Disc Priest 10m Garalon

90 Blood Elf Priest
I am trying to heal a 10m garalon with my guild and i am just doing terrible. I have been kiting and might explain some of the problems i have been having. We are healing with a holy pally and a resto shaman. We have no tanks and a frost dps and rogue taking cleave. I think it may have to do with people being out of range for prayer of healing. Any help would be appricated
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Holy pally should be healing kiters, you should probably be on spot healing duty and shielding the pseudo-tanks with some aoe healing thrown in during your downtime. Is your raid melee heavy? If so, try to put all the melee in one group and all the ranged in the other for more even PoHing.

If your ranged aren't already trying to clump up, they should be doing so, both to help your prayer of healing, and to help your poor shaman's aoe heals.

Do you have logs? Those would be worlds of help for anyone else giving advice (I'll avoid going too in depth since I haven't actually finished Garalon 10m myself.)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Kiting is kind of a Disc killer, tbh. The real strength of the spec right now is in using PoH and you just don't have time between leaving puddles of poo on the ground to get one off.

I heal during kiting exclusively with Cascade, Holy Fire/atonement, Penance (sometimes offensive, but not always, depends on if I need to save someone specific or just generally heal the raid), PoM, PW:S, and Binding Heal. That said, there's still a lot you can do to help yourself out when you're not kiting.

When I run this on my disc priest (and we are a bunch of amateurs, I swear), we actually only kill the back two legs and one leg on the front, leaving the 4th leg up. This makes it a lot less likely that people will be out of range for PoH.

I complain until I get assist, and then I put both tanks and the first 3 kiters in group 1, the rest of everyone else in group 2. Since I am often a kiter as well, that puts me in the first group, and I can use my own position to make sure that PoH off of me will hit the current kiter and the 2 tanks and me, and hopefully the guy waiting in line to take over from the current kiter as well. I PoH off of a mobile ranged person in the 2nd group, like an ele shaman or a warlock, someone who I think is most likely to be trying to use the leg circle buff to game their dps. (I personally think ranged should stay off the legs but whatevs!)

Just before a crush hits, I PW:S the kiter - so that if they get stunned in a pool of their own pungency poo they don't die - and I Cascade off them as well. They're pretty far away so that tends to maximise that first Cascade bounce and give Cascade plenty of targets to choose from to ensure it'll be able to do its best healing. After the Crush stun, I pop Mindbender if it's up - no point in using it just before a Crush, because he'll get stunned too, and you'll lose some regen.

When I'm not just about to kite, or kiting, I tend to pop Spirit Shell when Pungency is at 7 stacks short of the swap point. E.g. if your raid swaps at 20 stacks, I'll pop SS at 13 stacks. I start building it up on groups with PoH, then GH anyone who that's missed, then another round of PoH to make sure the Shell is refreshed on everyone. I make sure to finish early enough that I can still PW:S and Cascade off the kiters.

When Pungency stacks are low I build my Evangelism with HF/Penance/Smite. Some Priests like to use the Glyph of Smite to bump up their Atonement healing, I personally don't bother. I also don't bother trying to stand in a leg and DPS the leg for the 100% buff. For me, it just doesn't work, if I focus too hard on that I tend to miss other things that are going on. It is undoubtedly better if you can swing it, but work it in slowly IMO :)

I use PoM pretty much on CD - the constant damage in this fight means it usually delivers its full potential pretty rapidly, so I wouldn't Glyph it.

For Talents I use Power Infusion (usually to get the raid healed back up after a nasty accidental Crush or a too high Pungency, but sometimes to get crazy Spirit Shell stacks), Divine Bulwark, Cascade, Mindbender. I Glyph Penance, Inner Sanctum, and Holy Fire.

I certainly don't think I am the best disc priest ever, or even particularly strong at that fight, but I have the same healing setup as you in my raid and this works well enough :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/31/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Dayani
I complain until I get assist

Love it.

Edit: and by the way, what a wonderfully complete and helpful description of how you heal that (with your setup) as disc.
Edited by Taymage on 1/31/2013 10:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Spirit shell more;)

But seriously @OP, Why rogue taking cleaves? Stick a plate class in there...And losing Rogues dps on the legs is never a good idea with his/her blade flurry. Just my opinion.

