If it's done right...

41 Night Elf Hunter
Why, then, would a dragon be doing much with mortals? It is a hard thing to justify other than either "you taste good with ketchup" or "I see you as pawns/study subjects and want to play".

Why would this be a problem? In particular the latter part.

I mean, actually I think I'd prefer that? We have lots of people talking about how they play the role of a common guard or whatever, who is taking their orders from the {chain of command} -> King, but here I could be getting my orders directly from someone more powerful and wiser than some silly noble.

Why is one acceptable but the other not?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
More to do with the fact few people ask those other roleplayers playing a guard to go along with it, and just expect it by describing themselves as dragons. I see it happen alot, you're a character, doing your thing, and someone comes along and assumes control over you and your rp because they declare a higher rank. It works in guilds, because there's structure, and it works in the world if it's discussed and agreed upon. It's tricky though, because one could make the same counter argument against guards, though I feel guards are typically expected when you enter a city.

All in all, whether you're a guard or a dragon, the issue there stems from many individuals power tripping and thus angering the other rpers. I know I won't put up with it. dragon or no. I didn't ask to become the slave of a dragon, and not speaking to me prior is rude.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Okay, here we go. A few examples of what a pompous panda considers to be "doing it right":

1. People have already touched on this in the idea that playing a powerful and unique character should involve some sort of flaw, but I think you can take it further and portray a potentially powerful character as weak. Not only does this remove one of the objections to unusual characters, but it allows you to tap into the frequent player-based sympathy for underdogs, and gives you the chance to approach a concept from a different angle than normal.

Example: The only DK I have ever played was not a proper DK. Emery Kentworth was an accident, a corpse in ICC that was put through a crude form of the DK creation process during the moment between the Lich King's death and Bolvar's assumption of the role, when the necromantic energies of the Scourge were uncontrolled. The result was a broken DK with an extremely limited command of his abilities and a complete disconnect from both mortal and DK society. He was a confused, basically sad individual who spent most of his time trying to figure out why he was what he was because to believe that he was an accident would be a sort of last straw, and, I feel, he was pretty well-received as a character not just in spite of his circumstances, but because of them.

2. As much as some of these concepts are chosen because they are unusual, there are often patterns to how they are played. The stereotype of the dragon RPer is that of the lone wyrm interacting with mortal society, secretly or not, and high elves, meanwhile, are often played as secretly re-integrating into blood elven society through the use of illusionary magics (No idea how they get played Alliance-side, sadly). Take that pattern and break it in some way, allowing players to see it from another angle, and that's doing it right.

Example: Earlier, somebody mentioned that somebody was advertising for an entire guild of dragons. Logistics of having that in a city aside, I think that the concept is a great one and have pushed for it when it comes up in dragon RP threads. The Aspects may have lost their powers, but this puts the general population of the dragonflights in a time of tremendous uncertainty, and it's not as if the need to regulate the timeways, magic usage, or the Emerald Dream has suddenly gone away. This is an excellent time for other dragon RPers to seek each other out and have awesome dragon-only adventures, with sunglasses and garish day-glo 90's-era outfits and such, and then be able to interact with mortal society using those adventures to foreground their interactions.

As for high elves - well, I made a storyline about shoving high elves back into society, so let's use that as a model. I would consider "doing it right" there to be a character that questions the issue of reintegration. The two groups have had ten years to develop separate cultures, and the blood elves have done things the high elves can easily consider abhorrent. Why would they necessarily want to interact with them? I would (and did) make them very recent, unwilling converts to the blood elves, and gave them no ability to take the "mask" off - no illusions, no tricks, only fel taint and the so-far irrevocable effect of that. All of this, I felt, was "doing it right" because characters that interacted with them were placed into a position of conflict - technically, these elves were traitors, but were here through no fault of their own. What to do with them? Posing a question like that is, I feel, one of the most important parts of making an unusual concept effective.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/04/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Lyies
In my experience "Done right" just means "Done by someone I like".

Pretty much from what I've been seeing a lot...
Reply Quote
71 Undead Warrior
02/04/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Tavook
What say you? Are you the kind of person to shun a player because of their chosen race? Or do you encourage the possibility of something great?

All roleplayers are suspicious until proven quality.

