Why is WoW considered nerdy, yet Xbox isnt?

90 Human Warlock
02/01/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Crepe
They don't have a "You must be this tall" sign yet?

Size is relative.
When relativity is at stake.

So yes, they do have a sign & you're just bitter about it.

02/01/2013 05:28 PMPosted by Kiero
It's easier to roll your face on a controller than it is a keyboard. You don't even have to roll at all for a controller... unless a witch doctor got ahold of you first.

What games have you been playing?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
X-box appeals to bros and the bro mentality.

MMOs do not.

Sometimes I shoot testosterone filled men in the face with a sniper on CoD, and sometimes I cast pretty yellow heal on a giant cow wielding a sword - swinging it at a giant bug.

Do you guys see it now?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Consoles are mainstream and have been for years.
Edited by Zymosis on 2/1/2013 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
02/01/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Zymosis
Consoles are mainstream and have been for years.

Mmmmm... no.

They're still in the closet.

You don't go to a bar and pick up girls with your Xbox gamer ID.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/01/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Crepe
You don't go to a bar and pick up girls with your Xbox gamer ID.

Of course not.

You offer up your 3DS for them to play Scribblenauts on.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Rogue
Sometimes I shoot testosterone filled men in the face with a sniper on CoD, and sometimes I cast pretty yellow heal on a giant cow wielding a sword - swinging it at a giant bug.

Do you guys see it now?

Yes. However, I feel that the folks who can't get equally into both have little imagination.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
02/01/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Killercaitie

You need to get out more.
Reply Quote
39 Orc Warlock
X-box appeals to bros and the bro mentality.

MMOs do not.

This.

It's marketed to a demographic who don't self-identify as "nerdy", and who view "nerds" as social targets. They emphasize sports, they emphasize FPS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/01/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Crepe

You need to get out more.

The ladies love the Scribblenauts, what can I say?

I get it, you can't compete with Maxwell.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
The old stereotype that PC games are for nerds have a lot to do with it.
Geeks and nerds went to grab PCs when PCs weren't cheap and were playing games on it, while mainstream people did not dare touch computers and went for video/console games.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
02/01/2013 05:44 PMPosted by Killercaitie

I prefer Maxwell's Demon.
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Rogue
This.

It's marketed to a demographic who don't self-identify as "nerdy", and who view "nerds" as social targets. They emphasize sports, they emphasize FPS.

My nephews (10 through 20) play both, were incredibly excited to be able to try out GW2 on my laptop, have COD and play it often. Oh, and they're into some Zelda thing on the Wii. My family may be atypical, but the kids seem to enjoy games of all types.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
I feel a stirring in the Force.

I think we done been moderated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/01/2013 05:46 PMPosted by Crepe

I prefer Maxwell's Demon.

You're just jealous that you can't summon C'thulu to fight for you at any given time.

It's ok man, it's ok.

Back to the Xbox,

My buddy has one & while he does have all the Halo games, we usually tend to play fighting games on it like SoulCalibur, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc. & Rock Band.

Most people I know with them just play fighters over FPS games anyways, so the Xbox is not fully claimed by the "bros" just yet.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
02/01/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Killercaitie
You're just jealous that you can't summon C'thulu to fight for you at any given time.

Stasheff did a couple of stories on Maxwell's demon.

Even Lovecraft would be afraid of that much power.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
02/01/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Killercaitie
You offer up your 3DS

I just found out there's a new Fire Emblem coming out for the 3DS.

Dammit, now I have to actually get one.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Rogue
Well, WoW isn't as nerdy as it used to be since it's basically the COD of mmos, but xbox and consoles in general aren't considered nerdy anymore because they have become pretty mainstream and practically everyone has one now. Also, shooters...it's what the cool kids play now and whatever they do can't be nerdy for some reason.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Likely because tons of people (myself included) consider PC gaming a joke.

Xbox is about chilling with your friends on the couch splitscreen or online while blowing up warthogs together. PCs are about being hunched over a desk, paying triple the amount of money of a 360, for the sole reason of modding, AKA finishing the developer's game. Of course, MMOs are the only games that should be played on this "Master Platform".

And I'd play a console exclusive like Halo, Zelda, etc. over any PC exclusive like Starcraft or Diablo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Likely because tons of people (myself included) consider PC gaming a joke.

Xbox is about chilling with your friends on the couch splitscreen or online while blowing up warthogs together. PCs are about being hunched over a desk, paying triple the amount of money of a 360, for the sole reason of modding, AKA finishing the developer's game. Of course, MMOs are the only games that should be played on this "Master Platform".

And I'd play a console exclusive like Halo, Zelda, etc. over any PC exclusive like Starcraft or Diablo.

And let the PC vs. Console war begin! That's if I don't kill the thread.. as usual.
Jesus, hardly three pages in to...

Because non WoW players assume this is what your typical player looks like

http://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/RMcGuigan/english138/images/larping_cs_0605.jpg

Yep, I have a friend that has that sort of mentality of WoW gamers. Had to correct it though.
Edited by Nevintsha on 2/1/2013 8:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
I didn't know WoW was seen as nerdy. As someone else said, WoW is like the CoD of MMOs. In fact, the only people I can think of who would actually think someone is nerdy for playing WoW are the Fragheads who are so insecure that they feel the need to be over the top macho. Fun thing to do if you play both FPS (and are good) and WoW. When someone starts raging over the mic about you headshotting them or getting a killing spree, tell them you thought you were healing them like you do in WoW.

I have never heard people rage harder when I've said that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]