Walk-Up RP

I should probably clarify that

02/03/2013 11:35 PMPosted by Philomene
It occurred to me that if we all looked at "likes walk-up" as "likes to walk-up" instead of "likes to receive walk-up" then there'd be more to go around.

came from

02/03/2013 11:35 PMPosted by Philomene
I get terribly frustrated when I expend that effort only to have to hold up both ends of the conversation.

as a sequential sort of thing. Occasion and not direct impetus, if you're still following along. I could be annoyed, or I could be (and encourage others to be) more proactive. Guess what I decided would be more appropriate?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Well, now, there are limits.

Usually, if someone interests me, I'll just make a forward gesture. I'll follow them or say something or throw a rock at them. Whatever.

But usually if they're alone, looking idle or do an emote at me first.

But it bothers me to no end when I'm conversing with someone and some death knight wanders up, stands in front of me and says "hello" to the person I'm talking to.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Well, now, there are limits.

Usually, if someone interests me, I'll just make a forward gesture. I'll follow them or say something or throw a rock at them. Whatever.

But usually if they're alone, looking idle or do an emote at me first.

But it bothers me to no end when I'm conversing with someone and some death knight wanders up, stands in front of me and says "hello" to the person I'm talking to.

*watches Jed steal Enekie's hood*

Crazy fox...

But yeah, I agee with Mena on this; it seems a bit too often that "loves walk-ups" means "ENTERTAIN ME!"
Edited by Kanas on 2/4/2013 4:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have to say in all of my years on WrA, I don't think I have ever been approached by someone who "likes walk-up RP". Like the OP, I take it to mean "I want you to walk up and start things because I'll just sit there and ignore your emotes".
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I wish I had a dollar for each bar fight I manage to instigate with a single question.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 04:27 AMPosted by Kanas
But yeah, I agee with Mena on this; it seems a bit too often that "loves walk-ups" means "ENTERTAIN ME!"

I'm seconding (thirding?) this. I mean, I'll give everyone a chance, but when it ends up the person is just wanting me to hold the conversation, I end up finding an excuse to politely duck out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I usually RP with guildies, so we almost always have some reason for our characters to be meeting, but when I do RP with random people(Or at least try to) I generally give people a /wave first.

If they don't answer it within a couple of minutes, if even only with a /wave of their own, I generally leave.

Also for whatever reason my overwhelming experience with "loves Walk-Up RP" has been that 'loves walkup rp' is code for "I'll stand here, you come to me, and I'll only answer after I read your MRP and see if I even want to RP with you or not".
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/04/2013 05:32 AMPosted by Sinfalore
Also for whatever reason my overwhelming experience with "loves Walk-Up RP" has been that 'loves walkup rp' is code for "I'll stand here, you come to me, and I'll only answer after I read your MRP and see if I even want to RP with you or not".

This has been my -exact- experience as well for a great majority of walk-up encounters. Because of this, I agree that an adjustment needs to be made as to how we advertise "walk up" RP.

"Walk up" does not always equal "welcome," unfortunately. My experience of late has been that most folks do not "make the cut," when it comes to walk-up, spontaneous RP :(
Reply Quote
I welcome and encourage Walk-Up RP on most of my characters, and I usually oblige with the intention to entertain as opposed to be entertained. Hell, on my warrior, I'm constantly running a smithy in Orgrimmar. Haven't had one customer yet. :(

This one...not so much since technically he's nowhere near civilization at the moment. But that will change.

Soon...
Edited by Madarak on 2/4/2013 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
In defense of the people who do have the 'Likes walk up RP tag' in their MRP. (I'm not one of them)

"Likes to walk up RP" is not really a message needed to be put in your RSP. It is an action you simply do. It is more of a mentality than anything else. An important mentality to have, of course. As I do agree that the best way to get and spread RP is to simply to be the first one to act.

"Likes walk up RP" does make for a good advertisement, on the other hand, because if you are too shy to start up RP yourself, you can at least encourage others but more importantly, it also works to help shy people feel more comfortable about approaching you.

I never put advertisements like these in my MRP. But I will have to admit that often being shy myself, I am much more likely to approach someone who has "likes walk up RP" in their MRP as opposed to someone who does not.

