Scorch Fire only, New talent Flameglow

90 Human Mage
Well was nice knowing you scorch.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
From a PvP perspective while PoM with scorch could be interesting, I still prefer scorch for mobility so adding blazing speed, blink, and ice barrier just seems like super fun heh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
fotm fire here i come loool
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
The only people that like these changes are guys that plan on staying fire throughout the xpac, and lazy guys that don't mind scorch being gone, because now they got fireglow... or whatever it's called, and it's "awesome, because I don't have to press a button to avoid damage"... these are the same guys that are getting our class boned because they think the 10% nerf to invocation is awesome because it was "hard" pressing it every 40 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/05/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Supahotfiyah
The only people that like these changes are guys that plan on staying fire throughout the xpac, and lazy guys that don't mind scorch being gone, because now they got fireglow... or whatever it's called, and it's "awesome, because I don't have to press a button to avoid damage"... these are the same guys that are getting our class boned because they think the 10% nerf to invocation is awesome because it was "hard" pressing it every 40 seconds

Umm... scorch being gone makes arcane less lazy to play, fireglow is situational, and the evocation "nerf" under perfect situations comes to a ~1.5% nerf with the reduced channel time and longer duration and is easily a buff in most real world raiding situations.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/05/2013 06:36 PMPosted by Supahotfiyah
The only people that like these changes are guys that plan on staying fire throughout the xpac, and lazy guys that don't mind scorch being gone, because now they got fireglow... or whatever it's called, and it's "awesome, because I don't have to press a button to avoid damage"... these are the same guys that are getting our class boned because they think the 10% nerf to invocation is awesome because it was "hard" pressing it every 40 seconds.

From your post, you are clearly not keeping up with what is really happening. Invocation is not being nerfed. If is being buffed. I posted the numbers in another thread, but to make is simple:

You will spend less time casting evocation, so you will spend more time casting nukes. You will do more damage in total.

And seriously, do you really think having a 3rd damage reduction talent competing against two other damage reduction talents is a bad idea? Because blazing speed totally fit in that tier....
Reply Quote
I'm just concerned that everything feels very very unsettled and 5.2 seems like its almost here-- I sense that we may be in bad spots for an entire patch if they don't decide what they want to do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
i dont get why people is saying arcane mage is not mobile...
Arcane have an instant spell -> arcane barrage..
unless they mean mobile and do a lot of damage?

cheers
Reply Quote
OMG i love blink+blazing speed should help me out alot with getting out of !@#$. But i think i might go with ice flows.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/04/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Kaikou
Yes, Elemental and Hunters can do a lot of damage while on the move

Weird that they would mention elemental doing a lot of damage on the move, but not warlocks.

I'm so confused with their design direction right now. They've been pushing *all* casters towards having better mobile damage, going so far as to allow some of them to do their full damage potential on the move, then they decide that mages should be excluded from this rule entirely all of a sudden?

No, I think this is just a cop out solution for their failure to keep arcane mages from using scorch to camp stacks.

They had already solved the problem of arcane scorch weaving before this idea was implemented. Fire has almost always been the spec with the best mobile damage and im glad to see them going back to that. And they are not excluding mages entirely from being able to dps on the move, frost will most likely still have good mobile damage from ice lance and fire has always had excellent mobile damage. The only one being excluded here is arcane (same way it has always been for arcane up until mop hit). But honestly, if your not using it to camp stacks scorch really doesnt do much at all for arcane in the first place, so its a very small loss to trade in for an awesome new defensive ability.

p.s. every spec of every class has it's own niche. Not *all* casters can do amazing dmg on the move, just look at boomkins and s priests.
Reply Quote
Not liking this as arcane tbh.
Reply Quote
I'm tickled to see scorch go baseline as fire; It feels too essential in environments such as PvP, mobility and the ability to build hot streaks. As much as GC and his crew have this idea that mages should stand and cast in PvP. The uptime (and more importantly, burst) of some classes makes can make trying to do that feel outright worthless, really quickly.

With the Blazing speed change, Fire may go back to the run and gun tactics I grew to appreciate in Cata. Shieldless, High Mobility, and an absolute terror if I get an opening.

PvE Wise I can appreciate their changes in wanting to make us plan a little more instead of merely mashing buttons. And while I can see their reasons for possibly removing scorch, I think I would be very upset to see it removed altogether.

