Tank comparisons been gone a while.

81 Human Paladin
I have been gone pretty much since WoTLK (spent a couple separate months giving cata a shot) I am a tank, i always tank and back during wrath i tanked on all tank classes. What i am looking for is changes to tanking before i decide which one i level first.

Now back when i tanked with my DK it seemed like every patch they reinvented the wheel with DKs and you had to relearn so much it really became a hassle. Have they at least figured DKs out yet? I do miss the easy days of unholy tanking then switching to blood for bosses.

If i had to pick my favorite from back then it was easily my Pally, just effortless threat generation both single target and AOE and it always felt like he took less damage than my warrior.

Bear tanking was a mixed bag from what i remembered my druid just never performed as well as the other 3.

Warrior tanking was a lot of fun but he always felt about a smidge below pallies in damage taking and threat.

I really dont want to keep up with all 4 tanks like i did back then and just want to focus on one. What big changes have occurred between then and now? I assume like always all of them are plenty viable but what are the main differences these days in damage, avoidance and threat?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
do you really want us to explain how the current 5 class are doing compared to what they were before?

they changed a lot from the last time you played, to the point they are almost different classes.

just log and test them ..
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Monks are like, ugh.
Paladins are like, eww.
Warriors are like, meh.
Druids are like, huh.
DK's are like, ehh.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Btw, the tank forums seem to be a terrible place to get a straight answer on anything. Probably because all of ^^^ guys are like the other 90% of wows current tank divas.

Here's what I gather so far:

-Warr's seem to have the best mitigation right now, and from I hear from seasoned tanks and healers alike, are the preferred MT.
-Druids are okay, but still suffer from the same old spikiness that they always have and dependency on dodge, which has the worst of all dr.
-Monks apparently do crazy tps, not sure about mitigation.
-I think DKs are still solid, seem to have an easy learning curve, but suffer as always from their dependency on parry/dodge in lieu of block.
-I hear mixed reviews on paladins. I've always liked playing a pally, I find them to be the 'stress free' tanking class.

I think like anything, play whats fun for you...but what's fun might be influenced by some of the things ive listed. I dont have fun on my warr because I cant seem to put up the tps that other classes can. But then again, I dont have fun on my druid because bear tanks are boring now. Ill probably go DK, but Monk sounds like a fun alternative.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Btw, the tank forums seem to be a terrible place to get a straight answer on anything. Probably because all of ^^^ guys are like the other 90% of wows current tank divas.

Or, there are 100 posts like this already and a simple search prior to making a new post would go a long way to answering the question.

Also, each class should have a sticky in their forum telling how they are played and what each of them can do. Instead of asking here for a mediocre synopsis, why not read about each class yourself? You will go a long way to actually making the right decision for yourself.

I had no clue what made my old warrior tick after MoP dropped, and when I picked him up today to play on the alliance side for a bit, I read up on him on the warrior forums. It is all explained right there, in far greater detail than :

Warriors block
Paladins shield
monks do kung-fu
druids take it in the face
dks are lollerfaceroll

I have explained far more than I should, and simply "Use the Search Function" should suffice. On other games' forums, you will get a lot worse than what you get here. You will get infarctions and bans :P
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

No, it's because we get so tired of answering the same bloody questions every single day, when the answers are clearly laid out - both in past threads and the stickies!

"HEY GUIZE I KNOW YOU HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR TIME BUT I'M TOTALLY GOING TO IGNORE ALL THE HANDY REFERENCE MATERIAL YOU'VE PUT TOGETHER AND DEMAND A PERSONALIZED ANSWER TO MY MIND-BOGGLINGLY SIMPLE QUESTION."

02/04/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Gregorus
-Warr's seem to have the best mitigation right now, and from I hear from seasoned tanks and healers alike, are the preferred MT.

No.

-Druids are okay, but still suffer from the same old spikiness that they always have and dependency on dodge, which has the worst of all dr.

No.

-Monks apparently do crazy tps, not sure about mitigation.

Yes.

-I think DKs are still solid, seem to have an easy learning curve, but suffer as always from their dependency on parry/dodge in lieu of block.

Definitely no.

-I hear mixed reviews on paladins. I've always liked playing a pally, I find them to be the 'stress free' tanking class.

No.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

you come here with an honest tank issue, difficulties in the rotation, in surviving .. in tanking a fight, in tanking an instance .. we WILL help you.

