Lost Dad needs help (game time, future cost)

1 Night Elf Warrior
Hi I got this game for my kid about the summer time 2012. I can find my way around in the tech world ok but in here I don’t really understand how everything works. My kid is really good at these games, but this part needs my help. So please go easy on me, first I’ll let youall know the background and questions on how we need help:

Background:
1. Our PC and connections are both not the fastest thing going.
2. Bought the WOW s/w altogether because they had a sale at the time. (in preparation for the release to Mist of Pandora?)
a. Battle Chest with WOW and Burning Crusade
b. Wrath of the Lich King
c. Cataclysm
3. When we try to load the Wrath of the Lich King disk it keeps stopping at 74%.
4. In between my business trips and other life events I was not able to fully engage the problems for my kid. (load the Lich King & Cataclysm disks)
5. Well my kid was able to play a little but with the slow PC and connections some days it didn’t work. (I think) This result in a play time ran out, I felt this was unfair because didn’t get what we paid for.
6. I recently read that the Lich King & Cataclysm disks don’t have to be loaded just put the game code in. I did this but the account status still say Frozen (Game time expired)

Questions:
1. So was I correct that the Lich King & Cataclysm disks don’t have to be loaded just put the game code in?
2. How does this game work, after the 30 days then I got to pay for more time?
3. Does game time count by days or logon time? (from the way things had happen looks like days)
4. Does the Lich King & Cataclysm comes with more game time or this just an upgrade?
5. I read or saw news saying that they can play as much as they like as long as they are under level 20?
6. Price wise what is the cost between buying the digital purchase and the box set at the store?
7. Will these game work Win7 and Win8? (we’re still on XP)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Don't use any CDs prior to Mists of Pandaria (MoP). The MoP CD will have the full client on it. This is due to how the client and launcher have changed over the years and when you try to install from previous CDs, you'll run into errors and such.

If you do not have a MoP CD, you can download the game for free through Account Management.

When you first upgrade an account, it comes with 30 days of game time free. After that, there is a subscription cost to continue to play. This is generally around $15 for 30 days of game play. You can get discounted rates by paying for larger blocks of time (3 months or 6 months). This is counted by days, not time logged in.

Only the original game comes with free game time, the expansions have never come with free game time.

A Starter Account is a trial account without a time restrictions. You can play for free up to level 20, but there are a lot of social restrictions (chat, Auction House, mail, etc.). An upgraded account cannot be downgraded into a Starter Account. If your kid wants to play on a Starter Account, then a new account would need to be created (and not upgraded).

Prices will vary depending on the stores, sales available, etc. Blizzard recently had some very good sales over the holidays but retail stores were not running them. Shop around and see what prices are like near you. You can often find the game for cheaper somewhere.

Yep, the games runs fine on Windows 7. I've heard of a few issues with Windows 8 just because it's so new, but nothing major.
Edited by Selenic on 2/3/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
1: Yes! those codes are just for unlocking the content for the account. Though Lich King codes are no longer needed as they integrated that with the base account level now.

2: yes! Upgrading to a full account gives you 30 days.

3: days. used or not.

4: nope. only the base game gives time.

5: Only Starter Edition accounts (trial accounts) are free but under a lot of restrictions. Not going over level 20 is one of them.

6: depends on sales on the site and stores

7: yes and yes

As for your software issue. Check on the Tech Support board with help there. All accounts for the same region of the world use the same client software. You can download it from the website or install from the disk of the most recent expansion. Which is Mists right now. You will still have some downloading if you install off the disk though.
Reply Quote
11 Goblin Shaman
1. You don't need to use the disks at all, just enter the authentication codes. You can download the game client online here: https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/

2. After you 30 days free game time runs out, you will have to purchase game time or set up a recurring subscription in order to play.

3. It counts by days. It doesn't matter if you play or not.

4. The only thing that comes with game time is the Battle Chest, which includes the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King expansions. Cataclysm and MoP do not come with game time.

5. You can have a starter account that you can play up to level 20, after that you quit gaining experience. Starter accounts cannot use mail, trade, Auction House, chat, join guilds, etc. An account that has been upgraded at all has to have game time added to play, regardless of character level.

6. Unless there is a sale going on, I think it's usually cheaper to buy digitally if you are going to upgrade from starter to MoP. Otherwise, it depends on the store, or if Blizz is having a sale.

7. Yes, they will work with Win7 and Win8.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
and yes WoW runs on 64 bit systems too
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Questions:
1. So was I correct that the Lich King & Cataclysm disks don’t have to be loaded just put the game code in?
YES

2. How does this game work, after the 30 days then I got to pay for more time?
YES

3. Does game time count by days or logon time? (from the way things had happen looks like days)
Game time is used day by day if u login or not.

4. Does the Lich King & Cataclysm comes with more game time or this just an upgrade?
Not sure it did come with game time back in the day but as a bundle i bet not.

5. I read or saw news saying that they can play as much as they like as long as they are under level 20?
free starter account can play tell lvl 20.

6. Price wise what is the cost between buying the digital purchase and the box set at the store? about 15 less online. but u get no art/music and so on

7. Will these game work Win7 and Win8? (we’re still on XP)

YES
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
All u need 2 do is download Mist Of Panderia and dont worry about downloading the others.... But you have 2 redeem the codes so u can upgrade 2 Mist of Panderia... Simple as that
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Warrior
Thanks for all your help!!! Sorry for not replying earlier…

Also in a writing style I understand and used to, makes me wonder if youall are working in the same building as I…haha.

Yea when I went into the account it actually has two accounts Standard & Starter so my kid is back on the Starter playing. I say I’ll think about paying subscription once level 20 is reached (what a good incentive for a kid!). Why do I feel like that is around the corner sooner.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]