So got my DK to 90- silly questions Blood

90 Goblin Shaman
Before you say it- already read the sticky, have gone to Icy Veins etc. What I plan on doing on her is tanking- DK tanking is something different for me. The last time I actually paid any attention to the DK was back in LK and she was dps (every spec could be tank or dps).

The "rotation" itself I have down.

So, just some general silly questions:

1) Dark Command: do I save it as an "Uh-oh the healer has aggro" button? Or is it actively used (I know back in Cata on my warrior- taunt was somewhat in my rotation <until the threat buffs>).

2) Active mitigation: Rune Tap- do I want to be at a certain HP% before I use this? It's actually the main one that confuses me.

3) And finally this is my DK: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/staghelm/Ikeliwt/simple (you don't want to know how to pronounce that). I'm a little confused on the hit/expertise thing (Mr Robot is telling me to reforge OUT of it). Any assistance would be appreciated on this.

Just want to make sure I have a general grasp on this before I go in and get myself booted :).
Edited by Jujubiju on 2/3/2013 4:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
1) Dark Command: do I save it as an "Uh-oh the healer has aggro" button? Or is it actively used (I know back in Cata on my warrior- taunt was somewhat in my rotation <until the threat buffs>).

Taunt should never be in your rotation, ever. It was useless early on and it's actively detrimental now due to DRs on the fixate preventing you from taunting an enemy later if you need it.

02/03/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Jujubiju
2) Active mitigation: Rune Tap- do I want to be at a certain HP% before I use this? It's actually the main one that confuses me.

I use it when I need health. As long as you're under 90%, there's no overheal and it's not wasted.

I'm a little confused on the hit/expertise thing (Mr Robot is telling me to reforge OUT of it). Any assistance would be appreciated on this.

1. AskMrRobot is bad. Do not use AskMrRobot for tank reforges.
2. Unlike the other tanks, hit and expertise give us a negligible amount of mitigation. Get hit and expertise to make your rotation less frustrating and increase damage. We have a "soft cap" at 7.5% expertise because neither Rune Strike nor Death Strike can be parried.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Hasn't the "has no effect if the target is already attacking you" always been in the tooltip?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
02/03/2013 05:03 PMPosted by Krinu
Taunt should never be in your rotation, ever. It was useless early on and it's actively detrimental now due to DRs on the fixate preventing you from taunting an enemy later if you need it.

Yeah I had stopped using taunt early-ish on the warrior- mainly ended up being used as a "Save the healer" or "Taunt off the other tank" or "Other stuffs on cooldown- need to pull before people get impatient" thing- early on. Wasn't sure if Dark Command was pretty much used in the same way.

1. AskMrRobot is bad. Do not use AskMrRobot for tank reforges.
2. Unlike the other tanks, hit and expertise give us a negligible amount of mitigation. Get hit and expertise to make your rotation less frustrating and increase damage. We have a "soft cap" at 7.5% expertise because neither Rune Strike nor Death Strike can be parried.

1. Figured as much about Ask Mr Robot- I personally like wowreforge better for my healers.
2. Ok, that's what Icy Veins has- so I'll go with that. I just found My Robot's reforging as odd.

02/03/2013 05:48 PMPosted by Ðemolition
Hasn't the "has no effect if the target is already attacking you" always been in the tooltip?

I honestly don't remember. Haven't touched the DK since LK (left her at 80)- figured I'd get into her again. I was dps on her back then and made it a habit to keep any type of taunt off my bars.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
hit/exp provides with 3 things that make it worthwhile, whether these are worth the cost is up to you based on what you're giving up.

1: less misses= more dps/tps. keep in mind that getting hit/exp capped is worth roughly 6% more dps.
2: Scent of Blood stacks, 20% more healing per stack means larger blood shields which means more mitigation for the next hit.
3: Sorta with number 1, DRW has a better chance to applying it's own diseases the more hit/exp you have, which just means more dps.
Edited by Salloreon on 2/3/2013 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
02/03/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Jujubiju
1. Figured as much about Ask Mr Robot- I personally like wowreforge better for my healers.

Just use ReforgeLite

it can actually do the in game reforging for you, and you have to set the stat weights so its only bad if you make it bad.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/03/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Salloreon
1: less misses= more dps/tps. keep in mind that getting hit/exp capped is worth roughly 6% more dps.

Expertise doesn't affect Blood Boil or Rune Strike, so if you want more dps hit is really the only one to worry about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
02/03/2013 08:32 PMPosted by Foiblesqt

Expertise doesn't affect Blood Boil or Rune Strike, so if you want more dps hit is really the only one to worry about.

Isn't Blood Boil a spell? Therefore on the spell hit table? Therefore affected by expertise.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/03/2013 08:42 PMPosted by Persephon

Isn't Blood Boil a spell? Therefore on the spell hit table? Therefore affected by expertise.

I forgot about this. In that case expertise doesn't affect Rune Strike or DS heal, so it's till not very good imo for anything other than dps.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
2: Scent of Blood stacks, 20% more healing per stack means larger blood shields which means more mitigation for the next hit.
3: Sorta with number 1, DRW has a better chance to applying it's own diseases the more hit/exp you have, which just means more dps.

1:
It's a lot more than 6%. Getting hit to 7.5% from 0 is a ~7% dps increase by itself. Together hit/exp are ~11% gain.

2: it's still a net loss in survivability. You're not going to get a noticeable about of larger shields from the "extra" SoB stacks since more often than not you won't lose them much even with 0%. You are spending points into reducing the chance to lose 20% of your shield at the cost of potentially avoid an entire hit, which can be 50%-200% shield or more depending on what your tanking.

Get it if you want the dps. don't if you want the survivability.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Brother Krinu is right about Dark Command. It's wasteful as part of a regular rotation. I do find it useful in AV battlegrounds though. Hunters usually forget to turn that Growl thing (or whatever that aggro mechanism is) off on their pets and I use DC as much as I can to turn Galv and Drek to me as I back up against the wall so the DPS can whale away.
Edited by Brimlinstone on 2/6/2013 9:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]