Soul Fire in Meta form?

100 Troll Warlock
is it worth it to use soul fire if you have molten core procs in meta form? should i use it with/without cooldowns? or is it worth to only use it in execute?

EDIT: also, bonus points to whomever can tell me the best/most effective way to use Hand of Gul'dan regarding the stacks of the dot, whether to stack it or not, etc
Edited by Wzrdy on 2/4/2013 11:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
There is a lot of math involved that would be great to calculate. I should hit up a target dummy...

If you're talking PvP, I like to save my 2nd Gul'dan charge to extend the snare duration, or if I'm approaching a burst phase, I will save at least one for a Chaos Wave -- that's pretty much your best spell as Demonology.

I was told that Soul Fire should not be used in Demon Form. I imagine it has to do with damage per fury spent -- but again, this is something I would like to do some math on.

I like Soul Fire as a filler spell, to build fury during the sustained phase.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
There is a lot of math involved that would be great to calculate. I should hit up a target dummy...

If you're talking PvP, I like to save my 2nd Gul'dan charge to extend the snare duration, or if I'm approaching a burst phase, I will save at least one for a Chaos Wave -- that's pretty much your best spell as Demonology.

I was told that Soul Fire should not be used in Demon Form. I imagine it has to do with damage per fury spent -- but again, this is something I would like to do some math on.

I like Soul Fire as a filler spell, to build fury during the sustained phase.

I am talking about PvE, sorry forgot to specify that. And I ask the thing about soul fire because I've heard both cases of using it in meta form and only using it out of it. I was wondering if anyone had any numbers or something lol
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
I have tried the SF in meta several times with/without DS up. I did not see anything that would lead me to say that it is better to cast in meta form. Takes too long to cast compared to spaming ToC. Also a bigger drain on resources for the damage done. I would not recommend it.

Best time to clip HoG is with DS/procs up and going into Meta before it lands. It is best seen at the start of my rotation. HoG>CoE>Corr>DS>Imp Swarm+Wrathstorm>HoG>Meta. After much testing this has lead to about 2k increase in dps from the start (single target). The stacked DoT will should be doing x2 damage plus bonus from DS and Meta form.

During long fights, I don't tend to wait for 2 HoG's to stack before using. But I always hold one for DS to use before jumping into Meta. Overall about 3k increase from other rotations I have tried.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
It has a better DPET than ToC (iirc) and so you can use it to full effect if you end the fight on 0 DF after spamming it in meta at the very end.

It could also be able to be done during execute as you don't lose MC stacks, but I'm not sure if the DF cost is more efficient than ToC.

Don't use it normally.. it's a really quick way to build DF back up when you exit meta.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
For HoG, you ideally want to get two stacks up every time you use it, while always building charges. This means using HoG a little bit before the second charge has finished charging, cast a shadowbolt and soulfire or two soulfires, then use your second charge. (There are other combos you can use between, but the first is typically what I try and use)

For when to use soulfire, it's a dps boost to use it over ToC assuming you don't need to refresh corruption, but it's better to save charges to use in human form over meta. This means you only use soulfire in meta when the amount of charges is inconsequential, which really only occurs when your target is in execute range, though there are times where you have enough targets where soulfire charges are plentiful.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I tend to use SF procs outside of meta unless I'm sitting on 800+ fury, DS is coming off CD, and I have Imp Swarm ready. I haven't run the math, but DS/Meta and SF feels stronger. (Yes I stay in meta for the entire duration of DS).

In execute range I tend to weave SF and SB outside of meta because of the mana cost.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
There's really so many variables involved, it's insane.

I just did a test on a dummy, and using Molten Core procs in Meta form did turn out about 2000 DPS more than not using it:

Non Soul Fire test:
I had 1000 Fury, Curse of the Elements, and Corruption up. I used both Chaos Waves then spammed Touch of Chaos until a Chaos Wave came up.
Result: 19,800 dps

Soul Fire test:
I had 10 Molten Core procs, 1000 Fury, Curse of the Elements, and Corruption up. I had to add in one Touch of Chaos to refresh Corruption. A wild imp popped out at some point too, which could have affected the data. I ran out of fury with one molten core proc left.
Result: 21,200 dps

I did not use Doom to make the test a little cleaner, and I did not use Dark Soul, as the buff duration's interaction with DoT uptime and Soul Fire cast time would add quite a few more variables to consider.

