Best and Worst Healing Classes

100 Troll Druid
So I'm trying to figure out what healing class I should be mainly focusing on since I enjoy healing but don't particularly care about the class. My understanding is the best and worst healers in the game vary greatly based on what type of content you're talking about. From my understanding the list of Best - Worst healers is as follows:

Best - Worst PvP Healers:
Paladins
Shamans
Druids
Monks
Holy Priests
Disc Priests

Best - Worst PvE Healers
Disc Priests
Monks
Paladins
Shamans
Druids
Holy Priests

Can anybody confirm/deny this?
Edited by Empowerments on 1/31/2013 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Your pve list is way wrong. Pve also depends on whether you are talking about 5, 10, or 25 man content. You also didn't mention whether you want to account for non-healing utility abilities, etc...

I don't really pvp much but I can't imagine priests are actually worse than monks, maybe just equally terrible compared to the others.
Reply Quote
Best - Worst PvE Healers
Disc Priests
Monks
Paladins
Shamans
Druids
Holy Priests

Disc
Pally
Shaman/Monk
Druid

Seems slightly more accurate. Not really sure about Holy since Disc is so much stronger.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Holy is right about equal with shaman and monk. They just aren't well represented.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, nobody ever really knows how good Holy is in PvE because nobody plays it seriously unless Disc is bad, and then either Holy is also bad (yay shared spells) or it's mildly OP thanks to some exploitable mechanic that gets discovered by Disc refugees and then nerfed within 2 weeks even though Disc can be OP for months at a time.

Anyway, Holy actually belongs right in the middle of the PvE list somewhere, hanging out with the shamans and monks. All three are close enough in value that the numbers don't really matter all that much...hell, even paladins aren't far off the mark, and it's mainly the set bonuses getting them there.

As for PvP, the same usually holds (nobody plays Holy unless Disc is bad) but it turns out Disc is actually bad right now, so people are trying to play Holy, and sure enough, it's bad too. Can't imagine why. Maybe it's the fact that it still has ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS IT HAD TWO EXPANSIONS AGO IN WRATH OMG. /bitterKaels
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Yeah, I don't think Holy is nearly as awful in PvE as people think it is. Even with the limited sample size of heroic parses (the majority of which are probably from weaker players because most of the most skilled/progression oriented priests are playing Disc), Holy is very competitive relative to the other healers.

From aggregate output

25 Heroic:
1. Disc Priest
2. Holy Priest
3. Holy Paladin
4. Mistweaver Monk
5. Resto Shaman
6. Resto Druid

10 Heroic:
1. Disc Priest
2. Holy Paladin
3. Holy Priest
4. Mistweaver Monk
5. Resto Druid
6. Resto Shaman

For 5.2, Disc priests are being heavily nerfed and having their spell selection priority heavily changed. It's going to be hard to see how nerfed they are before we see them in action, but I suspect it will be middle to bottom of the pack. Resto Druids are getting a 10% buff, and the other healing specs are nearly unchanged.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I think you also need to consider both healing output and raid utility.

For instance, a MW Monk should by all rights be able to "beat" a Resto Shaman on the meters on most fights. If you consider that the Resto Shaman is bringing:

- 10% extra health buff (not 100% reliable for every single person in the raid, but still extremely strong)
- Mana Tide
- Several powerful burst healing cooldowns
- Spirit Link
- Stormlash and Hero (the latter is only relevant for 10's without a DPS to cast it, but the former is always relevant)
- Various utility totems that may be useful at times, such as Windwalk or Tremor

Whereas the MW brings:

- Revival. Very nice for raid-wide AoE's that all strike at once, but pales in comparison to most other "raid saves".
- Life Cocoon, somewhat useful tank cooldown. Absorbs 200k or so, good if the tank is about to keel over but not powerful enough to be a "tank cooldown" in the traditional Pain Suppression/Hand of Sac sense.
- Zen Meditation is nifty on a couple heroic modes. Likewise, there are sometimes advantages to being able to stick a healer in melee range without needing to worry about stuff like Wind Bombs and Wind Steps and what have you.
- ???

It's not really so linear now is it :-P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/31/2013 10:58 PMPosted by Keirisonis
Holy is right about equal with shaman and monk.

