Top 10 Underrated Metal bands

87 Human Rogue
any sub-genre. MUST BE METAL (Not Core like Metalcore or Emocore)
10. Saxon
9. Korpiklaani
8. System Divide
7. Primal Fear
6. Insomnium (Some good Death Metal)
5. Rhapsody of Fire
4. Alchemist
3. Iced Earth (Screw Metallica Iced Earth is the top of Thrash)
2. Epica
1. Blind Guardian (Should be mainstream)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Though not mainstream in the way that top 40 pop artists are "mainstream," none of those bands are really underrated or unheard of (I was in Germany back in 2010 for Wacken, and there were Blind Guardian advertisements inside of convenience stores). They're all very well established and have made made names for themselves. Hell, Saxon is widely considered one of the greatest traditional heavy metal bands ever (thanks Strong Arm of the Law). Anyway, in no particular order...

Hell
Pharaoh
In Solitude
Cormorant
Persuader
Vicious Rumors
Hammers of Misfortune
Slough Feg
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Malison Rogue
Edited by Zanuvial on 2/4/2013 5:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Death Knight
Though not mainstream in the way that top 40 pop artists are "mainstream," none of those bands are really underrated or unheard of (I was in Germany back in 2010 for Wacken, and there were Blind Guardian advertisements inside of convenience stores). They're all very well established and have made made names for themselves. Hell, Saxon is widely considered one of the greatest traditional heavy metal bands ever (thanks Strong Arm of the Law). Anyway, in no particular order...

Slough Feg
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Malison Rogue

I was at wacken last year and most the promotions were either for Therion's new record, Epica's HMA nomination or Helloween's newly announced record at the time

I think Thol means Guardian needs to expand to North American fans of metal music looking for a band that is still alive protraying something simillar to Traditional Metal
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I was at wacken last year and most the promotions were either for Therion's new record, Epica's HMA nomination or Helloween's newly announced record at the time

I think Thol means Guardian needs to expand to North American fans of metal music looking for a band that is still alive protraying something simillar to Traditional Metal

One of the problems is that the fan base just isn't there in the U.S. When I was in college, I interviewed the drummer from Hammerfall, and he said that the crowds in the U.S. aren't even comparable to those you'll see in Europe and other parts of the world. Touring and playing shows is huge for bands, and a lot just won't come here since there's not enough support.

It's why BG will only ever come to the US on a major world tour for a new album. Not enough people coming out to shows. The music itself just isn't as big over here. Maybe it's the culture. Or terrible promoters, haha.
Edited by Zanuvial on 2/5/2013 4:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
It's kinda sad actually. There's a lot of great metal acts overseas but unfortunately, NA is too into the absolutely mindless garbage and screamo style stuff, neither of which have any melody and just revolve around playing the guitar as fast as possible and screaming nonsense about murdering ex girlfriends or slitting their wrists.

It impacts a lot of good acts, even for us industrial fans, as the bands we love overseas won't come here hardly at all and if they do, can only (sometimes) manage to get a nightclub full of the few die hard fans compared to the arenas they would fill in Europe.

I wish more European acts would play in the states, but the interest just isn't there. If it's not mindless screaming, rap, "dubstep," or autotuned pop music, Americans just aren't interested in it anymore and it really hurts those of us who are true fans of the genres and truly do appreciate the work put into the music by European artists.

I could name a ton of industrial and true metal music by our European brethren which stomp the absolute piss out of the mass produced, imitated, and complete lack of creativity in the American garbage in every area, from live stage presence to sound quality (live AND album) to production value to creativity.
Edited by Bullettime on 2/5/2013 4:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
American Metal died when Darrell Abbott was shot. It lived on as a zombie for a few years, but was finally put down when Pete Steele died.

Other than Machine Head and GWAR(both older bands that have been around for 20+ years), there isn't really any modern American Metal worth looking at.

I would gladly trade all the 5 Finger Death Punches, Killswitch Engages, and As I Lay Dyings to have Darrell and Pete Steele back.
Edited by Confuciorc on 2/5/2013 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
02/05/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Confuciorc
American Metal died when Darrell Abbott was shot. It lived on as a zombie for a few years, but was finally put down when Pete Steele died.

You say this but Dream theater came out with an awesome new album a bit over a year ago iirc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I would definitely agree, mainstream metal (and rock) has pretty much been dead in America for ages now, with a few rare exceptions.

