New player looking for Advice on Build/Spec

85 Night Elf Priest
I'm new to wow and decided to roll with a night elf priest but cant find any guides or understandable build for a new player. Any help?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412411510
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hello! Welcome to WoW! :)

At really low levels, you really only need to worry about the following:

1) You are only able to wear Cloth armor as a Priest. You can equip Staves, 1-handed Maces, and Daggers. If you are using a 1-handed Mace or Dagger, you can also equip an Off-hand.

2) You want gear that has Intellect and Spirit on it. If the gear just has Intellect, that's okay, too, but it's generally best not to take items with JUST Spirit on them.

3) You won't get a helm until your mid-20s, and you probably won't get shoulders until you're around 15-20.

4) You will get a spec at level 10. I recommend speccing Disc, because you will have excellent DPS potential, as well as fantastic healing potential.

5) If this is your first WoW character ever, I highly recommend picking up a gathering profession and a raid profession. Gathering professions include Herbalism, Skinning, and Mining. Raid professions include Tailoring (fed by cloth you pick up), Enchanting (fed by Disenchanting Green items you find or create through Tailoring), Leatherworking (fed by Skinning), Alchemy (fed by Herbalism), Inscription (fed by Herbalism), Blacksmithing (fed by Mining), Jewelcrafting (fed by Mining). For a first-time player, I usually recommend Herbalism + Alchemy or Inscription, as those are fairly easy to level, and you can sell your glyphs/items and excess herbs on the auctionhouse. Another good combination is Enchanting and Tailoring, but it can get pricey to level at the higher levels.

6) You will get Talents at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, and 90. These talents are basically "fluid" in that you can (and should) feel comfortable swapping between them depending on what you're doing. I really like Void Tendrils for questing, but you might find one of the other talents to be a better choice.

7) As Disc in a dungeon, your spell priority will probably be something like this until you hit the mid-40s or get Atonement: Power Word: Shield on the tank, Renew if the bubble breaks, Flash Heal or Heal if there is further damage. Otherwise, feel free to use Smite and Holy Fire on the mobs the tank is tanking to put out some extra DPS.

8) Carry a stack of water appropriate for your level in your bags.

9) Convert your party frames to raid frames and use with Mouseover Macros or Clique; or get a healing Addon such as VuhDo, Grid + Clique, or Healbot.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Honestly, most of the "complicated" stuff doesn't really matter until you're much higher level.
Edited by Tiriél on 1/30/2013 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Tiriel hit the nail on the head. Honestly you can get by at low levels with just renew/heal/shield until you get atonement, at which point it becomes shield/atonement for any damage that isn't 2 shotting the tank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
2) You want gear that has Intellect and Spirit on it. If the gear just has Intellect, that's okay, too, but it's generally best not to take items with JUST Spirit on them.

I wanted to toss in a quick comment on this. Don't be afraid in early levels (such as 40 and under) to take things that just have Intellect on them but no Spirit. The lower level gear still has some strange stats on them and actual healing gear doesn't really make a solid appearance until later. If the item is something you can use (i.e. cloth or a staff) and it is an upgrade don't be afraid to take it. As a healer you don't need hit but in the early levels (such as drops in level 15-25 5 mans), if something is an upgrade and just happens to have hit on it, don't be afraid to take it. You definitely don't want hit later on though, unless you plan to go into Shadow and do damage as your second spec.

Don't be afraid to tell people you are new and/or ask them to go a little slower for you. I distinctly recall repecc'ing my Shammy at 30 to heal and zoning into Scarlet Monastery. I told the group it was my first time healing on my Shammy and two DPS immediately drop group. The Druid tank however had no issues with it, pulled a little slower for me and we breezed right through it. We were all new once and don't let people give you a hard time for learning.

And never hesitate to tell the tank if you need mana. Sometimes even the best tanks miss it but if you have a group that can't wait 10 seconds for you to drink, let them run off and catch up to them when you have something to heal them with.

Good luck and have fun. I hope your adventures in Azeroth are fulfilling and filled with friendship. :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Thanks alot everyone Very helpful
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
As far as guides go, you really dont need any. But if you are still looking for spec help, you can go to noxxic.com or elitistjerks.com. both can help you.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
01/30/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Tiriél
9) Convert your party frames to raid frames and use with Mouseover Macros or Clique; or get a healing Addon such as VuhDo, Grid + Clique, or Healbot.

Can you explain this further please?
Reply Quote
Basically, the character portraits when you're in a party are like the least effective way to heal your party. You can't move em, they take up a lot of space, and they're in an inconvenient location all the way at the edge of the screen.

Raid frames are, well, the way large groups of people (raid groups) are displayed -- each person is represented by a box in a grid. And you can move the grid around and customize what information it gives you. It works really well for 5-man parties as well as raids.

I would suggest you go to Interface > Raid Frames and look through the options there. And I'd suggest you google mouseover macros, since you can find a guide that explains it much better than I can.
Edited by Heartsings on 2/1/2013 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/01/2013 06:46 PMPosted by Asklepois
Can you explain this further please?

Go to Interface -- > Raid Profiles

At the top will be a "use Raid-Style Party Frames." check that. Make sure to check "Keep Groups Together." There are a number of other options. Try them out!

Mouseover macros are pretty simple. Basically, they let you hover your mouse over someone's health bar and press a button to cast the spell on them, instead of having to target them first and THEN press the button to cast the spell.

A simple mouseover macro would be like the following:

#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover] Flash Heal

You would make the macros in your /macro menu, then drag the icon you choose to your action bar. Voila - when you hover your mouse over another person's health bar/body, you will cast the spell on them.

You can also download the addon Clique, which will do all of the actual coding for you and make it so that you don't have to use any action bar buttons at all. You just use the menu attached to your spellbook, and then bind the spell to a combination of mouse clicks and buttons like CTRL, Shift, and Alt. :)

I hope that helps!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
02/01/2013 07:56 PMPosted by Tiriél
You can also download the addon Clique

downloaded it but doesnt appear when i open spellbook??
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/03/2013 03:25 PMPosted by Asklepois
You can also download the addon Clique

downloaded it but doesnt appear when i open spellbook??

Did you make sure to install it? Unzip it into your WoW folder under Interface/Addons.

Once it's installed, when you log in, click the "Addons" button at the character selection screen to make sure it's turned on. Then when you log in, check your spellbook for an extra tab. That should be the Clique window. The tab will be at the bottom of the spellbook, if I remember correctly.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
when i try extracting to wow folder only things there are: account billing, technical support & world of Warcraft uninstall...... could it be because im on MoP trial?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
when i try extracting to wow folder only things there are: account billing, technical support & world of Warcraft uninstall...... could it be because im on MoP trial?

Okay, I don't know what operating system you're using, so I'm going to tell you how I get there in Windows 7.

Go to your C drive, look for the World of Warcraft folder. Open that. Inside should be various things (Cache, Data, Interface, Logs, etc). Look for the Interface folder. Open that. Inside the Interface folder should be an Addons folder. You want to put the unzipped addon into the Addons folder.

Does that make more sense?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
thanks alot finally got it :D your a life saver lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/03/2013 04:39 PMPosted by Asklepois
thanks alot finally got it :D your a life saver lol

:)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]