There's just so much going on in Demo with so many variables. I know there are probably many problems with my experiment, but it was hard enough to GO INTO Meta form with 10 molten core procs ready to go, no wild imps to influence the data, etc.

I also didn't spend any Fury on Chaos Waves in the Soul Fire test, which seems like a mistake to me. I bet the DPS could have been even higher.

Short Answer: Do what's comfortable and do your best, and don't worry about that last ounce of damage....
I personally like saving Soul Fire for caster form as a major Fury generator for when I actually NEED a burst phase.
Edited by Sophios on 2/6/2013 7:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Interesting fun facts I'm learning off these target dummies:

Dark Soul + Blood Fury + Trinket macro added 13k DPS to my Imp Swarm! 43k up from 30k with nothing else cast on the target.

BTW Dark Intent is up for all of these tests.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
As for stacking meteors, I didnt really notice a big difference in DPS, but again, this is tough to check.

First test I used one, then refreshed at the last second to stack it.
Second test I used them both right away.
I had Corruption, Curse of Elements, and Demonic Calling up and ready. Fel flame refreshed Corruption as needed, and Shadowbolt was used as a filler.
I used my Soul Fire procs, which I probably shouldn't have for a more accurate reading, but I'm not sure how this would have affected things.

Tested over the course of 60 seconds. Recasted a single meteor as they became available.

The result was a mere 500 DPS increase favoring casting two immediate meteors, but this could have easily been affected by crits, Soul Fire problems, my own mistakes, etc....

Short Answer: I would just try and keep Hand of Gul'dan on your target as much as possible, while saving at least one charge for your Meta burst phase, especially if you're full on Fury and Dark Soul is coming up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Use soul fire in meta if you are in execute range or if it is a burn phase.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/06/2013 07:42 PMPosted by Sophios
I had Corruption, Curse of Elements, and Demonic Calling up and ready. Fel flame refreshed Corruption as needed, and Shadowbolt was used as a filler.

You should not be using fel flame as Demo at all. Use TOC to refresh Corruption.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/06/2013 08:17 PMPosted by Kruil
You should not be using fel flame as Demo at all. Use TOC to refresh Corruption.

You use fel flame as demo to refresh corruption on a group of adds that you have previously put the dot on. On single target, you're correct, you don't use Fel flame either in caster or meta form.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock

That's not realistic. I didn't say Void Ray, so if you don't mean this you must mean to NEVER use Fel Flame and just shift into meta form only to refresh corruption, which sounds ridiculously inefficient. I suppose it's plausible, but in certain phases you need burst for extended periods, in which case you don't want Metamorphosis on cooldown. And if Dark Soul is up, you want a good pool of Fury to spend on it.

Fel flame is actually a great spell. The damage is excellent given the cast time and mana cost. If you're not ready for your Meta burst phase and Corruption will expire before you can finish casting a Soul Fire/Shadow Bolt.

Maybe there are some scenarios when you could up your DPS by doing a short pop into Meta form, but I imagine it would only work for fights where short bursts are required rather than large fury pools.
Edited by Sophios on 2/6/2013 11:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
02/06/2013 10:46 PMPosted by Amnaesia

You use fel flame as demo to refresh corruption on a group of adds that you have previously put the dot on. On single target, you're correct, you don't use Fel flame either in caster or meta form.

Wouldnt it be more efficient to simply use Void Ray?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
02/06/2013 08:12 PMPosted by Kruil
Use soul fire in meta if you are in execute range or if it is a burn phase.

This doesn't feel entirely correct. Execute range just means you have more MC procs than you could ever hope to use. It still doesn't answer the question of which form to use it in and when. It's going to do the same amount of damage (setting aside trinket and enchant procs) whether or not you're in execute range, so saying use it in execute range is not any different from saying "use it in meta".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]