Edit: Wow, I fail. I totally didn't notice 'underrated'. In that case, a lot of my favorite bands don't belong here, ha-ha. I guess Megadeth is often underrated in comparison to Metallica, but I'm not sure that counts.

In that case, I'd just have to say Bathory and Rainbow
Edited by Hazeel on 2/7/2013 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Human Rogue

Other than Machine Head and GWAR(both older bands that have been around for 20+ years), there isn't really any modern American Metal worth looking at.

I would gladly trade all the 5 Finger Death Punches, Killswitch Engages, and As I Lay Dyings to have Darrell and Pete Steele back.
If you ask me North American/British Metal died with Ronnie James Dio
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Immolation.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

Mastodon, Megadeth, Lamb of God, Slayer, Gwar ,Machine head ,Testament say hello!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Last time I saw Sabaton over here the venue only had like 40 people in it to see them. Watch any of their video blogs and you see fairly large, totally sold out venues with hundreds of people. And they just recorded a live album in an arena. It's really sad over here. Think the biggest crowd I've seen in the states was for Rammstein, who are good but more popular due to their crazy stage shows and purposefully edgy music videos than their actual music.

Since the end of January I've seen shows headlined by Enslaved, Turisas, Gojira (with Devin Townsend supporting at that!) and Testament, and none seemed to be even close to filling the venue. I seriously don't know what's wrong with the people over here... Maybe it's just my area?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Last time I saw Sabaton over here the venue only had like 40 people in it to see them. Watch any of their video blogs and you see fairly large, totally sold out venues with hundreds of people. And they just recorded a live album in an arena. It's really sad over here. Think the biggest crowd I've seen in the states was for Rammstein, who are good but more popular due to their crazy stage shows and purposefully edgy music videos than their actual music.

Since the end of January I've seen shows headlined by Enslaved, Turisas, Gojira (with Devin Townsend supporting at that!) and Testament, and none seemed to be even close to filling the venue. I seriously don't know what's wrong with the people over here... Maybe it's just my area?

It's no different here in VA. If you aren't a pop singer, rapper, or make screamo, you don't really get much attention.

We only have like 2 venues here outside of that that actually do well; Fallout for industrial/electronic and Jaxx for metal. And even then, that's because people come from all over the state just to fill up a night club for a few hours. There's very little interest.

Even at one of the many Nine Inc Nails shows for the With Teeth tour, the turnout was pretty poor. Was in the front and you could see Trent was a bit shocked by it as well.
Edited by Bullettime on 2/16/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Whoa... Bullet, I'm wondering if we may have been to some concerts together! Baltimore here, have to go to Empire (the former Jaxx) for a lot of shows!

I think we've got 2-3 normal venues for metal + the arena in our city. Though the Filmore in Silver Spring has been getting some decent bands recently.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

It sounds to me like you're listening to the metal that either A) a teenager is posting on facebook or B) your local "heavy" radio station is playing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/07/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Rufyn
El Mago de Oz

Mago is way underrated. I dont even speak or understand Spanish, and think they're amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Whoa... Bullet, I'm wondering if we may have been to some concerts together! Baltimore here, have to go to Empire (the former Jaxx) for a lot of shows!

I think we've got 2-3 normal venues for metal + the arena in our city. Though the Filmore in Silver Spring has been getting some decent bands recently.

I mainly hit the First Mariner and Ram's Head for shows up there. Typically don't make the trip up there though unless it's for someone I reeeaallyyyy want to see.
Edited by Bullettime on 2/19/2013 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
I haven't really kept up w/ a lot of the newer metal bands over the years as my tastes have leaned a bit more towards progressive rock like Dream Theater, Coheed & Cambria and The Mars Volta. However some of the metal bands I feel that are/have been highly underrated are:

Accept
Fight
Flotsam & Jetsam
GWAR
Loudness
Metal Church
Saxon
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/19/2013 12:05 PMPosted by ßlackened
It sounds to me like you're listening to the metal that either A) a teenager is posting on facebook or B) your local "heavy" radio station is playing.

It's too bad that a lot of people don't have an ear for the underground. So many awesome bands out there.

Anyway...Vektor, Spiritual Beggars, Chapel, Midnight, and Enforcer could use some love.
Edited by Drakresh on 2/20/2013 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]