Rogue solo guide to Tempest Keep/Black Temple

90 Goblin Rogue
Let me preface by saying I've seen a lot of rogues asking about soloing Black Temple/ The Eye, for the glaives, ashes, or just transmog in general, and figured I'd share my experience with it. If you have MOP raid level gear its probably trivial to you, but fur us who don't share the same gear level it can be tricky. I'd like to share my experience with soloing these raids with less than 460 ilvl gear.

One last thing, often its assumed that since it is lower level content you don't need to be hit capped or exp capped because the bosses are lower level. This is not true. All bosses, whether 60 or 90, act the same as far as dodge/parry/block goes. 7.5% hit and 7.5% expertise is recommended. With 460 gear you probably won't be able to reach these marks, so aim for 7.5% hit while getting expertise as high as you can.

Tempest Keep
To get to KT, you do not need to clear any bosses. KT is not gated. However, to use the strategy posted later, you should kill Al'ar and clear all mobs you come across before and after him. (Disclaimer- if you are geared enough, you can stealth to KT, avoiding all mobs except the ones in his room and kill him there.)
    Trash

For killing KT only, you can avoid any trash that doesn't impede your way back to the start. For clearing the instance, any trash in the bosses' room need to be killed. You can wait until all trash despawns after killing the first three bosses and kill all trash leading up to KT, or you can kill trash on your way.

Al'ar- Easy

Al'ar is the first boss in Tempest Keep. Clear all trash in his room. Once you do that, aggro the phoenix by using deadly throw, and he will go to the first platform (the leftmost platform in his room as you enter). Get to him on that platform and dps him down, should be fairly easy. After you get him down enough, he will move clockwise around the room, and you should repeat this task. Once you defeat him on the last platform, he will spawn in the middle of the room. Dps him and kill the adds when they spawn. Another easy phase and you should have him down fairly quickly.

Void Reaver- Easy

Make your way to the left most corridor of the instance. You must kill all trash in Void Reaver's room before you pull him, otherwise they will aggro. Void Reaver is another easy kill, just keep recup up and dps him down, should be no problem.

Solarian - Easy

Solarian is the right most corridor of The Eye. Go to his room and kill all the trash surrounding him. The stationary trash along the walls are very easy to kill. There is a pack of trash towards the middle of the room which mind control, and may result in disconnects. Kill these trash as fast as possible, target the Nether Scryer and bring him down asap, he is the mc add. If you happen to get mc'd and dc'ed, don't worry. You'll zone back in and be able to try again.

As far as the Solarian fight, it's a very straight forward fight. Kill the adds when they pop and burn Solarian. As always, keep up recup and use leeching, kill adds when they spawn.

Kael'thas Sunstrider- Difficult
KT is tricky. With the strat given (for low ilvl characters) you need a clear path to the instance entrance. So, kill all adds to clear a path up to KT if you haven't already. There are 4 phases to this fight, first phase deals with his minions spawning to try and kill you, second phase deals with some swords, third phase is his minions spawning again all at once, and fourth phase is KT alone.

The toughest phase is phase 3, but the trick is that during P3 his minions spawn where they have died. So the idea is to kill them as far away as possible and force them to run to you. The strat is that you kill his adds as far away as possible, and they will have to take time to run to get you.

So, that being said, where you kill them during P1 is crucial. EQUIP A PVP TRINKET.

P1- run up and aggro KT. Once he starts his emotes, run back to the starting area, hide behind the first alcove. Hide behind the wall. Wait for the first add to appear. Kill him. The second add should be about a minute behind. Kill him at the same spot. Careful with him though, he will fear you, make sure you are far enough away that he won't fear you out of the instance. Once you kill him, run back to Al'ar's room. Go the the ramp to the right, and sit just out of los of the second level, basically a couple steps lower than the second level. The third add is a mage so you want him to come as close to you as possible. Make sure your back is to the wall and fight the mage there, he will knock you back and the worst thing to do is have your back facing the open room. He will disorient you for 10 seconds periodically as well, just keep recup up and you will be fine. Once you kill him head back to KT's room and you will eventually meet up with the engineer. His ability puts a debuff on you which will randomly stun you for a few seconds. It's impossible to counter, just have to deal with it. He doesn't do much damage, just try to kite him to the hallway right before KT's room and kill him.

P2- Sit in the hallway where you killed the engineer. KT will emote a bunch of stuff and will eventually spawn a bunch of swords. I advise going combat for this fight, which I was when I killed him. Pop blade flurry and kill theses swords asap. Don't pop cd's, you have a minute to kill them and should be plenty of time.

