Unfair play by Blizzard -- "Insane" title

85 Human Death Knight
Months before MoP came out I decided I would start working to get my "Insane in the Membrane" title.

I created a human rogue specifically for this achievement. Leveled it enough so that I could go and kill the syndicate mobs in the Alterac Mountains easily. After days of grinding that rep to honored status, I decided to level my rogue more so that I could steal the junk boxes for the Ravenholdt rep easily.

In this entire process, I made sure I skipped every quest zone, even dungeon quests, that would give me rep with the goblins and lowered my rep with the Bloodsail Buccaneers.

I leveled my rogue to about 60ish and I started to steal junk boxes from Black rock spire and outside the dungeon where the orcs are in formation. In total I must have stolen about 1,000+ boxes.

I leveld 6 professions on my rogue (2 primary and 4 secondary), enough so that I would get the Darkmoon faire quests for rep.

I then went back to the Alterac Mountains. Set my guild standard and started to kill just 3 mobs by the port there so that I could raise my reputation with the bloodsail buccaneers from hostile to honored. From -36,000 to +12,000. I spent countless hours of monotonous rep grinding. Every night i would do that.

After countless hours, I finally reached honored status with the bloodsail buccaneers. Of course I was now hated by all of the 4 goblin cities (i.e. ratchet, gadgetzan, booty bay, everlook).

I was now honored with the bloodsail buccaneers, however I wanted to make sure that the achievement was as all the guides I've read said-- that I DIDN'T need to have honored status with the bloodsail bucaneers and be exalted with all of the 4 goblin cities at the same time. I decided to get that in writing by Blizzard and submitted a ticket so that a GM would confirm that.

I got a ticket response from a GM that was not all that clear. So I submitted a second ticket pertaining to this issue. The second GM told me via live in-game chat that the guides were correct that I DID NOT need to be honored with the bloodsail pirates and exalted with the goblins at the same time. I got that in writing! Yea i was happy!

So, then I started to try and restore my reputation back with the goblins so that I could get from hated status to neutral and start doing their quests. I farmed cloth and bought cloth... a ton of it and turned it in to restore my reputation with the goblins. I would farm the lower level dungeons for this cloth many times and the rest I bought.

Every time I would turn it in, my rep with the goblins went up but of course my rep with the bloodsail buccaneers went down as well. However, I had confirmation in writing that I didn't need to have those reps at the same time. So I was good.

I proceeded to do every single quest that would give me reputation with the goblins in the entire world of azeroth. All the quests.

I reached mostly honored status with the 4 goblin cities upon completion of all the quests offered in Azeroth that gave me reputation with the Steemweedle cartel goblins.

So then I started to kill and kill and kill to get from honored status to exalted with the Steemweedle cartel cities. I went to Tanaris, Stranglethorn, to the island next to ratchet and did another set of countless hours of grinding and grinding for rep. Countless hours of killing pirates.

After many hours I was finally exalted with all of the 4 goblin cities.

I then decided to finish stealing the boxes to get exalted status with the Ravenholdt faccion in Alterac Mts.
I would steal the boxes and go eat the food from the pilgrim's bounty so that I would get 10% more rep and go turn them in. For about 20 mobs I stole from, I would get 1 or 1.5 boxes. I mostly went to lower blackrock spire. This was a long process and the drop rate of those boxes I was told that it had been significantly lowered now. It took many and many trips to get all the junk boxes I need to get for 21,000 points of reputation.

By now, I had reached exalted with Ratchet, Everlook, Gadgetzan, Booty Bay, and the Ravenholdt. Therefore I decided it was time to get exalted with the Darkmoon Faire now.

I was so happy that it was the last thing I needed to do and that I will finally have the "Insane in the Membrane" title. I was going to put it on all of my toons. I was so excited.

However, it took me 3 months to get from neutral to exalted with the Darkmoon faire. I did every daily they offered, I turned in every quest possible (i.e. Monstrous egg, etc). I bought most of them. And since I had also leveled 2 primary and all secondary professions I was able to do those quests as well.

I finally reached exalted with the Darkmoon Faire last night. I stayed up till 3 am my time to turn in those quests and finally get my long awaited title. I was about to turn in the quest that I knew would take me to 21,000 or exalted status, but before that I told my friends in mumble..... Everyone was waiting to see my achievement come up in the guild. However, when I turned it in I didn't get the achievement. I only got the 10 reputation to exalted achievement that I earned with that specific character.

