Wow = F2P ?

(Locked)

90 Goblin Shaman
I've been hearing lately that blizzard is considering making wow free to play because some other F2P game has killed them this year as far as player base . I think this would be fantastic. There would be so many happy customers and lots of new players coming. You'd make your money off all the expansions and pets/mounts they buy. Blizzard should seriously consider it. I was thinking of quitting but if it becomes free i sure wont. Hopefully a blue post shows up here and clarifies if this is true or not!
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'd quit if they did that.
90 Blood Elf Monk
If you believe this, then I've got this bridge out in Brooklyn I have for sale. I think you might be interested in it.
I would quit if they did.

But I doubt they are and rumors are just that, rumors.
90 Human Paladin
02/01/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Velindson
I've been hearing lately that blizzard is considering making wow free to play because some other F2P game has killed them this year as far as player base . I think this would be fantastic. There would be so many happy customers and lots of new players coming. You'd make your money off all the expansions and pets/mounts they buy. Blizzard should seriously consider it. I was thinking of quitting but if it becomes free i sure wont. Hopefully a blue post shows up here and clarifies if this is true or not!

League of Legends and World of Warcraft cater to different people

Blizzard isnt going F2P because LoL has a higher account number. They're different games.

WoW is still sustainable using the sub model
90 Night Elf Druid
Other games have gone F2P because they couldn't work with a monthly fee, I assure you EA is not happy with F2P TOR. We'll likely see server mergers before we see WoW go F2P.
90 Undead Warlock
02/01/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Ziryus
Other games have gone F2P because they couldn't work with a monthly fee, I assure you EA is not happy with F2P TOR. We'll likely see server mergers before we see WoW go F2P.

League of Legends is entirely free, and I think this is one of the games they're talking about. The reason it has so many players is because it's free, and it isn't an MMO, thus it doesn't require the same time commitment an MMO does.

Free games always have more players. That doesn't mean they're playing all the time, or at all.
I don't mind paying to play a good game, but you can't pay me to play a bad one. Going free or not has little to no impact to me specially but I would imagine you'll get an influx of new players. Which will typically lead to trolls, grief playing and overwhelmed customer support.

Most of the time, it is not a good idea.
90 Undead Death Knight
WoW is not really made for a F2P model MMO.

F2P works if done right. But WoW doesn't really need to go F2P, not at this point. Maybe when the game gets a lot older, it probably will...but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

If a game was made for F2P, like Planetside 2 for example, it can work. But a game made for subs, like TOR for example, it doesn't end well.
90 Troll Warlock
"Hey, we run the most successful P2P game in the world."

"Yeah, but we should TOTALLY go F2P".

02/01/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Jakkhel
League of Legends is entirely free, and I think this is one of the games they're talking about. The reason it has so many players is because it's free, and it isn't an MMO, thus it doesn't require the same time commitment an MMO does.

LoL is F2P, but they capitalize on the PvP players dislike of soul crushing grinds and make it FAR easier to spend 5 bucks on that shiny new champ.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Technically WoW already has a F2P version, but yeah... unless Blizzard makes a MAJOR screw-up, I doubt they are ever going to fully be F2P.
Edited by Melithiria on 2/1/2013 4:05 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Warlock
02/01/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Keibrina
If you believe this, then I've got this bridge out in Brooklyn I have for sale. I think you might be interested in it.

You no take my bridge!
90 Worgen Warlock
How many more people would join if it was f2p?
90 Draenei Shaman
02/01/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Keibrina
90 Troll Druid
game would lose subs if it went f2p

not an option at this point
90 Pandaren Warrior
F2P = A lot of Cancelled subscriptions.

/HighPaw
F2P=Going broke within a year off that game.
Do you know how much subs they would drop?
90 Draenei Shaman
02/01/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Velindson
I've been hearing lately that blizzard is considering making wow free to play because some other F2P game has killed them this year as far as player base
It's already F2P up to level 20. Beyond that the current price model is too much of a cash cow for them. Consider that after you've purchased the game, buying an additional 3 month subscription is the equivalent of buying yet another copy of an F2P game. A year later they've made five times the revenue off you that the F2P game did. So what if the F2P game "killed them" for a quarter? Even if I believed that (and I don't) WoW's pricing model wins out over the long run.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]