Ret dps lacking

90 Human Paladin
Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forums, I recently came back to WOW to try it out after all the good things i heard about MoP, I had decided to play a paladin seeing as how that's what i raided with/played so i was comforatable/familliar with pallys, Now i have to say as i was leveling i found ret to be amazing, I could engage and kill 5-6 mobs at a time, toss a heal on myself and keep going, now i realise low level gameplay and end-game gameplay are different, but i wasn't expecting such a drastic drop, I have been expermenting with different talents and builds and i have noticed that ret dps is rather.....lacking... using a templars verdict without wings or any buffs usually hits for around 20k (my gear isn't amazing will post armory link, although i have mostly heroic gear) which i found to be rather low, especially since i have to blow 3 abilities to gain 3 holy power just to use 1 templars verdict, What i find interesting is i was running with a warrior who has just about the same ilvl and gear i do, heroic peices with a few lfr. yet i see him hittin for 40-50k like its a breeze, now im not saying templars verdict doesn't hit hard, but for the most part( except for rare occasions or lucky crits) unless i use wings and pop my other cooldowns my TV doesn't reach anywhere near 50k dmg a hit. this is pretty frustrating when trying to grind mobs or do dailies and you have to sit and fight a single mob for over a minute, very time consuming and lets be honest, nobody wants to sit there for 30 minutes to complete 2 quests.. even in pvp, a spriest can usually "USUALLY" outheal through my dmg, i mean wtf really? im not the best pvper in the world but i have been playing since vanilla so i do know a thing or two about timing/rotations for pvp.. yet i can barely hurt anyone, DK's own me, hunters own me, everything owns me, makes it pretty unfun to play conidering i spent a week of my time, like 10 hours a day rushing this guy to 90. Also some of the glyphs i've noticed for ret pallies are the utmost retarded glyhps in the game, 10% damage reduction when you use TV? lol you're kidding me right, i realise that it can be helpful in pvp, but ret pallies arn't tanks, they shouldn't be tanks, so why give them tankish glyph's/abilities, shouldn't they not have like 10% increased dmg after using tv or somthing, i just feel like blizzard didn't take their time with ret pallies in this expansion, figure somthing out or i guess it's time to reroll...

Edit* posting my armory link*
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightnings-blade/Jynji/simple
*I DO NOT CLAIM TO HAVE THE BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD, So don't come to me with "oh your gear sucks"*
Edited by Jynji on 2/4/2013 3:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Not hit capped, not exp capped, low haste, probably not keeping Inq up.

Please, read the stickies before posting threads about your class being underpowered.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Well, while I know you don't want to hear it, capping your hit and expertise would help a LOT.

I was last in heroics -all- the time until I managed to get near capped with mine, now I'm middle ground, sometimes top, though I'm usually not passed by much dps.

So yeah, I'd reforge/gem some more hit/exp, then see how you do, it'll help out a lot more than you might think.

Sure, we aren't the top dps class, but we can definitely hold our own, and we bring some utility along, which is pretty nice.
Edited by Myliah on 2/4/2013 4:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
What Myliah said, PLUS, you need to abandon the Seal of Truth Glyp, that is a dps loss no matter the situation. And just so you know, the level 60 talent Sanctified Wrath is better than Holy Avenger and level 90 talent, Execution Sentence is better than Lights Hammer for single target. Hit and exp caps are mandatory. Good luck!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Dat wall of text.....

Not hit capped, not exp capped, low haste, probably not keeping Inq up.

Please, read the stickies before posting threads about your class being underpowered.

^

Read this if you actually want to bother with trying to better yourself, although the tone of your post suggest you just wanted to complain because your spec performed badly when you maintained it badly.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657441833

02/04/2013 03:55 AMPosted by Jynji
10% damage reduction when you use TV? lol you're kidding me right, i realise that it can be helpful in pvp

No, no one is kidding you. That is one of our most powerful glyphs and pretty much required.

10% damage reduction is pretty amazing.

Especially added up of the entire course of an encounter.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 2/4/2013 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/04/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Invincible
Ret is a beast in pve once you gear up.

Lol @Invincible. You've barely even raided, haven't even completed a dungeon and you can declare this? Ret is NOT
'a beast' in PvE. It's middle of the road or less over time.

Stop posting when you obviously know nothing.

And OP, despite all the good advice in this thread, you can follow it and find that in the end, with all your hit/exp caps and haste and glyphs, Ret dps is still lacking. It's not a dps class, it's some stupid 'hybrid' or something.
Edited by Benevor on 2/4/2013 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/04/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Benevor

This is one of those rare occasions where I actually agree with Invincible - and if you're not seeing it, you're doing something horribly wrong...And a cursory glance at your Armory confirms.

Obligatory: Content completion does not equate spec competency.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Lol @Invincible. You've barely even raided, haven't even completed a dungeon and you can declare this? Ret is NOT
'a beast' in PvE. It's middle of the road or less over time.

