[SUGGESTION] A Fix For Cross-Realm Heirlooms

90 Dwarf Shaman
I read a tweet by Ghostcrawler saying that mailing heirlooms across factions/realms had technical limitations, which I believe is completely true and not at all the way they should be handled.

However, what is to stop heirlooms from having an achievement-like flag on them? There are plenty of ways I imagine to make it so that upon buying an heirloom a switch is flipped basically saying "You have access to this heirloom so you can now get it for free everywhere."

Thinking about it, the new cross-realm/faction pet/mount UIs would be perfect for this. Shape that to allow item distribution, make the heirloom items you buy at the vendors "On use:" items that when used "learn" the heirloom (just like pets and mounts), allowing you to drag one out of the heirloom window on any character who needed it.

This would solve cross-realm heirlooms and allow you to conveniently have more than one copy of an heirloom, something I imagine many of us have wished for while playing heirloom hot potato between alts.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
i really like this idea. it streamlines what is currently a workable but still-clunky system. removing mail from the equation entirely and linking heirlooms to each character--no more character jumping, scrabbling to put together your heirlooms, PANICKING WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND ONE BECAUSE OH NO, DID YOU DELETE IT? DID THE MAIL EAT IT? OH GOD NO WHERE IS IT--presents its own technological challenges, but with a better result than "oh yeah you can mail your !@#$ cross-realm now".
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I really wish there was a fix for this as I'm about to start leveling alts on a new server and will likely be transferring over a character with all the heirlooms for all classes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
That's a great idea - and should be easy to implement considering they have put Account-wide mounts/pets/achievements in now.

Maybe this would be better seen in another part of the forum though? I think this should certainly be pushed forward to where the Blizz Dev's would have a higher chance to see it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
That's a great idea - and should be easy to implement considering they have put Account-wide mounts/pets/achievements in now.

Maybe this would be better seen in another part of the forum though? I think this should certainly be pushed forward to where the Blizz Dev's would have a higher chance to see it.

This seemed the best place with how it pertains to my suggestion. Unfortunately there isn't a forum specifically for suggestions, as far as I'm aware. The FAQ says to put suggestions in the most relevant forum and that they try their best to read all posts.

Hopefully somebody on the inside pokes their nose in here and agrees, or it gets enough word of mouth to reach higher.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Awesome idea!!! *clicks like comment*
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
BTW you can submit suggestions in game. Go to the little question mark icon on the mini-bar thingy (I forget what it's called), then go down to the tab where it says submit a suggestion.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
02/05/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Keetanii
BTW you can submit suggestions in game. Go to the little question mark icon on the mini-bar thingy (I forget what it's called), then go down to the tab where it says submit a suggestion.

I've done that, but I figure having it in two places can't hurt my chances!
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
sticky requested. Been thinking about a way to suggest how to do this forever! It takes a lot of time to re-farm all those heirlooms you accidently left on the toon you didn't transfer over. Wonderful idea.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
02/06/2013 01:46 PMPosted by Finkalicious
sticky requested. Been thinking about a way to suggest how to do this forever! It takes a lot of time to re-farm all those heirlooms you accidently left on the toon you didn't transfer over. Wonderful idea.

Thanks! Not sure how stickyable this is, though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I feel very strongly about this idea.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Oh god this is a bad Idea, I have 11 90s already I don't need more!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
This idea rocks!
It would really help those of us who level 3-4 characters at the same time :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
How about a simple "Transfer Heirlooms" function. Acts the same way as when you recruit a friend to the game and you get a mount... choose the character it goes to. There could easily be a new "service" provided to strictly focus on these items. Simply deleting them from one toon, and placing them on another... which is VERY possible and has been done numerous times before the whole "you have 2 hours to trade with other players who were eligible for this item" existed. The bottom line is that this is NOT a very difficult concept to do. Any 'skilled' game designer/programmer could easily come up with a better, more efficient way of doing this service than using the (as they have admitted) broken mail system. However it comes down to priorities... NOT difficulty.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Why can't Blizzard make a place like void storage or a xrealm bank even maybe a place like the farm in valley of the four winds that you will be able to call home in 5.2 even set your hearth stone at where you can place you account bound items in and then you could pick them up on the other realm
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Couldn't they make the exp boost into enchants so that you could unlock them across all character in the spell books general tab.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
02/18/2013 12:40 AMPosted by Scorien
However it comes down to priorities... NOT difficulty.

And their priority is finding how many more suckers they can get to spend 25 bucks to move characters with those heirlooms to other servers.

Watch if/once the profits dry up from server xfers how fast a fix for this "technical issue" is found.
Edited by Thuganomics on 2/24/2013 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Here's an old thread about this:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3278904260#8

Basically Blizzard wants you to have to purchase each item, and be able to mail it to wherever you want. They don't want you to purchase one item and then get that item multiple times.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

This is what was said in that thread - I can understand the technical challenge, and their concern about opening Pandora's box about allowing people to mail anything to their characters cross-realm (even though you'd only want to limit it to the 'type' of gear you could mail, such as only Heirloom gear that is BOA, not any BOA gear etc). But this is a great idea for a fix of that issue - even if they just make us buy the "one" piece of gear on realm A where all our geared/money-ed up toons are with JP/gold, and then have that piece of gear available on realm B for no charge because you have already 'brought' it.

All technical issues - but heck, so is cross-realm-zones, and raids, and battlegrounds, and class balance... just another thing for them to slowly work on and put out there (we're not demanding it right now, as much as we'd like it right now), but having a "we're working on ideas for something to implement this with, here are some 'ideas' so far we're looking at" and a rough time line "... with hopes for patch x.x" etc would be great.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]