P3- This is where your positioning in P1 comes in handy. The adds will spawn all together, but will have to run to get to your spot. First up is the engineer you killed closest to you. Burn him down quick. Second up is the mage, if you have to pop some cooldowns, the mage needs to die fast (I didn't need cds). Third and fourth adds just burn down. Once they are down KT will emote some other crap, just sit in the hallway where you killed the engineer and let him come.

P4- This is where it gets tough, KT will come to you. Keep recup up and shiv for leeching poison proc every chance you get. Kick every pyroblast you see. Pop blade flurry again for the adds. Once he gets to 50% he will go back in his room and do some more emotes. When you are able to target him again pop every cd you have (adrenaline rush/shadow blades). This is the burn/gcd phase. Kick pyroblast every time you see it. Try and burn him as fast as possible, he adds a stacking debuff that diminishes your health. When I killed him I had so little health some of his abilities were doing about 50% of my hp. When you get low, use cloak/evasion/combat readiness. Prep and do it again. This is also where trinket becomes handy, he will disorient you periodically. Try and save trinket for when you are low and need to use a defensive cd. Burn as fast as you can and survive. Don't get discouraged if you die, a lot of rng has to do with killing him. Keep with it and you'll get him down.
Edited by Écstacy on 5/13/2013 11:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
So, we've got KT down, that was the easy part. BT is a bit of a step up from The Eye.

Black Temple
To kill Illidan, you must kill all 8 bosses leading up to him.

Trash

Almost all trash can be avoided in BT, except for the two elementals just before Naj'entus, all mobs in Shade's room, and two mobs before Gorefiend. Everything else just stealth around.

Naj'entus- Easy

Naj'entus is basically a 'dps check'. Make sure to kill the two elementals before him. Once you are on him, just burn him down. Keep recup up and you probably won't even need to use any defensive cd's. I did this fight with ilvl 445 gear, got close to his 8 min enrage timer but was able to do it. He will periodically pop a shield on himself and heal, just dps through it. I used that time to stack combo points/refresh recup or SnD and pool energy. At 455+ ilvl this is pretty trivial.

Supremus- Easy

Again, with decent dps, Supremus is very easy. As a fresh 90 in quest greens I was again able to kill him, got close at the end but doable. With heroic gear it became trivial. Supremus doesn't do anything really special, just burn him down, and move out of the blue fire he will periodically put on the ground under you.

Shade of Akama- Easy

Once you enter into the temple, hug the wall to the right just before the first pack of mobs and head towards Shade's room. You will also need to stealth behind the mobs guarding the room's entrance. Once in the room, kill all mobs there. This is the one place in BT where the dogs will see you from a mile away, so try to get one pack at a time. Kill all adds in the room, and then talk to Akama. Once you talk to Akama, he will start the encounter. Kill the 5 sorcerers channeling at the front of the room while fending off waves of attackers. Once the sorcerers are down Shade will appear and just dps him down. As combat this was very easy, just pop blade flurry and the waves of adds will die fast while you kill the channelers.

Teron Gorefiend- Easy

Gorefiend is another easy fight. You can skip the first two mobs you come across, but you need to kill the two closest to him. He's another boss with nothing special to worry about, just burn him down. Again, was able to do this in quest level greens but did get a bit low. Kept recup up, shiv'd on cd and rotated defensive cd's with prep and was able to survive. With decent gear you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

Gurtogg Bloodboil- Medium

Gurtogg is the first 'challenge' of BT if you come in with heroic or less gear. -Update- We no longer have cloak on prep so I'm not sure how viable this is at low gear ilvls. Gurtogg puts a stacking debuff on you which can be cloaked off. My advice to you is this, when you are at about 90% health pop a physical cd or two (evasion, combat readiness) and try to stay at high health. At about 50% health, pop cloak (which will remove the damaging debuff), prep and evasion/cr again. Hopefully with these cd's you will be back near full health. After this, it's a race to kill him before he kills you. He will do a knockback, you should engage him as quick as possible after these because he will apply the debuff at range. Prepare yourself with a health pot to give yourself more time.

Reliquary of Souls- Medium

RoS is another challenging fight with bad gear. At 459 I am able to one shot now but at lower gear P2 was tough. P1 RoS will put a healing debuff on you halfway through the phase, just dps through it and you should be fine. Mid phase you will regain health by killing adds (easy phase). Once you get to P2, watch for when RoS casts spirit shock and interrupt it every time you can. She casts it frequently, so kick may be on cd once or twice and you'll have to eat the disorient it does. You can use arcane torrent if you are a BE when your kick is down. You will also take a lot of damage this phase. Rotate defensive cds, use prep, keep up recup and shiv on cd while burning as fast as possible and interrupting whenever you can. Use a health pot if you need. Do not use offensive cds. This phase, the more damage you do the more damage you take. Once you get past P2, P3 is again trivial, just burn and loot.