And OP, despite all the good advice in this thread, you can follow it and find that in the end, with all your hit/exp caps and haste and glyphs, Ret dps is still lacking. It's not a dps class, it's some stupid 'hybrid' or something.

Your progression isnt much better..."Those in glass houses" and all that.

Though for once in his forum posting history, Invince is right.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

lol, Good joke.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/04/2013 02:36 PMPosted by Thadium

lol, Good joke.

It's not a joke; you're just not geared properly to see it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is a beast when you are 'skilled' and geared and are comparing yourself to people that are performing badly and/or are in suboptimal gear. Or are using LFR as a measuring stick... which makes little sense to me.

Otherwise, we're average to above average. OR I could keep in mind that I'm constantly #2 in damage for guild raids and be happy about that. After all, those are the people I'm in direct competition with, right?

Ret dps is still lacking. It's not a dps class, it's some stupid 'hybrid' or something.

This is wrong. Paladin is a hybrid class with a dps spec, just like the other 2 plate classes. If you are underperforming maybe you should read the stickies. Or use realistic comparisons when gauging strength. Playing a warrior might be a better choice for you.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
lol, Good joke.

Real PVE, not LFR
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
02/04/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Paladinchaz
Real PVE, not LFR

"Real PvE" for you may be normal and heroic raids. "Real PvE" for me IS LFR.

Do you know the reason LFR was introduced? It was designed for the more "Casual" players like me, who don't have much play time, to experience end game content. Why should LFR not be considered "Real PvE" And also, why should ret not be balanced in LFR?

The way I see it... Normal and Heroic raiders are the "Elitist". They have separated themselves from all others because, in their mind, everything else is not "Real PvE" This is what I have been seeing all over the place.

LFR doesn't count.. Dungeons don't count... Non-rated BG's don't count... Only "Real Raiding" and Rated BG's count. Sounds all wrong to me.

Casual players do out number the raiders as well at the hardcore PvP players. Why should I have to subject myself to dealing with the "Real PvE" players in order to get the gear required to be "Middle of the pack" ( Or Beast, or what ever you want to call it )

I am not directing this towards anyone in particular, I am speaking of the raiding community as a whole. ( From what I have seen )
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You shouldn't be worrying about your dps at that ilvl. Just q for lfr and collect loot until you get some gear worth enchanting. Ret is a beast in pve once you gear up.
I'm going to say you over exaggerated a bit, or what you said is simply being read out of context. Ret is in a good spot right now, not the best, but certainly not the worst.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
"Real PvE" for you may be normal and heroic raids. "Real PvE" for me IS LFR.

Do you know the reason LFR was introduced? It was designed for the more "Casual" players like me, who don't have much play time, to experience end game content. Why should LFR not be considered "Real PvE" And also, why should ret not be balanced in LFR?

The way I see it... Normal and Heroic raiders are the "Elitist". They have separated themselves from all others because, in their mind, everything else is not "Real PvE" This is what I have been seeing all over the place.

LFR doesn't count.. Dungeons don't count... Non-rated BG's don't count... Only "Real Raiding" and Rated BG's count. Sounds all wrong to me.

Casual players do out number the raiders as well at the hardcore PvP players. Why should I have to subject myself to dealing with the "Real PvE" players in order to get the gear required to be "Middle of the pack" ( Or Beast, or what ever you want to call it )

I am not directing this towards anyone in particular, I am speaking of the raiding community as a whole. ( From what I have seen )

Not hit cap, not exp cap, you have a 20str/hit gem, also have pure str gems when haste would be better. wrong weapon enchant. That has nothing to do with why your LFR dps is low, it's the class you're playing ofc
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/04/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
And a cursory glance at your Armory confirms

Bring it on Grog. There is nothing wrong with my armory.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/04/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Benevor

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/emerald%20dream/benevor/

there is something wrong with something in your something
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

Pure blue hit gem. All I need to say.

EDIT: Because I feel like being thorough, you have no clear gemming bias - you have a mix of pure haste and pure strength gems, when it should be one or the other (except Serpent's Eyes - leave those as Bold at all times, matching red sockets where possible, prismatics otherwise); your personal stat weights clearly indicate that you need to be gemming with a bias towards haste. This means that you should be matching yellow and prismatic sockets with Quick gems (except where you need Serpent's Eyes), blue sockets with Lightning gems, and red sockets with Fierce gems (except where you need Serpent's Eyes). Considering you're a good bit over hit cap, probably want to change cloak enchant to crit instead of hit.
Edited by Grôgnárd on 2/4/2013 4:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior

Not hit cap, not exp cap, you have a 20str/hit gem, also have pure str gems when haste would be better. wrong weapon enchant. That has nothing to do with why your LFR dps is low, it's the class you're playing ofc

Gemming for haste is only viable once you reach a certain gear plateau. That's why ret paladins should be running SimC to find out when Haste matches/supersedes Str in stat weightage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]