Otherwise we always have all the healers kiting and it essentially turns into a rotation of healers with one Rdps, usually hunter. Whomever just kited goes to heal melee group.(always furthest away from kiter) Whoever was healing melee, goes to ranged, whoever was healing ranged helps out where ever needed, when it is the Rdps kiting, it's likely near healing him + "tanks".

Hard for me to really say what type of spells/healing you should be doing as I havn't healed priest since Wrath. I'd make sure you can PW:S every time there's a stomp inc on whoever is actively kiting if you're in that area.
Otherwise abuse the living crap out of Spirit shell etc.
When your kiting, heal yourself as though it's a 5man dungeon and you're the tank.

Honestly, the "tanks" should not be taking much damage at all, and I have a sneaky suspicion that your rogue is probably getting smoked. Tanks rarely require much emergency healing or big heals, just maintenance. Particularly with Pally beacon and Resto Earth shield. Organize those.

Range is a problem with the melee group. You just have to be aware of their position as often as possible.
Edited by Tonydanza on 1/31/2013 10:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/31/2013 10:31 PMPosted by Taymage

Love it.

Edit: and by the way, what a wonderfully complete and helpful description of how you heal that (with your setup) as disc.

Thanks Taymage! I had a pretty frustrating first night of attempts on Garalon when my group got there, and I thought I'd help alleviate the pain.

Also, "Complain until you get assist" is going to be the first dotpoint in my priest healing guides, when I get around to writing them :-D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You have two of your best cleave dps soaking the boss cleave. We usually have an Hpally and a Bear soaking the cleave. We have two heals and two rdps kiting. The Hpally can heal themselves and the tank and 99% of the time the melee wandering around after legs. The other two heals kiting are staggered in order and heal the raid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/31/2013 10:25 PMPosted by Dayani

01/31/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Dayani
Also, "Complain until you get assist" is going to be the first dotpoint in my priest healing guides, when I get around to writing them :-D

I started raidleading mostly just so I would always have assist :-P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Spirit shell more;)

But seriously @OP, Why rogue taking cleaves? Stick a plate class in there...And losing Rogues dps on the legs is never a good idea with his/her blade flurry. Just my opinion.

Otherwise we always have all the healers kiting and it essentially turns into a rotation of healers with one Rdps, usually hunter. Whomever just kited goes to heal melee group.(always furthest away from kiter) Whoever was healing melee, goes to ranged, whoever was healing ranged helps out where ever needed, when it is the Rdps kiting, it's likely near healing him + "tanks".

Hard for me to really say what type of spells/healing you should be doing as I havn't healed priest since Wrath. I'd make sure you can PW:S every time there's a stomp inc on whoever is actively kiting if you're in that area.
Otherwise abuse the living crap out of Spirit shell etc.
When your kiting, heal yourself as though it's a 5man dungeon and you're the tank.

Honestly, the "tanks" should not be taking much damage at all, and I have a sneaky suspicion that your rogue is probably getting smoked. Tanks rarely require much emergency healing or big heals, just maintenance. Particularly with Pally beacon and Resto Earth shield. Organize those.

Range is a problem with the melee group. You just have to be aware of their position as often as possible.

*Just as a note, rogues are probably the best class you can have soaking while using bladeflurry on the leg. They ran run in and out, use feint on the cone and generally just not take much dmg. Ours does it and is usually top DPS as well.*

On the note of Garalon, first as disc you should not kite. Switch to cascade if you aren't using it and shield soaks and build AA stacks through atonement. Don't worry too much about getting double dmg through the legs, but abuse it when you can. Beat your ranged over the head with a stick to keep them within ~10 yards of the crush circle so you can actually use PoH somewhat. PoH isn't great on this fight in 10man, which is why you need cascade with everyone running around. Pop AA about 5 stacks before the switch so you can blanket the raid with SS as best you can. Pop cascade right before the stun. After people are out of the danger zone, resume atonement to build stacks while keeping shield up on soaks and PoHing when people are clumped enough to hit 3 targets. Also you can call for a stack before one of the crushes to use a PWB though its a total PITA to make use of it in this fight.
Edited by Taihou on 2/1/2013 4:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]