I support and agree with this statement.

I want to add that ICA=ICC.

If you play something that is not aligned with the Horde or Alliance, as an example, and even if you do it flawlessly-BE PREPARED FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.

People will shun you. They will try to kill you, it's war time. They will look down upon you. And you will be an outcast-at least IC. OOC opinions are a matter of the player, which is not something I concern myself with.
Edited by Galowyn on 2/4/2013 12:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
If you play something that is not aligned with the Horde or Alliance, as an example, and even if you do it flawlessly-BE PREPARED FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.

People will shun you. They will try to kill you, it's war time. They will look down upon you. And you will be an outcast-at least IC.

((Not a problem for this Argent. Prella tends to be very resourceful))
Reply Quote
71 Undead Warrior

People will shun you. They will try to kill you, it's war time. They will look down upon you. And you will be an outcast-at least IC.

((Not a problem for this Argent. Prella tends to be very resourceful))

Then you probably fall under the "doing it right" category. :P
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
If my interest in the character is greater than the effort needed to suspend my disbelief, then I would say you're doing it right.
Reply Quote
02/04/2013 01:21 PMPosted by Galowyn
Then you probably fall under the "doing it right" category. :P

There's probably also that whole "Argents were key to Arthas' demise" thing going, too. Not too many people actively despise the Argent Crusade simply due to that one fact.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
My character is a dragon. She will die before revealing her true nature to strangers. Too many of her friends and family would be harmed if it became common knowledge.

RP with me or not. I love my character and her story. I wouldn't change a thing.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
02/04/2013 10:10 AMPosted by Topsail
The Trade Baron

That's one of the main ones that I find hard. I just don't know if it can be RPed. I'm not trying to subtely say "DON'T RP IT" I'm trying to say "I honestly don't have the inkling of an idea if RPing a Trade Baron is being over-powered or not." Certainly it's been done. Salsbury, that one goblin before, but is that lore-breaking?
Reply Quote
31 Pandaren Monk
02/04/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Azshanne
Why, then, would a dragon be doing much with mortals? It is a hard thing to justify other than either "you taste good with ketchup" or "I see you as pawns/study subjects and want to play".

Why would this be a problem? In particular the latter part.

I mean, actually I think I'd prefer that? We have lots of people talking about how they play the role of a common guard or whatever, who is taking their orders from the {chain of command} -> King, but here I could be getting my orders directly from someone more powerful and wiser than some silly noble.

Why is one acceptable but the other not?

I suppose it is great if the person (or people) on the other side of this rp don't care if their character survives or not. Because the dragon certainly isn't going to care about the survival of the current subjects of it's attention.

Who said to be "normal" you have to be under any chain of command anywhere? I expect warriors probably have the least in-game options of any, but think of all the factions/organizations that people can belong to.... Some of those put you totally outside any Horde/Alliance chain of command.

Not only that, but my Draenei wouldn't be wanted in anyone's command. He is a great "trauma ward" type healer, but he is a cripple (I don't see everyone coming through the wreck of the Exodar unscathed, do you?), so he is of no (or very limited) use on a battlefield. Basically, he would be looked at as a liability which leaves him free to do his own thing for the most part. Basically, if the Prophet or the Earthen Ring call, he will answer, but otherwise he has no allegiances.

Worgen... would be as likely to be among NE forces as anything else. After all, they ask for your aid after rescuing you from the forsaken. So as a refugee from Gilneas, you could be involved in anything the Night Elves (or prominent affiliated factions) are involved in with little stretch of the imagination.

Dwarves are basically the main manufacturing bunch of the Alliance. The Gnomes may be inventive, but the Dwarves have the numbers and the facilities. There is also the Explorers League to take you in another direction.

I could go through every race, but I don't feel the need. You don't need to be a soldier or under a Noble's (or dragon's) command to be normal. You can be a craftsman, a teacher, explorer/scout, or whatever takes your fancy. While all this war is on and people are calling you a draft dodger, your druid/shaman/herbalist could be out in Zangarmarsh still trying to save the swamp.

