Best level 90 Talent for Sha of Fear

90 Blood Elf Priest
02/06/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Taymage
You people bashing Invocation are doing it without trying it, nor researching it. It's a style that's more popular in Asia, rather than the US. Go check WOL, some of the top 10 parses are from Invocation Arcane mages.

Can you explain how this "style" would work, exactly?

its evocation, haste heavy build with frost armor u can do amazing burst with it. u spam AB/missile till ur abt 20% mana then re-evocate n dont drop stacks.theres no scorch weaving like in RoP. i usually top in rfinder n alt runs with this build. i defs was doin less dps with RoP mastery build.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 06:56 AMPosted by Vviper

Can you explain how this "style" would work, exactly?

its evocation, haste heavy build with frost armor u can do amazing burst with it. u spam AB/missile till ur abt 20% mana then re-evocate n dont drop stacks.theres no scorch weaving like in RoP. i usually top in rfinder n alt runs with this build. i defs was doin less dps with RoP mastery build.

How long is your evocation channel with that build? Also, don't you end up having to evocate all the time that way? Your mana would be down to 20% all the time without any passive bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/07/2013 09:21 AMPosted by Taymage
How long is your evocation channel with that build? Also, don't you end up having to evocate all the time that way? Your mana would be down to 20% all the time without any passive bonus.

With glyph of mana gem and minor glyph of loose mana I reckon it would take some time before the mana actually hit 20%, so I doubt they'd always be at 20%.

That's my guess anyway, I honestly never use a mana gem as Frost I don't know if you have to wait a while after using one before you can use another, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Breaktheice
With glyph of mana gem and minor glyph of loose mana I reckon it would take some time before the mana actually hit 20%, so I doubt they'd always be at 20%.

The reason I'm asking is because you can *very* easily end up low, and by low I mean at 65%, in just a handful of Arcane Blasts (at six stacks) without a missile proc, and that is when you have the +100% regen bonus of the rune. Without the rune, you will be at 20% pretty quickly and fairly frequently. And you are doing absolute crap damage if your mana is that low.

Edit: neither mana gem glyph would change this. It is nice to have ten charges on my gem (I use it myself), but the gem is on a two minute cooldown. The loose mana glyph doesn't give you more mana, it just spreads the mana return out over six seconds.
Edited by Taymage on 2/7/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

mines at 4.8secs on evo and my mage is nto that geared, the constant evocation (roughly about every 30 secs depending on AM procs)makes up with the 25% dmg buff and being able to spam AB/AM freely without scorch weave/ dropping stacks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
02/07/2013 01:02 PMPosted by Taymage

The reason I'm asking is because you can *very* easily end up low, and by low I mean at 65%, in just a handful of Arcane Blasts (at six stacks) without a missile proc, and that is when you have the +100% regen bonus of the rune. Without the rune, you will be at 20% pretty quickly and fairly frequently. And you are doing absolute crap damage if your mana is that low.

Edit: neither mana gem glyph would change this. It is nice to have ten charges on my gem (I use it myself), but the gem is on a two minute cooldown. The loose mana glyph doesn't give you more mana, it just spreads the mana return out over six seconds.

I've been running haste/invo for a few weeks now and I'm seeing better numbers than mastery/rop. For comparison: http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/dragonmaw/aozerra/

All parses before 1/17 were with mastery/rop, all parses after with haste/invo. I got a big weapon upgrade 1/29 so if you want similar gear comparisons, the parses from 1/17-1/29 are haste/invo, and probably 3-4 weeks before 1/17 are with mastery/rop. Most notably, my night in MSV on 1/25 was much better than anything I'd ever seen with rop.

I don't play it like the other poster described; I usually burn to about 60% then evocate for 2 ticks. When the invocation buff is going to expire soon, I'll burn down to about 20% then do a full evocate (generally try to time it to start evo right when the buff ends). I usually only need to do 1 mini-evo between full evos so it's not nearly as bad as you might think. There is a lot more decision-making involved regarding timing evocates around trinket procs, cooldowns, and boss mechanics though, so I can imagine it would be easy to try it out, play sub-optimally, and arrive at the conclusion that the build doesn't work.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks Aozerra, that is the kind of detail I was looking for
Reply Quote
71 Dwarf Priest
Hi i'm a new mage (havent played in about 4 years) and im just wondering what is this haste/mastery build? i know haste decreases cast time/reduces CD and mastery increases (damage?). For example why re: the haste/invo build vs the mastery/RoP build.. what is the difference?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]