I was so shocked that I didn't get my title. Everyone told me to put in a ticket that it was probably a mistake and that a GM should be able to fix it.

I submitted a ticket and went to bed. I logged in the next day and I found a ticket response. The response said that I now needed to have both the bloodsail bucaneers and the 4 goblin cities reputations at the same time. This completely contradicted what the same Blizzard GMs have told me in writing months prior. The ticked furthered mentioned that this was a new change that was implemented in 5.0.4 and the GM sends me a link to those patch notes.

I read all of the patch notes and there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING written about the so-called new change to the "Insane in the Membrane" title.

I was so frustrated and I decided to submit another ticket. A few minutes later I get a live in-game chat response from a GM by the user name of Thunrix.

He begun by telling me that he was one of the GMs that six months prior confirmed me that I didn't need to have the Bloodsail bucanneers and the goblin cities reputations at the same time. But that it has now been changed. He told me in a very robotic manner that there was nothing they could do. He kept repeating that it was the rules and that when he told me 6 months ago that I didn't need to be honored with the BB and exalted with the goblins at the same time he was right but that now Blizzard changed it.

He kept saying that he understood my frustration and even typed smiley faces. For me at this point, that was a joke made straight to my face. And I made it known that I was upset and that I worked so freaking hard killing mobs and mobs for months. But like a machine he kept repeating that there was nothing he could do and that he was going to send me a good guide for the achievement. Mind you that I looked and read every comment of dozens of guides.

I asked this GM where was it written that the achievement was changed by Blizzard. He told me it was not written anywhere and that it was just an internal change. How was I then supposed to know?

He kept repeating that he understood how I feld but that the title was very hard to get. As if I didn't know that after months and months of grinding reputation every night, after stealing 1,000+ boxes, after actually leveling my human rogue specifically for this title.

So essentially I was told that I would need to do 70% of what I have already painfully achieved by countless hours of grinding again.

I am now very demoralized. I do not know what to do. I am upset and frustrated and I feel like I have been played by blizzard.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
The Devs are the one who make such changes, if the change is indeed intended. Game Masters have little control over how things change in the game, be it deliberate or inadvertent.

There are some players who believe this might be actually a bug and have posted on the bug report forum. This helps the QA team verify if the change is intended.

If it is intended, then you will want to direct this directly to the Devs and Community Managers on the General Discussion forum, or perhaps the Achievements and Guild Advancement forum. You could even pose the question via one of the many Twitter feeds the Devs and CM's use.
Edited by Hruund on 2/3/2013 4:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
there is a post on wowhead by someone (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Goju/achievement#81:a2336) who stated they 15 days ago got insane in the membrane while they were hated by the 4 goblin factions. so, he had the reverse situation to you, but it would seem like either you or he is experiencing something unintended. it'd be nice if a developer or someone would clarify what is intended to happen but all you can really do follow hruund's advice on where to post to try to get some clarification.
Edited by Yindar on 2/3/2013 5:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
02/03/2013 04:58 PMPosted by Yindar
it'd be nice if a developer or someone would clarify what is intended to happen but all you can really do follow hruund's advice on where to post to try to get some clarification.

In cases like this, Blizzard is quite intentionally "mute" on these matters. The GM staff, of course, can't provide game hints. And the development and community teams encourage players to try to figure out complicated (and optional) things like this themselves.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." -- The Fourth Doctor (in "Robot")
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
The achievement's requirement is pretty clear.

I am not sure what you expect exactly.

I don't even think its not possible to be at the reputation required with both the goblins and the Bloodsail's at the sametime.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock

I don't even think its not possible to be at the reputation required with both the goblins and the Bloodsail's at the sametime.

i'm not sure whether you intended to have the not in there, but it is possible to get all the reps at the same time it just greatly increases the rep grind, and in OP's post he specifies that GM's are telling him that you do need them all at the same time.

I don't agree that blizzard is intentionally mute on this issue either. here we have players who both have and have not gotten the achievement after doing the exact same things, and both have had it confirmed by gm's that you do and don't need all the reps at the same time (opposing cites from OP's found on wowhead.) i don't see why blizzard would intentionally give no answer about what is intended.
Edited by Yindar on 2/3/2013 5:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight

They expect their achievement.

Cymba.. re-open the ticket.
State that you've met all the requirements.

People are still obtaining the feat with one of the factions as hated.