Mother Shahraz- Easy

If you've gotten to this point in the instance you shouldn't have a problem with Shahraz. She might do a bit of damage, but again, recup shiv and rotate cds and you will be fine.

The Illidari Council- Difficult

This is a fight I still struggle on, and may take 3-4 attempts to kill with 459 gear. The 4 mobs in the council share a health pool, so combat spec is recommended here. I can kill everything in BT as assassination except for this fight. At gear lower than ilvl 455 I wasn't able to kill them, so make sure to come prepared with food/flasks/pots if you are close to this ilvl. Make sure blade flurry is up as well as leeching poison. I used prep and combat readiness for this fight as well as glyph of evasion, blade flurry and Adrenaline rush. Using a focus kick macro is a must. The healer, Lady Malande, will periodically cast circle of healing which must be kicked, if you miss one you probably will not last the fight. But, she will also get BoP'ed to where you cannot interrupt or damage her. That is why the focus kick macro is needed, because you'll want to kill the paladin, Gathios, during the fight so you don't have to worry about swapping off.

Focus Malande, target Gathios, get a food buff and flask up if you need, I pre-pot a Virmen's Bite and once I get a 5 point recup up will pop killing spree. After killing spree I'll pop evasion while trying to keep up SnD and rupture all the while kicking circle of healing every time I see it. You can try to kite out of the aoe damage, but I tend to not do that because Malande probably won't follow you and you'll have a more difficult time kicking the heal. Use feint when you can to reduce the aoe damage. Be sure to have a health pot with you and use that once the pot cd is up. Using shiv on cd is a must for the leeching poison proc. Difficult, fun fight but can be done in heroic gear. Just keep at it and they will go down.

Illidan Stormrage- Easy

If you've gotten to this point you shouldn't have much of an issue with Illidan. P1 and P3 are just burning him down, watch for blue stuff on the ground, save all cds for P2. Once P2 hits he will go up in the air and spawn two large elementals. You can do this any spec, but combat works well for P2 because of blade flurry. Make sure you stand exactly in the middle of the two adds that spawn and let them come to you, if you pull them further away from where they spawned they will start doing an insane amount of damage. Just stand in the middle and you'll be fine. The will do a bit of damage to you, but their fire is magic so just cloak when you need. Pop cds and burn them down, should be fairly easy. P3 again just burn down Illidan, pray and loot!

Hope this helps some of you guys, once you get some raid gear both these instance become trivial. But for those fresh 90s it can be a difficult adventure. Good luck on the glaives!
Edited by Écstacy on 5/14/2013 12:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Soloing Tempest keep is easy especially as combat, I'd like to know how to solo BT the eye boss is tough and I cannot take the Illidan elemental damage at 80k a hit
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
this is not a "bad gear" guide, this is a "I'm level 85" guide. Or "I'm lvl 90 but also retarded and want to solo raids in ilvl 400 greens". KT is a joke at lvl 90 combat spec even with 460 gear and you don't have to leave his room.

Clear KT's room, kill advisors and weapons where they are, except for the 3rd adviser (caster, Capernian), kill her far away by the door. stand by her when they rez and burst her down while the others run to you (AR, cloak). don't equip any weapons, can use pvp trink for the 10 sec disorient. kill boss anyway you like, the end.

In BT, use combat readiness & AR on P2 of reliquary (desire), use AR/BF and cloak to burst down the 2 shards on Illidan. that's it, nothing else there can kill a lvl 90. most stuff doesnt get you under 90% HP. obviously use leeching poison and recup as needed, common sense.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
the face boss in BT does damage to you based on how much you do to the boss best way is to

get leeching poison and shiv on CD

keep recuperate up

build CPs with Expose so you dont nuke yourself

just keep up SnD and kill it with auto attack

interrupt when u can

i do it this way and never go below like 60% hp.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Illidan Stormrage- Easy

If you've gotten to this point you shouldn't have much of an issue with Illidan. P1 and P3 are just burning him down, watch for blue stuff on the ground, save all cds for P2. Once P2 hits he will go up in the air and spawn two large elementals. You can do this any spec, but combat works well for P2 because of blade flurry. Make sure you stand exactly in the middle of the two adds and let them come to you, if you pull them further away from where they spawned they will start doing an insane amount of damage. Just stand in the middle and you'll be fine.

