join them at first, so I've been helping them and I set up a website & forum for them. They promoted me to officer to help with recruitment but they are always offline playing other games. I feel like I'm the only one pushing it along.

Raid recruitment is hard because no one wants to join an entry level raiding guild, and social recruitment is hard because we only really have 3-4 active members, and they aren't very social...

I do like the guys, & get along with them when they are online, but its become a rare occasion :\ It's hard to build any sort of social atmosphere/community when no one else is trying. Not sure what to do. Whether I should drop it and just leave for another guild...

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This is a common story, often when someone gets promoted too quickly in a guild, it's because the GM doesn't want to be around that much. I myself, don't want to be around as much as I used to for a certain guild, and in all honesty, am considering handing over the reigns to someone else.

I was in the same situation, where the GM just didn't want to be that active as he had a big social life-that's how I became the GM of that guild in the first place. So often, if you continue to show your loyalty and devotion to a cause, you could very well end up being a GM yourself, which is always a great honor when someone puts that much trust and faith in you to hold the fort.

But you have to weigh that up, with how much you want to progress NOW. People have different play styles, and I would be honest to your GM about your feelings if you want to move on, because you just need to be with people, playing the game together now. It's totally your choice. Sorry if that doesn't help.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Well Subrosian, I respect that opinion, though how can you spend time with someone who isn't playing the game? He has been given a high rank in the guild...which means if GM goes afk for a long period of time...he could take over the guild anyway?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Well the decision is ultimately up to the OP. I hope he makes the right decision for him. I have found that GM's normally do appreciate you doing things that they can't be stuffed doing. I know I do. But that's just me.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
In a few weeks' time you have managed to set up a website and forum for them while they play other games? You are recruiting because they are busy elsewhere? I don't know, but at a few weeks in most of the guilds I have been a part of, or run, (social or raiding) you'd be just coming out of a trial period. This is not a slam against you in any way, just a question of the GM's interest in running a guild.

It can be nice to be given responsibility, particularly when you like doing those things. However, if warning bells are tinkling and you've come here to ask questions, I think you may want to take Sub's advice. Are you currently raiding with the guild, or is it still in the recruitment stage? Do these other officers and the GM plan on returning when you've done all the work of recruiting and putting together a team?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/05/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Eliil
I was in the same situation, where the GM just didn't want to be that active as he had a big social life-that's how I became the GM of that guild in the first place.

I think Eliil's experience is the exception not the rule. I agree with Sub and Giggle....you are essentially being used to grow someone's guild for them, but they still hold the reins.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Even if you succeed, you'll just have created a guild for someone else's benefit. If you're going to do the work of building a guild from scratch, why not build your own? Either start your own guild if you like doing the work, or join another guild with active leadership. You're setting yourself up to get screwed.

02/05/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Eliil
have found that GM's normally do appreciate you doing things that they can't be stuffed doing.

If a GM can't 'be stuffed' to actually run the guild, he shouldn't be GM. I'm sure he would appreciate having players to boss around, a bank to take stuff from, and so on, but there's no reason for the OP to do the stuff.
Reply Quote
They didn't ask me to do any of this stuff, I just volunteered to do it because I was desperate to get a good guild atmosphere running with a half decent raiding team. I couldn't find that before so I thought "Screw it, I'll do it myself". Recruiting didn't work. The prospect of starting a new guild, now, after trying to merely recruit a raid team, is daunting.

In hindsight I made a bad decision, because now the GM & leading officer have gone less active to pursue their own interests because they think I'm there to do things.

I'm thinking I will leave and join a different guild :\ thanks for the advice, guys.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/05/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Kogosh
They didn't ask me to do any of this stuff, I just volunteered to do it because I was desperate to get a good guild atmosphere running with a half decent raiding team. I couldn't find that before so I thought "Screw it, I'll do it myself". Recruiting didn't work. The prospect of starting a new guild, now, after trying to merely recruit a raid team, is daunting.

Depending on how many people you've recruited, especially raiders or near-raiders, you may have 1/2 a guild ready to go already. They know who's been leading.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Good luck Kogosh whatever you decide hun
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Nebliina is spot on. I'm sure alot of people in the guild see you as GM anyway for all your hard work, and lack of it from the actual GM. Be careful though, if you leave and others follow you the GM may over-react and think you 'stole everyone' behind their back.
It's awesome that you went through all the trouble of setting up a website :) Just a question though.... Does the GM ever visit the site or put any imput towards it?
Personally if I was in your position I'd leave but I know it can be a tough choice. I hope you make the right decision for yourself and everything works out for you. You seem like a great guildy to have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

In hindsight I made a bad decision, because now the GM & leading officer have gone less active to pursue their own interests because they think I'm there to do things.

I'm thinking I will leave and join a different guild :\ thanks for the advice, guys.

You could easily form your own guild and that way achieve the same results in creating an atmosphere you enjoy and not have someone come back in once you did all the hard work and say ok now I am going to run it my way and possibly ruin all the work you put into the guild

I think what you did is great.. but essentially you did all that work to make someone else's guiild work.. when that someone else could not be bothered

Find a guild you enjoy whose leadership is actively leading or create your own and work towards those goals with your own guild... good luck
Edited by Ssinfull on 2/6/2013 12:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Different people have different play styles. For me posting things on a website would feel like work and effort. I prefer casual and relaxed, though I still regularly pop onto guilds where I'm GM/officer to check on everyone. You have to be careful with such things. By the sounds of it, you want a lot more out of the guild, then what the GM wants.

The important thing is, to be honest about your feelings with your GM when you see him. Some Gm's just to log whenever, and just play the game. Some want their guildies to be a lot more social and connected with each other. By the sounds of it, you aren't happy and feeling under-appreciated. I felt that way a lot while I was helping level a guild, but one of the founder's of the guild begged me to stay and made me feel appreciated. But you have to do what's fun.

If you're not having fun, then perhaps it's time for a change like others said. Totally your choice though. I would just talk to your GM about how you are feeling though as soon as you get the chance?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Let's say you make it a success - you get the raid team off the ground, you're clearing content, you have active off-nights and levelers. Then what? These guys still hold the reigns. They control the guild bank, they get the cash flow, they're certainly going to want to raid on whatever toons they want and take whatever gear they want.

^ This is exactly what will happen if you put yourself out there and build up a guild that you don't own. You are basically working for a lazy, opportunistic boss. Unless the GM has some actually legitimate issue as to why he is away, such as an illness for example, he will simply either a. disband b. take your work and wreck it while taking credit or c. use you to profit.

Despite being the type of person who falls into my 'c' category, Eliil does have a point. There is a chance that your GM will just give you the guild. However, that chance is small, and depending on what the guild is worth (tabs, gold in bank, etc) he may either rob it or sell it off.

I suggest you attempt to obtain the guild from the GM or form your own. You sound like a good person and it would be a shame if your hard work got wrecked and you got taken advantage of. You don't want to know how it feels to build up a whole raid team and most of the guild to have it wrecked. It's enough to make anyone quit the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]