Holy has the second highest throughput behind disc. Shaman have the second worst throughput.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 04:33 AMPosted by Sadiemay
Holy is right about equal with shaman and monk.

Holy has the second highest throughput behind disc. Shaman have the second worst throughput.

You can't just consider throughput though. Think of utility, synergy with other healers, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/01/2013 04:47 AMPosted by Keirisonis
You can't just consider throughput though. Think of utility, synergy with other healers, etc.

I understand that. That is why i specifically said throughput. GS is a little lack luster outside of H Tsulong as there are not tank one shot mechanics this tier.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

25 Heroic:
1. Disc Priest
2. Holy Priest
3. Holy Paladin
4. Mistweaver Monk
5. Resto Shaman
6. Resto Druid

10 Heroic:
1. Disc Priest
2. Holy Paladin
3. Holy Priest
4. Mistweaver Monk
5. Resto Druid
6. Resto Shaman

This. Absolutely spot on. After 5.2 disc may drop to 2nd place, but Druids will shoot up and shamans will completely own the bottom spot, especially in 10 mans. It's disappointing shamans have to be so gimped in PVE because they can't balance PVP without impacting PVE.
Reply Quote
Monk should be near the bottom of any PVE list. Hmmm only rated above Druid and Shaman? Ok I agree with the Tiberra and Stormfist.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/01/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Stormfist
It's disappointing shamans have to be so gimped in PVE because they can't balance PVP without impacting PVE.

It's been that way for two expacs. Why would you expect anything else at this point?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/01/2013 09:16 AMPosted by Sadiemay
It's disappointing shamans have to be so gimped in PVE because they can't balance PVP without impacting PVE.

It's been that way for two expacs. Why would you expect anything else at this point?

IMO current raids don't catter much to shamans since stacking isn't very encouraged on a lot of fights. I'm not sure how hard the top guilds even encourage thier raid to stack when possible. Just seems that keeping people in healing rain and chain heal range of eachother is a hassle. Other healers like disc priests are definately keeping shamans numbers down currently but thieres more to it then that imo.

I'm guessing 5.2 is going to be a stack friendly happy, fun zone but I haven't looked at any of the PTR fights yet. Blizzard will probably pull another "oh shamans are doing badly in firelands due to spreading? Well here is stackfest DS. Look at those shaman number soar!" Granted shaman have some stuff to help deal with spreading better than in firelands but it's still pretty bad on them imo.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I just don't understand why Shaman throughput is so balanced around cooldowns.

Nerf Healing Tide by a fair margin to bring it in line with other healer cooldowns, nerf Ascendance a little to make up for my next suggestion, and buff... pretty much everything else in their arsenal. Congratulations! You have not fixed Resto Shamans per se, but you have made the design significantly less stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I would love to see chain heal buffed by either/both reducing mana or making the range from the glyph baseline and change the glyph to hit more targets for less.

Healing stream cool down reduction seems reasonable too.

Reverting the nerf to earthliving proc rate seems reasonable too, even though its often over healing.

There are a lot of things they could do for shamans that wouldn't be OP, especially the chain heal buff. That would have very little impact to pvp.
Reply Quote
I may be a bit biased but shaman aren't as bad as you all would assume. I promise my over healing is nearly nonexistent to all the other classes, even with healing rain.

It's true that stacking is a subject for us but I still do my part with having a monk and druid in my comp for the past few weeks. When our mastery kicks in, it shows. Most noticeably with Tsulong and healing him on day phase for example.

I would agree with Kaels and say we're in the middle with the others.

P.S. I would say we're above druids and holy priests only due to our utility, other wise we're about even.
Edited by Arginok on 2/1/2013 10:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/01/2013 04:16 AMPosted by Tailias
It's not really so linear now is it :-P

This, so much. Shamans with their mastery + cool downs are extremely clutch healers. Meaning when it hits the fan they have a great tool kit for pulling our bacon out of the fire. I will take that over straight throughput all day long.

Not saying that overall hps doesn't matter or that adjustments couldn't be made. But I would hate for that to come at the expense of what shamans can pull off when it matters most.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]