Upgraded PC Hardware caused Graphics Problem.

90 Night Elf Druid
I recently upgraded from a 512MB graphics card to a 1GB graphics card (Both Nvidia), and upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12GB.
Now, im getting glitches wherever I go.
Trees stretch up to the sky, and Mountains have what looks like roads coming out of them, stretching from one side of the map to the other.
This has no effect on my gameplay itself, but its becoming very visually displeasing to the point where I log off and dont play for a day or two.
My computer is up to date on everything, drivers and all. Its clean, not overheating, etc.

Maybe I have to configure my graphics card a certain way?
or the in-game graphics setting?

If someone could help, that would be great.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Bump
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Two things to double check. First, ensure you have the most current video drivers. Check nVidia's website for that. Second, try deleting your config.wtf file and allow WoW to redo the graphics settings.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
When installing a new graphics card for your system, make sure the PSU (Power Supply Unit) wattage and voltage not only meet the requirements for the graphics card but for the motherboard/ram/cpu/etc. as well....

Make sure the graphics card is the right slot (usually it's a PCI-e slot x16)

Check your motherboard's manual or find something about the motherboard as they either support DDR 1,2, or 3.... make sure the MHz of the ram sticks you got are the supported speeds for the Motherboard and make sure the your motherboard can handle 12 GB as it's possible it can only support only to a certain amount of memory even if you have a 64-bit operating system...

Do not mix in ram sticks this means the ram sticks must be the same manufacture, same speeds, and same memory, same DDR version, and same form factor.

Also I want to find out the "Bus Support" the PCI Express slot version the motherboard is since if you get a graphics card that is PCI Express 3.0 and the motherboard for your system is PCI Express 2.0 then what will happen is the graphics card should still work but the performance of the graphics card will go down....

I also recommend re-installing the graphics card driver and to do a "clean install"... it's what I had to do when I had a GTX 460 then replace it with a GTX 680...
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 11:14 PMPosted by Moonpaws
upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12GB.

I'm curious about this in regards to your issue. Did you have a 4gig stick and add an additional 8gig? What did you do here? What you describe sounds like a memory-related problem. Restore the system's original memory, same stick(s) and same slots and see if the problem persists. If it continues, this will at least rule out mobo/ram incompatibilities or faults and narrow the issue to just the vid card and related hardware/software. Faulty memory on the vid card can also be at fault.

Post a dxdiag if the mobo memory swap doesn't cure the problem. Post a OS type, mobo model#, and memory part# if it does.
Reply Quote
Just because both cards are nvidia.. And the download file is the same. Doesn't mean you do not need to reinstall video drivers.

Yes, the video drivers can be the same across many cards. The difference is what items are included for each card. One card may use nvidia.dll and another card may not. Therefore, it would be missing some files required to work correctly. And have some files that are absolutely worthless to the different video card.

When swapping video cards. Always do a complete uninstall of drivers. And reinstall new drivers with new card. Even if both cards require the same file driver download. Or, you gotta mess.
Edited by Druenny on 2/3/2013 3:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It would help if the OP said what cards he had and is using now. Theres little point in going from a 512gb card to a 1gb if the 1gb is a lower model and/or is an economy model.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Just because both cards are nvidia.. And the download file is the same. Doesn't mean you do not need to reinstall video drivers.

Yes, the video drivers can be the same across many cards. The difference is what items are included for each card. One card may use nvidia.dll and another card may not. Therefore, it would be missing some files required to work correctly. And have some files that are absolutely worthless to the different video card.

When swapping video cards. Always do a complete uninstall of drivers. And reinstall new drivers with new card. Even if both cards require the same file driver download. Or, you gotta mess.

uhhhh my brain hurts from this contradiction....

I had a GTX 460 with driver version 310.90 but recently replaced it with an GTX 680 but I had to did a re-install (always best to do a clean install) in order to get it run "properly" otherwise the speed/performance will be miniscule...

With the recent driver versions for Nvidia cards (as long their not considered legacy) then you can choose "advance options/installation" then pick which drivers/software to install and the handy "clean install" is below the list...

02/03/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Discobob
It would help if the OP said what cards he had and is using now. Theres little point in going from a 512gb card to a 1gb if the 1gb is a lower model and/or is an economy model.

