I Panicked!

87 Draenei Shaman
Ok, so I have recently decided to heal for this expansion. Astrai here was leveled as Elemental during Cata and only did a tidbit of Healing. I returned to discover that totems were now spells and we got all sorts of neat new spells.

So I start off lvling as restro trying to get back into the groove of healing, finding random people to group with and such to pull a nice mass of NPCs to AOE down, take on rares solo and stay alive, that sorta stuff. Once I felt more confident I started doing dungeons. Oh man did I start thinking these dungeons are easy and that healing is so simple for Jade Temple and Brewery.

Then I ding to 87... and BAM Shado-Pan Monastery. I don't know what it was but that dungeon just looked intimidating from the start. Letting the group know I have not done the dungeon before (thankfully everyone was ok with that) we move on with no issues (I'm also pretty lucky the tank was a lvl 90).

First boss was pretty awesome lots of AoE damage going on, but everyone seemed to know to move out of the way of the lightning. Second boss (also now one of my favorites!) dropped with no issues. Third boss, A lot of AoE damage going on and spiked shooting out under me making me move and BAH, he went down but I struggled (I also popped Heroism thinking he was the last boss, silly me :( ). Fourth boss.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH Oh my freaking goodness this boss... So much AoE damage going on, my screen having a faded red border, a debuff I couldn't read completely because of me freaking out so bad. I saw my teammates doing some repent thing that I had no idea how they were doing, checking my bags to see if there was some item in them, nope. I start spam healing everyone because they're too spread out for my chain heal to branch off, I forget I even have other spells, I forget I can drop that totem that equalizes health among members, I forget the new spell I just got at 87 (some water form thing) that I think duplicates my single target heals to other members. My mana is getting low, the poor kitty dies first, then the Spriest, so now its just me, a hunter and the pally tank... We ended up killing him but w/o heroism it really dragged on.

So long story short, I would love for advice on how to handle the last boss of Shado-Pan Monastery. I would also like to know how I drop that debuff because the most I read that it did was like 25% healing decrease.

Thanks in advance :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The lovely thing about the last boss in Shado-pan Monastery is that everything about it that's hard to heal? is all pretty much stuff that's not supposed to happen in the first place (ie, a lot of it is avoidable damage).

First off, suggest to groups that you should clear some of the purple orbs around the last boss's courtyard. If things are going badly, having the extra orbs there can make life pretty awful.

Secondly, the boss casts something called "Rising Hatred" (it's a long-ish cast, and DBM yells at you to interrupt it as he casts it). As a shaman, I make life easy on myself by taking the initiative to interrupt that myself with Wind Shear, because it's not worth hoping the tank/dps'ers will interrupt it. DO NOT let him get that cast off!

Thirdly, all dps absolutely MUST swap targets the very instant new orbs spawn (again, DBM yells at you to do so). If they don't, and orbs start piling up... it can quickly degenerate into a wipe.

Finally, you'll have noticed that the purple "circles" which swirl around the boss HURT. Try to stay far enough away from the boss that you'll never be caught in them, and encourage ranged players to do the same, to lessen the healing burden. Really, so long as Rising Hate is always interrupted, and so long as dps switches to orbs in an efficient way, the fight is not difficult to heal :)

GL and have fun!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
the purple "circles" which swirl around the boss HURT. Try to stay far enough away from the boss that you'll never be caught in them

Clarifying the purple swirl a little:

It is the border of the swirling ring that hurts. So don't be halfway from the boss. Either be close to the boss so you're fully inside the ring, or far from the boss so you're fully outside the ring.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also, the debuff you're wanting to drop is your "hatred". You need to use your Extra Action Button to channel/drop the debuff (this is what you saw the other players doing, you kneel down while channeling).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/05/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Astrai
I would also like to know how I drop that debuff

I don't know if you've ever seen this before, because it looks like you don't raid on this character at least, but Blizzard introduced a new User Interface element in Cataclysm called the "Extra Action Button". This is a button that shows up automatically in certain situations. It was originally only deployed for a few Dragon Soul raid encounters, but in MoP it was expanded to some dungeon encounters and a few quests. It's context-sensitive - it does something different in each context where it appears.