This may end up making Fire a bit more powerful than it needs, given the mobility of scorch - coupled with a one two punch of PoM/Pyros for stationary (which is already fairly in line.)

Other then that, I can't say I'm 'THRILLED' with all the changes mages are seeing. And in cases such as our 90 Talents I suspect the Devs know those abilities just can't stand up in the long-term, nevermind how unpopular they are among Mages.

I'm glad to see a bit more variety though. - And I agree on the 'based on spellpower' idea behind a passive damage reduction. Simply because with how some abilities have worked in the past, is there another way to balance it? It may end up far too weak, or far too powerful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can't be bothered doing the math but I'd be interested to hear how it goes against Ice Barrier in which absorbs more damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Scorch becoming a fire only ability just makes sense to me. When you are playing a certain spec you should stick with those elements. That and fire has always been the mobility spec and scorch is the main component that allows this to happen. Removing scorch from fire will completely destroy the playstyle that I love. Please don't do it Blizz.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/06/2013 05:23 AMPosted by Xenthegreat
I can't be bothered doing the math but I'd be interested to hear how it goes against Ice Barrier in which absorbs more damage.

Depends on the fight.

Example, quick napkin math on Garalon (since he is a nice damage high fight):
To make the math easy I assume 1 crush for each IB CD. Which is switching pheromones an average of every 13 stacks, maybe a bit more common then actual but close enough for napkin math. Net effect is about 25k different every 25 secs, with IB absorbing more.

So on that fight, is 1 GCD worth taking 25k extra damage? Since AE heals are typically dropped a lot on that fight I would go with flameglow. But, I leave the choice to you.

Other fights flameglow may be a clear winner, or IB may end up being the winner. Most of the time I think IB will mitigate more but of course costs you a GCD. So, if your healers are struggling, IB may be a clear choice. If they are not, Flameglow will allow you to do a little more damage. Will be largely up to you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I don't quite understand how this new talent will scale with spellpower. I can understand Ice Barrier because it absorbs a very specific amount of damage... something that absorbs a flat 25-30% doesn't seem like it should scale with spellpower.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the spell works - but I got the impression it's an "always on" effect.

Other than that, I agree 100%.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Nevermind, I understand now. I saw Lhivera's post and it makes sense. The damage absorbed is calculated by your spellpower (so let's say it's half your spellpower ~ 12k), it will reduce the damage of each hit by 12k - or 30%, whichever is less.

So if you're getting hit with sporadic big chunks that you see coming, Temporal Shield is still probably superior. (I still believe Temporal Shield should reduce the damage by 50% and then heal 50% of the damage that gets through instead of reducing the damage 0% and then healing 100% of the damage that gets through.) Otherwise, it's a tossup as to whether Ice Barrier will compete with this new one. For lots of little hits, Ice Barrier is probably the winner. Otherwise, this new one might come out on top.

I hope this new one has a nice visual effect (that you can toggle with a minor glyph).
Edited by Beaumagnus on 2/6/2013 8:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Nevermind, I understand now. I saw Lhivera's post and it makes sense. The damage absorbed is calculated by your spellpower (so let's say it's half your spellpower ~ 12k), it will reduce the damage of each hit by 12k - or 30%, whichever is less.

So if you're getting hit with sporadic big chunks that you see coming, Temporal Shield is still probably superior. (I still believe Temporal Shield should reduce the damage by 50% and then heal 50% of the damage that gets through instead of reducing the damage 0% and then healing 100% of the damage that gets through.) Otherwise, it's a tossup as to whether Ice Barrier will compete with this new one. For lots of little hits, Ice Barrier is probably the winner. Otherwise, this new one might come out on top.

I hope this new one has a nice visual effect (that you can toggle with a minor glyph).

I see what you are saying that there is a point where Ice Barrier and Flameglow switch which one is better depending on the situation. However, keep in mind that Flameglow is off the GCD and doesn't require you to press a button (so less attention meaning fewer mistakes).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Horrible change!!!

Scorch is made baseline for fire mages only. Arcane and frost mages won't be able to access scorch at all EVER.
This might be ok for frost mages who have ice lance. But arcane mage mobile dps pretty much becomes non-existent. If you're at the point of a fight where movement is unavoidable you're pretty much going to be useless.

Looks like we're rapidly reverting to vanilla wow days where the only spammable spell you could cast while on the move is arcane explosion.... YUCK!

arcane was never meant to be mobile...you stupid !@#$.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]