Vial of sands: Alchemist on open or making

90 Blood Elf Mage
So my question is a simple one, I've decided to start leveling Archeology for the vial after my friend told me I could make it once i switch to alchemy after i get my gathering alt up, if i keep leveling archeology now and save my jars until I power level alch, will they still have a chance to drop the recipe?

or put briefly. Does the skill check on the drop occur when u make the canopic jar, or when you open it?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Everything I've read has said you need to be an alchemist at the time, in order to get it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I've been doing archeology for a couple of years. I still don't have the recipe. *sigh*

At least I can turn all of my Pandaria solves into Tol'vir fragments. Maybe one day.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Definetly check to make sure the cost of premade ones aren't below the cost of making them. A lot of them were made last xpac using (illegally) duped sands, and they were selling below cost for a while. That stock might be gone now but it is worth a look.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I purchased Sandstone Drakes for myself and a few friends soon after they came out. I just like collecting recipes. I do still see the mounts for fairly cheap at times however.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Pitkanen
Definetly check to make sure the cost of premade ones aren't below the cost of making them. A lot of them were made last xpac using (illegally) duped sands, and they were selling below cost for a while. That stock might be gone now but it is worth a look.

Yes, check, I got on the buying end of mine (still have it) and bought it off AH for 3k...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You have to be an Alch to find it. You don't have to be the lvl to learn it, just to make it.
Reply Quote
I have an ALC and you need to be one first. I found my vial of the sands in my first jar. I know I suck haha.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This could be completely wrong, but here is what I've been doing...

My hunter is my archaeologist and my main is my alchemist. Aside from turning my Pandaria finds into Tol'vir fragments, I have a 16 slot farm in which I farm motes of harmony. I turn those spirits of harmony in to Danky for restored artifacts (then Tol'vir from there).

This is going under the assumption that I can send any canopic jar finds to my main and have her open them for a possible recipe find.
Edited by Soliloquý on 3/3/2013 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I found my vial on the first solve and retired from archy until panda land hit.
I still haven't gotten back into it. Most of my panda archy came from doing the
cloud serpent dailies and once I hit exalted I pretty much stopped digging.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
03/03/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Soliloquý
This is going under the assumption that I can send any canopic jar finds to my main and have her open them for a possible recipe find.

You know what they say about assumption...it makes an !@# out of u and umption. Canopic jars are BoP so your plan won't work. :(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest

My hunter is my archaeologist and my main is my alchemist. Aside from turning my Pandaria finds into Tol'vir fragments, I have a 16 slot farm in which I farm motes of harmony. I turn those spirits of harmony in to Danky for restored artifacts (then Tol'vir from there).

cant when the jars are soulbound

Suprisingly i got the recipe on my alchemist on my second jar which i think was my 4 or 5 solve

It is alchemy only though because my blacksmith has arch and he was my first to lvl blacksmithing and i never saw a drop from the many many many jars ive solved
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Farming for Bug Mount from Tol' Vir but got the Vial instead.

Bug Mount never appears ='(
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Druid
I have 2 alchemists lvl 600 with Archology lvl 600 and neither of them have the recepie....get ready for some bad RNG or u might get lucky.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I got my vial of the sands in the first jar I found. Problem is no one wants it anymore. There are better mounts for alot better price.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Indeed they are BoP. Oh wells. Maybe I shall just purchase it from some fortunate soul. ; ) Apologies on the late reply.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight

oooh, I like this. My alchemist is also my archaeologist and has like 400 useless motes plus the 16-slot farm to make more. So he doesn't have to worry about the BoP problem. I knew those motes would come in handy for something some day.
Edited by Mordraxas on 3/21/2013 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]