Best level 90 Talent for Sha of Fear

90 Worgen Mage
Currently my guild is working on normal mode Sha of Fear. I switched to arcane for the extra dps boost unfortunately, but what I'm having a problem with now is trying to figure out what level 90 talent is best to use on Sha of Fear. There seems to be too much movement, specially on the platform phase, for Rune of Power, but not enough damage (unless you want to run into things) for Invoker's Ward.

So I come to you my mage forum friends for advice. What are you using on Sha of Fear.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Invoker's Ward of Power.
Edited by Broseph on 2/5/2013 12:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Rune of Power for arcane.

However, as one of the best cleaving classes in the game, fire is the superior spec to use in phase 2 for add control. (The only phase that matters)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Rune of Power for arcane.

However, as one of the best cleaving classes in the game, fire is the superior spec to use in phase 2 for add control. (The only phase that matters)

I assume you talking about heroic? Because the OP said "normal mode" sha of fear. There is no cleaving at all on normal mode.
Edited by Taymage on 2/6/2013 7:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
For normal mode Sha of Fear I prefer Incanter's Ward.

I find that with rune of power, I have to keep moving to avoid the adds projectiles or to get to the adds at the side. This causes me to either not stand in the rune or have to recast it too often.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
If you aren't used to using Incanter's ward, and if you slip up a little with the on-use function, you will be low on mana very, very quickly and will be doing crap damage. I'd recommend keeping RoP if you are used to it. I didn't have many problems with repositioning on that fight.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Why does everyone hate invocation :\
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/05/2013 01:46 AMPosted by Napwneon

Yeah I was going to go Arcane for this fight since the Heroic strat ignores adds, but dat cleave. I'm also one of the orb tossers and Fire requires a lot less concentration (since I'm focused on adds not eating me)
Edited by Digerati on 2/6/2013 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/06/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Xiun

Not viable for Arcane right now. With its 100% bonus mana regen, RoP is much stronger in its current form, which is why that regens being nerfed in 5.2. Many Mages have expressed their concerns that Mana regen shouldn't be tied into the talents.
Edited by Digerati on 2/6/2013 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/06/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Digerati

Not viable for Arcane right now. With its 100% bonus mana regen, RoP is much stronger in its current form, which is why that regens being nerfed in 5.2. Many Mages have expressed their concerns that Mana regen shouldn't be tied into the talents.

Agreed.

Invocation lowers your passive regen, which isn't good for an arcane mage. It also takes too long to cast and if you get interrupted you fail to get the buff and have to redo it.

The downtime spent casting invocation over the course of a raid boss fight is pretty extreme and gives much worse results than the other 2 talents. That may change in 5.2 where invocation is getting a much needed buff. But on live, invocation is simply no good.

The only place I like invocation is for soloing old content for transmogs. This gives a nice heal on a relatively short cooldown with the evocation glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
You people bashing Invocation are doing it without trying it, nor researching it. It's a style that's more popular in Asia, rather than the US. Go check WOL, some of the top 10 parses are from Invocation Arcane mages.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Ah, I guess on the topic of arcane I can see how RoP is better. Currently doing horrible dps as frost in raids but I find I do infinitely better with invocation than with RoP
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/06/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Digerati

Most mages I have seenthink the other way around, and I agree with them. Damage should not be tied to the talents. Let them be mana regen only talents and you can balance that way. It also become less punishing on high movement fights. It would make mana management more dynamic and less 'you get mana with your damage buff' they have going now.

But, I think we all agree that they shouldn't be trying to be mana talent and +damage talents.

And personally I hate invocation because spending 10-13% of my time evocating to maintain a buff is not a fun mechanic. It is better in 5.2, but still is a channel for buff maintenance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/06/2013 04:51 PMPosted by Envii
You people bashing Invocation are doing it without trying it, nor researching it. It's a style that's more popular in Asia, rather than the US. Go check WOL, some of the top 10 parses are from Invocation Arcane mages.

Can you explain how this "style" would work, exactly?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

Most mages I have seenthink the other way around, and I agree with them. Damage should not be tied to the talents. Let them be mana regen only talents and you can balance that way....

There's a big problem with making the final tier talents mana management only with no dps boost:

Mana management is only an issue for arcane spec. If the 90 tier talents gave no damage boost, the entire tier would be completely irrelevant for fire and frost mages.

Blizzard's goal is to have every talent be an interesting choice for every spec... not just 1 spec.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
im fire on that boss and im doing great i just put dots on sha and the ads on sides
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
If your doing normal, The adds on both sides are Priority anyways, so dodging the aoe shouldnt be an issue. I love putting two rune of powers down getting bop'ed and owning platforms. makes the fight easier for my raid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/06/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Xiun

Sucks for arcane since it kills mana regeneration. Low mana on Arcane is low DPS. Invocation is great for Frost as Frost doesn't really have mana issues. Never tried it on fire, I don't know how it works with the cast time and Fire not stacking haste.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/06/2013 05:08 PMPosted by Neeber
Most mages I have seenthink the other way around, and I agree with them. Damage should not be tied to the talents. Let them be mana regen only talents and you can balance that way.

But Frost and Fire don't have any need for mana regen so I don't see the point of changing all the talents just for Arcane.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]