Wooow, so that was my problem ~.~

i did BT upto Illidan a couple weeks ago and i just could not beat the old guy.
well, i couldn't beat his elementals...i kept dieing on that park, taking all that damage.

now i know! i need to stand in the middle!
thank you for the guide xD
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Illidan Stormrage- Easy

If you've gotten to this point you shouldn't have much of an issue with Illidan. P1 and P3 are just burning him down, watch for blue stuff on the ground, save all cds for P2. Once P2 hits he will go up in the air and spawn two large elementals. You can do this any spec, but combat works well for P2 because of blade flurry. Make sure you stand exactly in the middle of the two adds and let them come to you, if you pull them further away from where they spawned they will start doing an insane amount of damage. Just stand in the middle and you'll be fine.

Wooow, so that was my problem ~.~

i did BT upto Illidan a couple weeks ago and i just could not beat the old guy.
well, i couldn't beat his elementals...i kept dieing on that park, taking all that damage.

now i know! i need to stand in the middle!
thank you for the guide xD

np, glad I could help out :). Like I said, having decent raid gear these raids should be pretty trivial, but some tough mechanics can be avoided. I'm no expert solo artist by any means but with practice (especially with Council) I've learned BT and TK are doable with at best heroic level gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Council in BT is very easy if you just go Combat and cleave. Even using combat daggers I managed it okay, the cleave really helps.

Also, it might be even easier in 5.2 with this mechanic given the way they changed Blade Flurry.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
To get to KT you DO NOT need to kill the first 3 bosses or any of the trash in the instance. In fact, you can leave the trash up in KTs room if you want. I used to solo this once a week and would skip everything and go right to KT. Normally I kill the trash in his room but sometimes I would leave it up.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Just wanted to make a small note since you don't mention it. It doesn't really matter too much since Recuperate is enough to keep you alive, but Leeching Poison won't work on Void Reaver since he is immune to poisons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
What is the minimal health you should have for Black Temple?

For some reason i'm having a lot of trouble on Supremus, not sure why.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Rogue
What is the minimal health you should have for Black Temple?

For some reason i'm having a lot of trouble on Supremus, not sure why.
Please don't necro threads.

Don't bother with soloing old raids before you're lvl 90. Your time would be much better spent leveling.

For Supremus just move out of the AoE and you should be fine. Also you're going to want Leeching Poison and Combat Readiness for any old raid solo'ing, they'll help you much more than the alternative talents.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I now have some raid gear, ilvl 466, yet still can't get past Gurtogg. I don't know why. Please help!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I now have some raid gear, ilvl 466, yet still can't get past Gurtogg. I don't know why. Please help!

Get some enchants read the stickies in this forum about to play rogue, then profit.

You have sufficient gear to kills this lvl 70 boss, hes not hard so i think you just dont know how to play the class.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
As I said before, tanking weapon ench, like Colossus, helps alot in some of the fights.
Reply Quote
Last time i solo'd BT i was assassination the entire time, beat council with 100% hp, LFR gear
I have been meaning to go back and do it in pvp gear though, just for the sake of being able to say its doable
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
God I remember having to do all that kiting on keal at 85 it was so much fun because even doing that it was still a real challenge went in last week just zerged it I loled.
Edited by Firatha on 5/11/2013 2:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Updated for accuracy. Thanks for all the input guys! If this helped you out, report for sticky! I know I would love to have this guide available when I started going for those glaives and ashes as a fresh 90. Since then have looted the main hand glaive after clearing every week! No ashes unfortunately, but love giving fresh 90's a roadmap for it.
Edited by Écstacy on 5/14/2013 12:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
As I said before, tanking weapon ench, like Colossus, helps alot in some of the fights.

Never thought of that, that's a great idea.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
It's worth noting that on reliquary, the fight is easier as assassination over combat (and possibly sub) because of all of the passive bleed damage. My experience as combat on it seems to be that you blow yourself up even without trying to. This is actually the only fight that I wouldn't recommend anyone doing as combat. Ever. Also the only fight that I would recommend any sort of /stopattack macro so you don't beat yourself to death if you start getting low on health. Leeching poison is nice but unless you are literally borderline killing it, it won't save you in P2

Gurtogg Bloodboil I've found to be easier as combat than assassination, I think the cooldowns work better when fighting him at lower gear levels, though it becomes negligible at higher ones when it's not so much a race against the clock to drop him before his dots overwhelm you. Unless you can't cloak or have healing potions at lower level, leeching poison will benefit you here as it offsets a lot of the bleed damage at the start

On Illidari Council, most of the melee follows you around. Kite them around and switch between the two casters as your flurry targets, keeps you out of the 'fire' and lets you last much longer. Also, dropping them to 1HP doesn't kill them right away, you have to keep them there for several seconds before they actually die.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]