On the last boss of Shado-Pan Monastery, clicking it clears your debuff. There's also a quest in Kun-Lai that uses it (something about stealing a mask), and near the end of the Dread Wastes quest chain, you gain permanent access to a buff from one of the Klaxxi that uses the EAB to let you charm Dread Wastes mobs and use them as pets.

When it's active, if you're using the default UI, you can look for it in the bottom-center area of your screen. Unfortunately, this happens to be the place where many (most?) healers keep our raid frames, so you may need to move either it or your raid frames.

To move it, you can either use a full action bar mod like Bartender4:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bartender4

or a specific Extra Action Button addon like BetterExtraActionButton:
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/betterextraactionbutton

Alternatively, you can just move whatever's covering it (again, it's most likely your raid frames).

It's also not a bad idea to make a macro with the following text:
/click ExtraActionButton1

and put that in your main actionbars. That won't tell you when it's active, but if you think it's active and you can't see it, hit that macro and it'll click the button wherever it's hiding.
Edited by Kaels on 2/5/2013 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
Thanks everyone! I will def focus the boss to interrupt that "Rising Hatred" spell. I normally don't expect DPS to make my life easier but its nice to know that the damage is pretty preventable so I can mention people to FF on those orbs and such.

@Glory...I recently got the addon Dominos and I saw that "Extra box" thinking it wasn't important...thanks for letting me know that it is indeed needed hehe.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Hey Astrai,

I've written up some (sorry, very wordy!) guides to the MoP dungeons that cover both trash and boss abilities and offer some tips for all healers on how to handle them. The one you're after would be at

http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/encounter-guides/heroic-dungeons/shado-pan-monastery/

and while it's written from a level-90, Heroic-mode point of view, not much changes from normal mode Shado-Pan to Heroic mode except that the damage gets higher.

Stick with it! You're also struggling a bit with the not-yet-max-level doldrums that hit all healing classes; your spells just don't feel as powerful or as efficient as you'd want them to be to deal with the damage coming in. It gets better. And don't forget your shiny new Ascendance button for when things go bad :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/05/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Inushi
It is the border of the swirling ring that hurts. So don't be halfway from the boss. Either be close to the boss so you're fully inside the ring, or far from the boss so you're fully outside the ring.

You learn something new every day :) Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, Ring of Malice can really shred a non-tank (because the tank would be humping the boss anyway) if you and the other dps aren't paying attention.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
And they should no about it from the trash before the boss.

That is one thing MoP did real well in dungeons, generally the trash before a boss has a few abilities the boss uses. (Or in the the of the final boss in the Brewery, you can guess which of his random abilities he will have from the trash before him.)
Reply Quote
You panicked, don't beat yourself up too much, it has happened to every healer. Just keep practicing your basics and remember the lessons you learned from that run.

Spiritwalker's Grace helps a ton if you're getting tossed around by the bubbles. People basically don't pop them so I always try and plan for that. Make sure to clear your hatred during a slow phase (i.e. just after interrupting Rising Hate).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/05/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Buffyria
Yeah, Ring of Malice can really shred a non-tank (because the tank would be humping the boss anyway) if you and the other dps aren't paying attention.

The best part is that Taran will sometimes knock the tank back through the Ring of Malice. :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/05/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Buffyria

It hurts tanks also, this boss throws them into it. If your tank has been slow getting out of the poop watch for them to take a beating when they get thrown back. Whereas a good tank will be mashing their charge button while they are still in the air, and you won't notice the damage as they go zipping back.

Edit: I should really read all the posts before I comment on one. Yea, like Tiriel said.
Edited by Sassinak on 2/6/2013 12:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]