I suck at tanking?

90 Night Elf Druid
Start tanking as soon as possible, as the lowest level possible. If you started a fresh tank, and did nothing but tank dungeons from lvl 15 to lvl 90, reading guides and asking questions along the way, you'll be golden by the time you start raiding.

If you start tanking at lvl 62 you'll still be fine once you get to 90. Just do it
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk
I've tanked a little on my DK and Pally, but for some reason I am resisting instances on my Monk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Everyone's nervous their first time or two. If you're really uncomfortable, bring a guildie with you for your first couple of instances so they can provide moral support.

Pretty soon, you won't even need them. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/04/2013 09:13 PMPosted by Funkymonkee
I've tanked a little on my DK and Pally, but for some reason I am resisting instances on my Monk.

You have guard now, just start tanking. Guard is hideously overpowered at that level and you really won't even need a healer as long as you do not pull whole instances at one time.
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk

You have guard now, just start tanking. Guard is hideously overpowered at that level and you really won't even need a healer as long as you do not pull whole instances at one time.

I tried Scarlett Halls and Monastery last night. I was ok at one and sucked at the other, but then again the healer was complaining they only had 2 heal options (druid) and another druid was in bear form. Also the hunter rolled need on a tank neck piece >.>
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If it was the first pull in the courtyard before you get to the cathedral, yeah, that is a rough pull. You have to LoS them into the hallway or you stand a good chance to get gibbed.
Reply Quote
89 Pandaren Monk
02/05/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Chuin
If it was the first pull in the courtyard before you get to the cathedral, yeah, that is a rough pull. You have to LoS them into the hallway or you stand a good chance to get gibbed.

Yes, that's exactly the spot. Will try a bit more.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Back in Wrath I had the same problem on my Pally. I wanted to try tanking but was scared.
My advice.
Then you zone in tell everyone up front you are new at it, make a quick macro if you want. At the end of the run ask people how they thought you did and what you could do to improve.

Then tank, tank, tank, tank, tank and then tank some more. I think over Wrath I tanked over 500 runs and even freelanced some raid runs on him, it was a blast!

Over time you will be able to feel how groups "tick" after the first pull, it is hard to describe but you will just "know", how to handle the run.

Edit: I scanned a few posts and one note. Never underestimate the power of line of sight pulls!
Edited by Frontiersman on 2/8/2013 8:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
19 Gnome Monk
Not much new or different here, but still. I actually just recently got over this myself. Spent the end of Wrath and all of Cata(until I quit in DS) as a tank and my main in MoP is a prot/arms warrior, but unless I'm with guildies I didn't tank. Didn't matter if I overgeared it, if I was better (or not) than the current tank, or if I could solo it. It just gave me some wicked anxiety. Fortunately, there's a really simple fix:

Queue as a tank. Die. Get it over with, you'll realize it is *not* that bad, and every pull you do you get better. Next thing you know, you're 4 dungeons deep with some fail rewards in each of your goodie bags and your roommate wondering if you're still going to the gym that night. And then you roll a monk and do a few dungeons and have a *blast*.

If you're like me, something that helped was take COMPLETE control. If a healer or dps is saying something, ignore them and tell them how it's going to be. I tried doing something a fail resto shaman's way and it led to 2 wipes. So we replaced him, did it my way, and pulled the rest of the instance flawlessly. If you want something killed in order, mark it. Don't expect anything from randoms. Also, no reason not to communicate this. Make a macro if it helps.

"Hi, my name is <name>. Skull means die, Moon means CC, and if the healer has 75% mana, I'm pulling. If this is your first time here, no shame in it, just let us know. Any questions?" Although by the time they're done reading I may be a pull or two in. Since the healer was at 100% mana. So yeah. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
01/31/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Waxle
Okay I'm gunna be straight forward (ignore the gnome dk) I really wanna tank but its scary, like the thought of leading a group and keeping aggro... It makes me nervous, how do I get over this and what do you think about monk brewmaster tank?

One thing I started doing on my lvl 66/67 monk - although he wears heirlooms, so this may not be that big of a feat - is if you have a lot of extra time, find a dungeon you can queue up for and go there and actually try to solo it. You don't necessarily have to one-shot it (By the time I got about halfway to the 2nd boss in Mana-Tombs I had died twice), but it does give you some good practice with what button to push when, up against some tougher than normal monsters and bosses. You can also go at your pace as well.

As a side benefit, if you do decide to 5-man it, all the douchebaggery from the other 4 can just roll off you like water off a duck's back, since you can do the run just fine without them. Knowledge and skill makes for some very thick skin.
Edited by Joewarrior on 2/8/2013 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Like many said - Just jump in and do it. LFR is bad for the soacial aspect, but good for the learning part- cuz u won;t see them again if things don't go well - not saying to abuse it- but put it in perspective with that in mind -that you won't have to see them again and it's like a get out of jail free card.

And really there is no such thing as failure, only learning opportunities.

Absolutely go Brewmaster. Why? Because u feel the call of tanking, so answer it. You want to BrM - so that'll be soemthing you like. And no, BrM does not have have 'more' abitlites then other tanks. Nor is it harder to play. It's just a different prioritization.

And abosultely tank at the level you are at and don't wait. Easier to practice, and easier to hold aggro at low levels.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
No DK r the best at tanking they r lest likely to die.
Ok I'll teach u how to tank
1st: relax don get nervous
2nd try ur Best to keep ur self alive
3rd don worry when ur in low health the healers can heal u
These r the main thing to do in tanking, an I love tanking too especially with my DK.
Edited by Merandia on 2/10/2013 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]