Hell dude, I took a lot of time to write a freaking guide that is help a lot of monks, answear every question they have ... and a lot of regular posters here are extremelly helpfull when people come here with ingame issues and need help.

But coming here asking the same goddam question that can be asnwered by using the search button .. "who is the best tank? .. how is each tank now? .. "

just an example:

"best tank class" - not even half a dozen posts down from this one.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811651403

"Which tank have you had the most fun playing?" - still on the 1st page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7708262632

"simplest tanking class as of 5.1?" - still on the 1st page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7273268841

"Which Tanking Class?" - top of the 2nd page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7801130164

"Help me understand tanks better - mid 2nd page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7789209162

5 threads still on the 2 initial pages from this forum. I didn't even used the search engine .. I simply scrolled down the page.

You know what all those threads have in common? All of them are made by lazy players who want US to pick a tank for THEM.

When replying to those players, then yes, we are divas.
Edited by Leeflow on 2/4/2013 11:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/04/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Leeflow

you come here with an honest tank issue, difficulties in the rotation, in surviving .. in tanking a fight, in tanking an instance .. we WILL help you.

Hell dude, I took a lot of time to write a freaking guide that is help a lot of monks, answear every question they have ... and a lot of regular posters here are extremelly helpfull when people come here with ingame issues and need help.

But coming here asking the same goddam question that can be asnwered by using the search button .. "who is the best tank? .. how is each tank now? .. "

just an example:

"best tank class" - not even half a dozen posts down from this one.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7811651403

"Which tank have you had the most fun playing?" - still on the 1st page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7708262632

"simplest tanking class as of 5.1?" - still on the 1st page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7273268841

"Which Tanking Class?" - top of the 2nd page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7801130164

"Help me understand tanks better - mid 2nd page
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7789209162

5 threads still on the 2 initial pages from this forum. I didn't even used the search engine .. I simply scrolled down the page.

You know what all those threads have in common? All of them are made by lazy players who want US to pick a tank for THEM.

When replying to those players, then yes, we are divas.

Well said girlfriend, Snaps claws!

I liked your monk tanking guide Leeflow it was very imformitive and helped be me be a better panda, and no longer a paladin of boring.
Reply Quote
81 Human Paladin
Yeah i searched and found nothing but conflicting answers.

I even used specific comments for replies but the ever whiney divas of the WoW boards still threw a fit. Its typicle forum nerd BS, you guys dont own the forums, you dont have to reply, you dont even have to read the thread. Yet they get their panties in a twist and still go ahead.
Reply Quote
81 Human Paladin
[quote]

I have explained far more than I should, and simply "Use the Search Function" should suffice. On other games' forums, you will get a lot worse than what you get here. You will get infarctions and bans :P

Funny thing is that on NO games official forums would this ever happen and on most posts like yours would have been deleted. Apparently i have been gone from WoW too long and forgot about the lovely community.

For the clowns that dont know the search function works like total crap when trying to find relevant answers thanks to the million posts of whining like in this one.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
02/04/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bubblebandit

Hint: The "forum divas" you're busy deriding - you know, the ones that actually do the math and write the guides that you evidently didn't read - are generally the ones that know what's going on, and the people posting "conflicting information" are generally random idiots spouting their preconceptions.

02/04/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bubblebandit
I even used specific comments for replies but the ever whiney divas of the WoW boards still threw a fit. Its typicle forum nerd BS, you guys dont own the forums, you dont have to reply, you dont even have to read the thread. Yet they get their panties in a twist and still go ahead.

Because you're here, taking up space on the front page with repetitive and ignorant demands that we help you when the answer to your question is listed on multiple places on the front freaking page.

02/04/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Bubblebandit
Funny thing is that on NO games official forums would this ever happen and on most posts like yours would have been deleted. Apparently i have been gone from WoW too long and forgot about the lovely community.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Go check the wayback machine, head for the archive of the old WoW boards, and read the forum from TBC. Hint: It's exactly the same. Take off your rose-colored nostalgia goggles, friend, it hasn't changed much.

Second, at worst we're being brusque, because this is - quite frankly - a waste of our time to deal with, and people with legitimate questions are having their issues bumped off because you can't be bothered to read down six lines.

For the clowns that dont know the search function works like total crap when trying to find relevant answers thanks to the million posts of whining like in this one.

Perhaps you're searching badly? "I JUST CAME BACK WHAT TANKS DO WHAT" isn't exactly an uncommon question here.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Perhaps you're searching badly? "I JUST CAME BACK WHAT TANKS DO WHAT" isn't exactly an uncommon question here.