True as this mainly helps with textures but the speed of the graphics card should also be looked at as well though a lot of manufacturers do tend to sell a overclocked than what the nividia's reference list on their website..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I had a Nvidia GeForce 3800. Then went to a GeForce 210.
I have an Asus gaming motherboard (P7P55D-E), with 4 RAM slots.
Two Crucial 2GB dual channel DDR3 in the first two and Two Crucial 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 in the last two.
Which is fine, as long as their pairs, the motherboard can take it.
I may have had the wrong drivers for the card,
But I wiped my computer yesterday and reloaded everything.
I then went to the Nvidia website and let it detect my graphics card, which it gave me the drivers and I installed them.
Tried playing again, It wasnt doing it at first, then it started again.
Ive come to the conclusion that these are screen tears, Its the first time its happened.
I turned on Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering on the In game settings, and it seemed to go away for about 20 mins and started again.
Should I turn the Vertical Sync on, on my graphics card and see if that helps?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Priest
Try this - on the Launcher screen top corner Options > Game Preferences > Graphics API - toggle that to DirectX 9 from DirectX 11. Go test.

If you still have problems create a dxdiag and paste the long wall of text on your thread here.

Press windows key + R - a Run box will appear - type dxdiag in box and click OK. Let the windows tool load and use the save tab along bottom.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Tried it on DirectX 9, went a million times worse.
Went back to DirectX 11, Tuned on Vertical Sync on my Grapics Card, Along with Triple Buffering, Seems to be working.
Ive gotten two or three tears since then, and it seems to show up after a period of time playing the game.
I just wish I could get them gone for good.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Mage
Just to make sure you had a Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 video card before? And you replaced it with a GT 210?
Edited by Northernlite on 2/6/2013 1:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My bad,
it was a Geforce 8400GS DDR2 512MB
Im not very Graphics Card Savvy,
So if the 8400GS is better, I still have it and can put it back in.
Edited by Moonpaws on 2/6/2013 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
84 Dwarf Shaman
My bad,
it was a Geforce 8400GS DDR3* 512MB
Im not very Graphics Card Savvy,
So if the 8400GS is better, I still have it and can put it back in.

*Fixed, this makes a huge difference.

• make sure you have the GPU inserted in the x16 slot and not the x4 slot
  • you have the lowest possible card that is capable of simply running the game, reference link:
    [https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-requirements-for-world-of-warcraft]
  • make sure you have all settings on Ultra-low (everything on low and all optional settings off, including triple buffering and vertical sync)
  • Vertical sync and triple buffering are designed to cap framerates at the monitor refresh rate, this is mostly irrelevant when your GPU is not capable of running at 60FPS.
  • the Geforce 210 is only slightly better, if you just purchased this card, if it is possible, I would recommend returning it and buying an nVidia Gefore 500/600 series or AMD Radeon 6000/7000 series video card. (Newegg and Amazon have them for less than $100)
  • Geforce 210 [http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+210&id=1169]

• Geforce 8400 GS [http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+8400GS&id=85]
    -- graphical representation of how your cards rate against other cards
  • Even if you were running off integrated graphics, 12GB of RAM would not improve performance
  • I'm pretty sure you are running a 1st generation Core iX processor.

• Your CPU is making up for your GPU lackluster performance.
  • A new video card will feel like night and day.
  • Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    100 Human Mage
    The two cards are basicly equal the slight diffrence in preformance is the extra memory and a few tweaks. The GT 210 is just a rebranded 8400 sorry to say both have the GT 218 chip in them
    Card Name_____________Intro Date___________Chip
    GeForce 210___________October 12, 2009_____GT218
    GeForce 8400 GS rev.3___Jan 2008____________GT218

Edited by Northernlite on 2/6/2013 8:24 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    Ive got an i3 processor. 540 @ 3.07 GHz
    Looking into getting an i7.

But thanks for the info,
    Ill head to microcenter and see what I can get :)
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    Bought a GeForce 520 today and installed it, everything seems to be working fine now :)
    Reply Quote
    84 Dwarf Shaman
    Awesome. Glad to hear that helped!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]