If CDevs Hosted Live Events...

Would you as a player/roleplayer be okay with this?

This is a question that I was asked not too long ago by one of my old Matrix Online buddies who's in the gaming industry. Long story short, MxO tanked due to a lack of development even after SOE bought out the game, but while the game lacked any sense of serious progression or new content, one of its main-selling points (at least for me) was the live roleplay interactions with developers that were controlling actual lore characters. They could mold the game's storyline in real time, and by doing so, give players a direct interaction with the game's lore in a way not possible by doing streamlined quests.

For Example:

King Varian Wrynn (controlled by a CDev) spends a night walking about Stormwind to incite the people against the Horde menace, where he involves the server's population in real time. It'd be possible for him to react towards players in-game, even acknowledging or giving them commands (say to a Stormwind-style guild) as a major leader in the Grand Alliance. Developer commands could be used to create events/actions that would not normally otherwise happen, similar to the abilities of a GM.

The CDev-controlled NPC would presumably act as we know the character in lore, and any action the CDev takes would canonize itself automatically.

---

As you might guess, this gives the CDev a lot of power in real time with the game's lore, more specifically its characters. Also, from a realistic point of view, I'd probably only see these sorts of events happening on roleplay servers - which would provide a benefit for playing there, as opposed to PvE or PvP servers which are uninterested in this sort of thing.

Do you feel this sort of interaction would benefit you as a player and/or a roleplayer? Such an event would not be mandatory for you to participate, nor would you get a benefit over others for going. Those who'd miss the event would be able to get a summary of the night's events in a positive light via an official outlet online.

I personally would welcome this, but I'd like to see what the community has to say as well.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
That would be amazing.

Though, the Cdev would need to watch what they say. And probably stick to somewhat "smaller" lore characters. In addition, they'd need to watch out for any trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
It would be amazing but there'd be no way that the understaffed Cdev department would be able to keep track of what's made canon by these events.
Reply Quote
02/05/2013 08:55 PMPosted by Vyrin
It would be amazing but there'd be no way that the understaffed Cdev department would be able to keep track of what's made canon by these events.

Let's pretend there were enough resources dev-side to realistically implement this.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
It would have to be an event that would take place every so often, and only one server at a time, but let's not forget the problems with all of this.

For example, if anyone from Cdev does anything involving Night Elves, they will undoubtedly add something that makes us look even worse which will then become canon. These forums would be on fire every other day.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/06/2013 05:47 AMPosted by Kyalin
For example, if anyone from Cdev does anything involving Night Elves, they will undoubtedly add something that makes us look even worse which will then become canon. These forums would be on fire every other day.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Fear leads to Bravery, Bravery leads to Heroism, Heroism can save us all.

See I can be a jerk too Yoda.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight

Not welcome in my swamp, you are.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior

Not welcome in my swamp, you are.

Lol, I did.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
02/06/2013 06:04 AMPosted by Gandred

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Fear leads to anger. Anger don't lead to hate. It leads to an !@# whoopin.
Reply Quote
66 Troll Druid
I get the idea that the CDevs are really really careful about what they say (as they are admittedly not perfect about what they do say already), so I imagine they don't want to risk individual instances of lore characters contradicting each other or pre-established characterization. There's a reason blues never ever post on these forums, and it's because they don't want to say anything without vetting it first.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Heh, reminds me of that news story I read about back when Ultima Online was in beta, the developers tried doing something like that with King Britain.

Except a thief pick-pocketed a Scroll of Fire from a mage and used it on King Britain/The developer(who was thanking everyone for participating in beta), killing him.

The developer then banned the thief, and acted very unprofessionally about it. The thief player hid behind the fact that he was in a Role Playing guild and assassinating the King was a part of role playing.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Heh, reminds me of that news story I read about back when Ultima Online was in beta, the developers tried doing something like that with King Britain.

Except a thief pick-pocketed a Scroll of Fire from a mage and used it on King Britain/The developer(who was thanking everyone for participating in beta), killing him.

The developer then banned the thief, and acted very unprofessionally about it. The thief player hid behind the fact that he was in a Role Playing guild and assassinating the King was a part of role playing.

Moral of the story: Don't make devs playing lore characters killable. :P
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue

Yes, I'm hoping that said suffering manifests in a freefall of ATVI's stock. Hopefully that will turn a few heads and get people to realize that things need to change.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I dont know if you came up with that yourself or read it somewhere but i really, really like that line. Kudos! Reminds me of the whole Eddark/Rob Conversation about bravery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/06/2013 07:54 PMPosted by Kyalin

Yes, I'm hoping that said suffering manifests in a freefall of ATVI's stock. Hopefully that will turn a few heads and get people to realize that things need to change.

That's spiteful and petty of you.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
02/06/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Draile

Lord British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_British#Assassination_of_Lord_British
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock

Jedi have a flawed view of the force. they strive to achive balance in the force while ignoreing/rejecting half of it.

the true path of the force is to embrace emotion while not letting it control you. use both the light and dark side to achive an ambivilant grey... or like a purpleish color since light is blue and dark is red.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

I dont know if you came up with that yourself or read it somewhere but i really, really like that line. Kudos! Reminds me of the whole Eddark/Rob Conversation about bravery.

I was just thinking back to a Confucius quote about how "he who knows nothing doubts nothing", and fight or flight response. Basically you could be fearless or simply not understand the danger of something but it wouldn't make you brave.. You could be ignorant to the threat, suicidal, or simply not care. Then I just figured that bravery was begin afraid of something or losing something but not letting the fear affect your decisions and do what needs to be done which then becomes heroism.

Oh and then figure out a way to be kind of a smart@$$ about it =D

Sith rule
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/06/2013 09:13 PMPosted by Juibloc

Jedi have a flawed view of the force. they strive to achive balance in the force while ignoreing/rejecting half of it.

the true path of the force is to embrace emotion while not letting it control you. use both the light and dark side to achive an ambivilant grey... or like a purpleish color since light is blue and dark is red.

Not necessarily true. Dark Side puts the Force out of balance. Both sides have their *flaws* but don't try and say the Sith are pure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]