Someone in in bug report forum has reported the same thing recently, the feat simply didn't trigger when it should have, and while the GMs can't do anything, it seems that some of the "higher ups" were able to help out, and the feat was granted, and was backdated.
The fact that it was backdated, seems to indicate that the system is seeing it when it happens, but something may be causing it to not trigger outwardly.

Bloodsail/Honored and Steamwheedle/Exalted aren't both requred at the same time.
-(I'm not seeing an Admirals Hat on the posting account?)
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

Bloodsail/Honored and Steamwheedle/Exalted aren't both requred at the same time.

Thanks Nobully,
I finally talked to a GM who helped me. He verified that he could make the change and minutes later I had the title.

Sorry I don't have the had because eventhough I received the quest to kill the guy, my rogue is only level 75. I did ask some of my friends to help me kill him but none have turned out yet. I still have that quest and I won't give up on it.

Thanks again :)
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
well the GM that you were getting your information from was wrong in the first place
I just got my insane title on sunday after i hit exalted with DMF and i did NOT have BSB at honoured.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm glad you got the title in the end - that is my biggest concern, that I had done the Bloodsail grind and gotten the title for being honored with them & doing that questline to get the hat. But now they are well & truly hated and I'm on my way back to exalted with all the Goblins. I'm hoping that I can get it as well without too much fuss...

Congrates on being "the Insane" though!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Considering this information I feel safe going back and finishing my grind.
Thanks hun.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Any time I see one of these QQ posts I think to myself why anyone would spend such an enormous amount of time doing an achievement and risk wasting their progress as shown by a faulty tracking system by tarnishing their reputation with one or the other.

If you are going to do something, do it the right way. It's not even that much harder.

You did not plan well enough and now you are paying for it.

/e I guess you aren't paying for it since the GM granted you the title. I personally have no pity either way.
Edited by Smolderthorn on 2/5/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Monk
Holy wall of text batman..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/05/2013 10:15 AMPosted by Smolderthorn
You did not plan well enough and now you are paying for it.

If you read the post, you'll see that the OP had been working on the achievement for months and Blizzard made an unannounced change long after the OP started. How can someone plan for that? You're an !@#$%^- who cannot read.
Edited by Gothitelle on 2/5/2013 4:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
If you were unsure, you should have done both--it's what i did.
It's also plastered all over wowhead on how to track the chieve which would have answered your question for you.

/run AddTrackedAchievement(2336)
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The poster did nothing wrong from a traditional standpoint, its just that now you need all reps at the required amount for it to work. before, you hit bloodsail's honored, you get a check from the tracker, and you move on, done, no more blood sail, goodbye farming goblins! Kill all the bloodsail you want and nothing bad will happen.

Sadly, now you need to go off to tanaris and kill pirates there to keep bloodsail happy and please the goblins all at once, something the poster found out the hard way. I feel for you bud but from my experience, life is tough and you have to keep on trucking.

I once had to spend an hour explaining to a GM that their game had a small bug where my old quest lines from when I got them in wrath were updated/replaced in cata so that when I was on step 2 of the questline from wrath, step three didn't exist since technically it was taken out of game. If you try and delete quest, you go back to step 2 of wrath line, not cata, leaving me in an infinite loop.

When you are 3 quests short of finishing a zone ... you get mad fast over things like this. Lucky for me, they simply deleted/reset my quest line so the problem vanished but in your case, I don't think they will give you free titles (though to be fair you earned it by now).
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I just never understood people who thought destroying bloodsail rep was fine to get goblins rep back up on an achievement called "Insane in the Membrane". Destroying bloodsail rep and essentially getting rid of half or a little over half the Goblins rep grind with minimal effort seems more like the "a little odd in the head" kind of achievement and not insane.

I also never understood why they felt like removing shen'dralar rep when redoing DM.
Reply Quote

Thanks Nobully,
I finally talked to a GM who helped me. He verified that he could make the change and minutes later I had the title.

Sorry I don't have the had because eventhough I received the quest to kill the guy, my rogue is only level 75. I did ask some of my friends to help me kill him but none have turned out yet. I still have that quest and I won't give up on it.

Thanks again :)

This is at least a little bit comforting. I'm about to begin this grind myself. I already have some of the requirements, like a few hundred boxes... I'm still nervous though, with so many people saying it won't work for them. I'll do it anyway, the normal way that is officially still supposed to work, and if it doesn't, I'll put in a ticket. If it doesn't work after that... I imagine I'll be furious >.<

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread with useful information.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
can i get a link to the guide that the gm gave you?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]