If you are at all playing your character as one that can do what can be done in-game at 90, then you have to figure that there are probably (for rp purposes) only 100 or less (?) people per faction that match up. Heroes are supposed to be rare. If that is the case, the crown will be begging your help, not ordering it. Well, unless you are Horde. And even there, you may have a fair amount of leeway in what direction your character can go based on race and abilities.

If you enjoy being an rp pawn to someone else, then by all means go for it. I just suspect that would make you in the minority with that view.
Edited by Tunin on 2/4/2013 5:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've learned that having an open mind and giving things outside my RP comfort zone a chance can pay off in spades.

To me, 'done right' means 'done in a way that I can see it making sense, and if it's something they'd be ostracized for IC, it's properly treated as a secret' etc. I do also count 'well written, with effort made' in there somewhere.
Reply Quote
Done right: Your character doesn't assume he/she will be the center of attention/hold authority over others/is automatically deserving of respect/etc., or, alternately, if he/she does, you, OOCly, expect and/or are comfortable with no one respecting those ideas IC (because who wants to?).

Done wrong: Your character flagrantly breaks lore, has a self-proclaimed title (especially when it's a position of authority within an NPC organization), demands attention and obedience just because of said self-proclaimed title or because "I'ma dragon!" or something similar.

Conflict is where the stories are, and flaws and weaknesses are where the meat of the character lies. Anyone can type "Bestest Ever" as a character title, but few can RP someone so well that people will actually respect that.

The great Craig Finn wrote a line that I find especially apt at describing the various kinds of self-important bad RPers: "You want the scars but you don't want the war." If you want adoration and respect from your fellow RPers, earn it, don't just call yourself something fancy and expect everyone to take you seriously; doing so is tantamount to godmoding.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I think my self-proclaimed title is "Chef."

But I earned it, dang it.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
02/04/2013 03:26 PMPosted by Augustev
The Trade Baron

That's one of the main ones that I find hard. I just don't know if it can be RPed. I'm not trying to subtely say "DON'T RP IT" I'm trying to say "I honestly don't have the inkling of an idea if RPing a Trade Baron is being over-powered or not." Certainly it's been done. Salsbury, that one goblin before, but is that lore-breaking?

If one claimed to be a Trade Baron because one felt like writing it in their MRP, I don't suppose thats a good idea. However, Sals has a guild and does trade with people, making his claim a bit more legit. Its similar to how my rank in my guild is Commander. I couldnt be a Commander if I didnt have an army to command. With my guild, I do. Thus, the existence of the guild requires that being of higher rank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I have to say this is one of the better threads going. As someone new to this RP stuff, I figured I'd just make all my mistakes early. So, among other things I have done, I now play as a dragon.

I'll admit I was hesitant to try it. I read the forums and am aware of the stigma, but, hey, it's called role play, so why not?

She is not all powerful. I mean, cmon, dragons die all the time. Her mate thinks she is beautiful, and she is devoted to him. You could make the case that if they are so ordinary, why be a dragon?

Because it is so much fun to rp. It's easy to incorporate canine, ursine, feline, and avid characteristics. But the habits and characteristics of reptiles? There'a challenge.
Reply Quote
32 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't worry amigos. We of the Taco Bell Cartel are more then happy to sell our Felweed to all the Dragons, Pregnant DK's, Lord Generals of the King's Underwear and Love slaves of Arthas. After all, they are our best customers. Viva el Cartel!

Just look for the Traveling Tundra Mount coming to a city near you, we'll be dealing off the back. Just don't talk to our brother Pablo, he is el loco. Plus he has no jaw, or ears I think. Or eyes for that matter. That's why we made him the driver.

And all you special snowflake mamacitas out there, espcially the rich ones. Enrique has plenty of kisses for you. Ay caramba!

Paz y amor.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/04/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Lyies
In my experience "Done right" just means "Done by someone I like".

This.

Though I tend to accept all kinds of roleplay, regardless of if it is done "right". If you are a night elf who says they were born on Teldrassil, or a Half-Night Elf, I might let you know that outside of strange circumstances, you'd be pretty freaking young.. but other than that I don't really mind what a person RPs as, so much as if they bother me.
Reply Quote
52 Pandaren Monk
Ziichi....I must know this transmog that allows one to look like an Ethereal...they are my all time favorite race, I've read more on them then any other race on this whole blasted lore.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]