Best dps 5.2

(Locked)

100 Undead Warlock
And if every person was perfect or at least on the same par as everybody else, who would have the highest DPS?

Please answer the question directly.

No one can play perfectly, that's a fact. If everyone played perfectly, then there would be no challenge, no sense of completion or accomplishment. I honestly believe that everyone can compete with one another, and even if they're not within 5% of the top, they're still contributing and playing their best. That's all that matters.
Now stop nit-picking. The question is irrelevant unless you're in the top guilds on the cutting edge of progression.
100 Night Elf Hunter
And if every person was perfect or at least on the same par as everybody else, who would have the highest DPS?

No one can play perfectly, that's a fact. If everyone played perfectly, then there would be no challenge, no sense of completion or accomplishment. I honestly believe that everyone can compete with one another, and even if they're not within 5% of the top, they're still contributing and playing their best. That's all that matters.
Now stop nit-picking. The question is irrelevant unless you're in the top guilds on the cutting edge of progression.

From a development issue however it is really not nitpicking.

If people feel pressure to move to a spec that has higher potential DPS so based on that persons skill they can hit bigger numbers they will likely move that way naturally if a guild even in normals hits a wall since most people want to do as good as possible.

So if they can move from 80k DPS to 84-88k with just a spec change people will do it.

Since it is easier to change a spec or even a class than improve on your skill in playing.
Edited by Ariktu on 2/6/2013 6:20 PM PST
90 Undead Warlock
02/06/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Dinan
The ones that are played by players who know their class, the raid mechanics, and can adapt to situations on the fly.

Like it always is, and it always has been. I've been topping DPS charts on my Hunter through doing exactly that, despite her not-too-fantastic gear.
100 Undead Warlock
From a development issue however it is really not nitpicking.

If people feel pressure to move to a spec that has higher potential DPS so based on that persons skill they can hit bigger numbers they will likely move that way naturally if a guild even in normals hits a wall since most people want to do as good as possible.

So if they can move from 80k DPS to 84-88k with just a spec change people will do it.

Since it is easier to change a spec or even a class than improve on your skill in playing.

Hrm, reasonable point. But why would you say that improving skill is harder than simply switching spec or class? If someone is willing to pick up another character/class, wouldn't the natural next step be to try and improve while also doing that? I'm not saying people won't change for the sake of a few thousand dps, but wouldn't they also try and be better at the same time?
Edited by Dinan on 2/6/2013 6:25 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/06/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Elpaladini

I like this answer because it's true.

Until you have guilds that are filled with people who are all on the ball.
Then you see real discrepancies.

Elpaladini, you have a cute name.
90 Pandaren Hunter
02/06/2013 12:23 PMPosted by Paidcriminal
What do u guys think will be the top 3 pve dps on 5.2 ? Rogues and Spriests get my vote
Shadow Priests? You can't be serious.
90 Gnome Mage
02/06/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Fawnix
Is there anyone out there that plays a class they enjoy and not whichever becomes "best" for a patch?

Most Mages agree that Fire Mage is not the best choice for max DPS, but I play it anyway because it's what I like.

I felt the same way about Balance Druids, back in the day.
100 Undead Warlock
I didn't comment on anything in your post, I simply asked a question with parameters.

I do not care for your opinion on raids or teamwork or how we're all in this together. I want a simple answer to a simple question. I don't care if the terms are real. Call it an equation if you will. Number crunching. Call it min/maxing, a valid style of play that you have no right to call invalid.

I am not nit picking, I'm looking for a simple answer to a simple question. I don't care for opinions, only numbers. What you perceive the question to mean is entirely on you and your biases.

Then you're looking in the wrong place. I gave a simple answer with my first post. The classes played to their fullest by players who are knowledgeable will be the best. Simple as that. Wait until the numbers are out and you'll see. Could be anyone.
Cheers.
90 Orc Rogue
I don't see affliction losing their current status.
90 Gnome Mage

As to the OP...I don't believe I've checked recent sources but I can guarantee it's going to be a toss up between mages and warlocks.

I agree, though I'm leaning towards Mages.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Paragons are the best dps. Those spears crit for big domage.
55 Night Elf Death Knight
Shamans

<.<

>.>

Lol'd
Either way, I'll be continuing on my beast mastery hunter because I like this spec. Also, this is my only character at level 90 right now.
90 Human Monk
Windwalker monks? nah why would blizzard make the newest class desirable?
Community Manager
Not trying to quote out of context, but a 10% difference will never sit well with the bulk of the community. I'd even go so far as to say a 5% difference is probably too much. Yeah it's come a long way, but it simply doesn't work in the community's perspective on damage output.

I know, and I get it, but I also think that's kind of unfortunate. Due to vagaries in individual player capabilities, differences in class ability mechanics, latency, encounter design, the moon phase, etc., getting dps numbers within a couple % points of each other is extremely difficult. In some cases, it's not even desirable. What I mean by that is, it's cool that some classes perform better in specific encounters when their unique traits become valuable. As I said earlier, being top dps is fun, if it's you. It can be fun OR frustrating to shoot for that target if it isn't you. Regardless, the point of good dps is defeating encounters, which is much more a product of the raid's efforts as a whole, and their collective skill and knowledge.

Would we like dps (and tanking, and healing) output to be even more balanced, just on principle? It would be awesome. Is there a point of diminishing returns where constantly tweaking those things doesn't significantly impact the success or failure of players and raid groups in general? I think that's also the case. I'm not saying we can't do better, but we do have to prioritize our time to yield the best overall experience we can provide. We've made progress over time, and we'll continue to try to do so. In the meantime, I hope that most players feel like they can choose the class they want to play, and not feel like that choice is holding them back from being a productive member of their group.

This notion that a thin layer of elite players is leading the masses down the wrong path is cute. It's way more likely that your lab results, for whatever reason, don't translate perfectly in a live environment.

Oh, we know for a fact that lab results don't always translate into a live environment. I didn't use the word 'wrong' because it would be... well, wrong. Our theory crafting community is smart, and their analysis is sound. The specs and classes they advocate have been proven to be strong and effective, and are the top performers in many cases.

What I'm suggesting is that often other specs can still be viable, competitive, and better than they're presented to be by parses, but that's not always reflected because they didn't make the initial theory crafting cut.
90 Pandaren Shaman
What I'm suggesting is that often other specs can still be viable, competitive, and better than they're presented to be by parses, but that's not always reflected because they didn't make the initial theory crafting cut.

I'd argue that this only really applies to classes that have multiple specs that fill the same role (e.g. all pure classes + arms/fury warriors + frost/unholy DKs). Counterexample:

Based on all sim/parse data we have available, enhancement outperforms elemental by a fair margin on the great majority of T14 encounters. There are some situations where elemental shines (e.g. P2 heroic sha of fear), but they seem to be few and far between. Despite this, elemental remains the more popular spec.
90 Troll Druid

It's also an Effort-to-Reward issue.

Look at Dream of Cenarius for Boomkins:
Top DPS output ~ If you're a robot.
Better off-healing capabilities ~ If you're a healbot-robot.
Strongest burst capabilities ~ If you're the next prophet to the RNG gods.

Also, can you please tell us how to do DOC properly (as designed)? It's really, really stupid the amount of spellcasting theories floating around. Or just change it to something easier than "I need to be a robot" difficulty. :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]