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-how-my-mom-uses-computer.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

oh but it's too much fun to pass =D

"I assume like always all of them are plenty viable but what are the main differences these days in damage, avoidance and threat?"

the information is out there. Guides, google, wowhead, wowpedia .. you name it.

What you really really want is that us, clowns/forum nerds, spoon feed it to you. Instead of actually searching for that information on the many sources available out there .. you want 5 paragraphs describing each tank, it's pros and cons, how they work and blablablabla ...

Even your description of each tank back then, clearly highlight that you enjoy the "lazy/faceroll" moments each had.

" I do miss the easy days of unholy tanking then switching to blood for bosses."

"If i had to pick my favorite from back then it was easily my Pally, just effortless threat generation both single target and AOE and it always felt like he took less damage than my warrior."

Maybe some anti-hero will come here and actually reply to you.. but most of us, clowns/forum nerds, will simply shrug off your question because we do not support lazy tanks.

we help players that want to get better .. players that just wanna stay lazy and spoon fed, can die in a fire, for all that I care.

my advice remains the same: test them. If you played each like you claim, your have all of them around lvl 80, which is more than enough to know what is going on with each tank class.
Edited by Leeflow on 2/4/2013 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Funny thing is that on NO games official forums would this ever happen and on most posts like yours would have been deleted.

I am sorry if I upset you. But I have played games where the person asking FAQ questions that are obviously answered and not using the search function are the ones that get down rated or banned.

Instead of storming into the store and screaming "WHERES THE MILK", try looking around and finding the sign that says "Dairy" and going there first. Then if you cannot find what you want, ask a question.

And do not claim that the search will not result in what you want, because that is a bold faced lie.

Good luck, and I hope you find a tanking class you enjoy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Instead of storming into the store and screaming "WHERES THE MILK", try looking around and finding the sign that says "Dairy" and going there first. Then if you cannot find what you want, ask a question.

As someone who works in a supermarket, it's depressing how many people actually do just approach the nearest staff member to ask where whatever is instead of opening their eyes.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
81 Human Paladin
[
Second, at worst we're being brusque, because this is - quite frankly - a waste of our time to deal with, and people with legitimate questions are having their issues bumped off because you can't be bothered to read down six lines.

Interesting how its not worth your time yet here you are replying. Sad thing is theres no wealth of information out there to be had with the search its 900 threads with garbage uninformative posts like this one and one thread full of old information.

Protip: In order to be sick of answering the same post you have to actually answer it once not jump in and pretend you did, and pretend you are sick of answering it. That dont make you elitist that makes you a douchebag.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Here's an answer:

Every tank is fine. Play the one you find most fun. We will not tell you which you find the most fun because we are not you.
-----
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Protip: In order to be sick of answering the same post you have to actually answer it once not jump in and pretend you did, and pretend you are sick of answering it.

If you're trying to use logic, in order to be sick of something he only has to have answered some of the previous 20,000 threads (not even all). His response to your thread, or even a thread 1 year from now (when the search would stop picking up stuff from 1 year ago), would be utterly irrelevant to "in order to be sick of answering the same post....".

Maybe you should work on becoming smarter so that you can use Search properly, and answer questions yourself so that you don't have to Search. Reading patch notes and looking at World of Logs alone would have answered:
"What big changes have occurred between then and now? I assume like always all of them are plenty viable but what are the main differences these days in damage, avoidance and threat?"
"What i am looking for is changes to tanking before i decide which one i level first."
Edited by Slashlove on 2/4/2013 4:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Oh and, for how tanks have changed since WotLK, as is my understanding.

Warriors: Haven't changed that much. Still same basic playstyle, but with far less heroic strike spam (Unless you're doing trivial content) and more shield block and barrier spam.

Paladins: Less 96969ey, more randomness in the rotation and more roguey with Holy Combo Points.

Druids: No more maul spam, but a much more engaging playstyle overall.

DKs: Less roller-coastery in terms of changes, has a definite direction (Take damage, heal it back up and then gain a nice damage shield based on how much you healed or damage you took or something like that).

Monks: Were added to the game.
-----
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Here's an answer:

Every tank is fine. Play the one you find most fun. We will not tell you which you find the most fun because we are not you.

Ironicly OP, this is also the answer every single "what the best tank thread derp?" thread is.

It's not the class, it's the player.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]