So gathering Goldthorn it's such a pain...

Anyone knows any area where to find a decent amount of Goldthorn? I need a lot of it and no matter where I look I barely find any. Tried Arathi, dustwallow, feralas... pretty much every area listed on wowhead and the spawning rates just make me want to cry. As far as I know this has been like this since cata... still no fix for this?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I haven't had to farm Goldthorn much recently, but WoW-Professions has rarely steered me wrong.

http://www.wow-professions.com/farming/goldthorn-farming
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The Arathi Highlands and the Dustwallow marshes are the best places to find it.

Goldthorn is one of the great failures of Cataclysm. It used to be much more common, and the Arathi Highlands used to be one of the worst places to get it, in the correct level range where it grew. However, Arathi was one of the zones that received the least changes. So ironically, Arathi is now the zone where you can usually find the most, the most easily.

I believe they HAVE added more Goldthorn spawns since Cataclysm, but it's still no where near as easy to find as it used to be. Also, the biggest impact is on Alchemy. Alchemy requires specific herbs to level. Inscription can use any herb in the correct level range and can easily get by that block using the far more common herbs.

Herbs used to have rules. Peaceblossom only grew in open fields, Silverleaf only grew in the shade of larger trees, Steelbloom only grew at altitude, on rocks, etc. The level ranges used to be wider, now they're very specific to zones. It really feels like whoever laid down the spawn nodes after Cataclysm did it with a spigot tool from high altitude over the map, and didn't bother to pay attention to the intended rarities (as indicated by the Alchemy leveling progression), or the intended "spawn rules" for the different types.

The care and precision of the original (vanilla) herb node placement is one of the things I miss from the pre-cataclysm era.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Burroc
I haven't had to farm Goldthorn much recently, but WoW-Professions has rarely steered me wrong.

Actually I did something similar than what it's shown there (the hinterlands/arathi pattern) and I got 7 goldthorn after doing that 3 times... when I need 55 to go past the alchemy bottleneck.

I believe they HAVE added more Goldthorn spawns since Cataclysm, but it's still no where near as easy to find as it used to be. Also, the biggest impact is on Alchemy. Alchemy requires specific herbs to level. Inscription can use any herb in the correct level range and can easily get by that block using the far more common herbs.

When I had to farm herbs for this character took really long. If they have added more nodes I don't see it because right now I'm farming for me and my bf and I feel it's worse. I was even gathering herbs as early in the morning as I could to make sure I didn't have enough competition.

... guess it's time for us to start trying to get world drop recipes to bypass the bottleneck.
Reply Quote
It is a pain to gather that herb. Just make loops around Arathi and Hinterlands until you have what you need.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Or save yourself many hours of frustration by simply visiting the Auction House and buying what you need.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I had absolutely no problem farming around Arathi -

I'd scoop up into the Hinterlands for other herbs to sell on the AH as well after a circle waiting for respawns.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Chances are if you are not finding much, the area is being over farmed by people actively herbing...

There is plenty of goldthorn in Arathi. If you are on a well established herbing circuit and finding none, do a 180 and head back the way you just came, you'll catch all the respawns.
Reply Quote
If you see other herb types, pick those up too. The node will spawn again and there's a chance it'll be the herb you like to have. I believe this is similar to how finishing pools works.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Since Cataclysm it has been fairly hard to find, either to farm or on the AH. I have found Feralas the best place to farm it if needed. Fly along the rocky outcroppings E-W in the zone and then along the rocky parts of the beach until you have what you need. CRZ may provide enough competition that it will be difficult to farm regardless where you go.

If you have the time to wait for it on the AH, that is the least painful way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Except it's over 300 gold for 1 stack of 20 - umm... No way!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]