Monk Mana

90 Undead Monk
Is there a comfy level of spirit? I find even when I'm able to RM + jab + uplift as many GCDs as I can I still gain more mana than I spend. Should I start trying to gem some int (or crit) now? Or would spending more mana on healing spheres than jab increase my HPS... I just feel like I'm missing something. I mostly do LFR/easy stuff, but situations where my alts might go OOM (LFR Garalon) on this character I'm ending with way too much mana.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm sitting pretty comfortably at about 8k. I think at this point, I'm done with spirit. Mind you, this is running LFR and 10-man normal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/07/2013 05:46 AMPosted by Jasmine
Is there a comfy level of spirit?

This question cannot really be answered by anyone but yourself. You need to test different gemming to see how you feel, there is no magic number of Spirit that will be perfect for everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
MW can move to crit fairly early, I'm just under 8k myself on spirit with 6k crit. Because crit helps your regen with the chance to get more mana tea switching to it is easier. What you will find is that you'll eventually get rid of mana tea glyph for a lot of fights though. Being able to do a full burn on your mana then get right back up with 20 stacks during some down time is much better a good 75% of the time (think elegon after the orbs coming out. you can get a full 20 stacks during P1/2 and while dps are on pillars get mana back ready for P4/1/2 again).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Seems like 10k spirit is the magic number to aim for (that is, with flask and food buff).

Then again, I always raided with a resto shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Thanks, I actually tried doing a few bosses in LFR with a lot less spirit. Was 110k HPS on LFR tsulong, but we wiped. I like having less spirit, but I'll see if I can get my monk in a 10 man and try it out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Is there a comfy level of spirit? I find even when I'm able to RM + jab + uplift as many GCDs as I can I still gain more mana than I spend. Should I start trying to gem some int (or crit) now? Or would spending more mana on healing spheres than jab increase my HPS... I just feel like I'm missing something. I mostly do LFR/easy stuff, but situations where my alts might go OOM (LFR Garalon) on this character I'm ending with way too much mana.

No... maybe if ur only doing normals and LFR you can stop at 10k or something, but if you're doing heroics you will be forced to be healing virtually non-stop... even though crit is very strong for regen compared to other healers, spirit will still be top priority for a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
It's an alt, so I doubt I'll ever need to worry about harder content. But my issue was, no matter how much I jabbed, I always got enough mana back to keep going.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
your issue is that you are fine with mana ?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Yeah, I kept hearing I was supposed to stack spirit. But having over 10k seemed like too much since I can't spend it all.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
02/07/2013 09:15 PMPosted by Venom
Yeah, I kept hearing I was supposed to stack spirit. But having over 10k seemed like too much since I can't spend it all.

Do more damage/eminence healing and/or have your group bring fewer healers.

In my experience that is the way to adjust my play to different fights/comps. As more mana is available due to multiple hymns, mana tides, etc, I find ramping up my damage output will readily allow me to burn off the extra.

LFR is mostly about how hard are the healers in the group working, sometimes you end up carrying some undergeared/baddies or run into the special snowflakes that que as healer and then just dps and have to work your tail off, others you can coast because there's a heroic geared disc priest putting out stupid numbers...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

You shouldn't judge your mana needs by normal-mode raids and certainly never by LFR unless of course that's all you plan on doing.

In general, if you're ending a each fight with lots of excess mana, you should convert that into throughput wherever possible.

Also, try using less healers or tell the other healer to help dps as a healer until you actually need some help ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Do not judge mana regen on LFR. Or even HPS.

In heroic content, I can tell you without 10k spirit buffed I'd be hurting on some fights, the damage can be atrocious.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]