The Light is the Dark by Laird Barron

69 Pandaren Monk
Just finished The Light is the Darkness by Laird Barron. I was in a Lovecraft/Howard sorta mood and stumbled onto his book. This packs a great punch. A Lovecraftian story about a man looking for his sister lost among dark forces. It's told with a unique and real voice. I haven't read something this powerful in a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's really cool to see some love for Barron on here. One of my very favorite new authors. I've known he was a talent to pay attention to ever since I read "Proboscis" years ago in one of the Mammoth Books of Best New Horror. I haven't gotten the chance to read The Light is the Darkness just yet, but I'm planning to make that my next purchase. If you haven't read his first novel, The Croning, I'd highly recommend that one. It's not perfect, as I feel Barron was feeling his way out as to how to manage a novel-length work, but it's damn good for a debut.

Also, his short stories are fantastic. I'd particularly recommend "The Forest" (one of the best horror stories I've ever had the pleasure to read), "Hallucigenia", "Procession of the Black Sloth", and "The Broadsword."
Reply Quote
69 Pandaren Monk
Well, I did read the Croning shortly after I read The Light is the Darkness. I liked that one too, especially the prologue, but as a whole The Light is where he hit is stride. I have his first to short story collections and I'm looking forward to reading them. I haven't been this excited about a new horror writer in a long time. I just happened upon him as a Kindle suggestion when I was looking up Lovecraft related books and was instantly intrigued by the cover of The Light. Thanks Kindle. lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]