But this is also a problem that is simply not going to go away. Some people are extroverted, assertive, and more prone to leadership. While others are introverted, passive, and submissive. It's often hard to change the innate personality of a person. Some improvements can be made but there are aspects of personalities that 'just are.' It's not as much of a matter of 'people demanding to be entertained' as one might think. On top of that, the RP community is typically very judgmental so it is easy for others to become intimidated when it comes to approaching others.

It's easy to feel dejected when you walk up RP to someone and you get a response akin to "Sorry, this is a private RP" but in a much snarkier, passive aggressive sounding wording.
Edited by Rosalynnd on 2/4/2013 1:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
All my characters say "Walk-ups OK" on their MRPs.

There are many times I bring my characters to an area and start "/e" actions to try to encourage RP.

For example, with Prella, she is trying to figure out some anomaly at old Theramore, and is constantly reading her journal. But I don't just sit there with her book open, I constantly /e stuff like "Prella hmmms as she reads over her journal" or "Prella jots down some notes in her journal". Occasionally this gets her some walk-ups. Also, if someone near her is showing bigotry ICly, she'll inject herself into the conversation to try and defuse the bigotry like a good little Argent :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
The paunchy pandaren with positively pearly teeth pats the pudgy woman atop her poof of a pompadour to pander her produce pitch.

"Would you like to buy a carrot?"

BAMN. ROLEPLAY. GET SOME.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Honestly if I'm not already RPing with friends, I'll have my characters make passive emotes about what they are doing if no one is engaging them. Then if someone is interested, they usually come up and say something.

If I find a MRP/TRP(Get TRP people.) that is interesting, I'll walk up and talk to the person.

Aviric isn't a naturally curious person, so she will stay put and..make flowers or talk to her treant. Though I suppose my profile puts some people off, it makes Aviric sound intimidating or evil, I think. O.o
Edited by Aviric on 2/5/2013 2:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Honestly if I'm not already RPing with friends, I'll have my characters make passive emotes about what they are doing if no one is engaging them. Then if someone is interested, they usually come up and say something.

If I find a MRP/TRP(Get TRP people.) that is interesting, I'll walk up and talk to the person.

Aviric isn't a naturally curious person, so she will stay put and..make flowers or talk to her treant. Though I suppose my profile puts some people off, it makes Aviric sound intimidating or evil, I think. O.o

It's totally the ninja mask.

Though to answer the topic seriously: I have <3's walk ups in my mrp, not because I don't want to walk up to other people, because I do and often at that, but because I want to let others know that they can take initiative too or join in on a conversation and not fear me biting their heads off.
Edited by Reticent on 2/5/2013 3:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

It's totally the ninja mask.

It totally is.

Aviric is a character who leans more to evil than good, but she doesn't randomly kill people who walk up. She might be irritated, and she might wave you off. But persistent people end up talking to her for hours.

And I'm a nice person OOC, I swear!

In all seriousness, people think walk ups are like the old "sit down at the Lion's Pride and share your backstory." but personally, I think it's more like: "Come up and attempt to engage my character, despite the fact she looks evil. Let's spend an hour or so -doing- something." I want to fight you, talk to you, flirt with you, walk with you. Walk ups should be just that: Starting a rivalry or rapport with someone, or simply finding a stranger to talk through the night with. RP -something- with someone else.

I firmly believe that Walk-ups are the heart of RP. It is where you first meet your guildmates' characters, your character's lover, your character's friends. So do it people.

Anywho, I'm off to bed, so if that made no sense... Oh well, I'm sleepy. <3
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
I just love good walk up RP.

Walk up....even cross faction. I -dare- you.

;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

;)

I often /flirt with all female blood elves I see.

Does that count? :o
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

;)

I'm already friends with a lot of blood elves.

They keep trying to kill me, but we're friends. That's how our friendship looks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I've had cross faction rp. A BE blood knight spat on me as I was IC in Blasted Lands. Had just finished off a few infernals. OOC I was happy as a clam. Don't know if he was doing it OOC or IC, but there are those who hate demon hunters with a passion IC and I'll take anything while in the middle of nowhere RPing as I should be >_>;
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]