Melee Hunter, lets make it happen.

90 Goblin Hunter
As BM, there are only 2 abilities that require a ranged weapon. Those being Cobra shot and Arcane shot. I would love the opportunity to be a melee hunter, even if its not top tier dps spec. More for fun.

As long as we could do ranged and/or melee, you could avoid the outcry for BM fanboys wanting to keep their gun. All I would like is just to tinker around being a melee hunter dual wielding axes/fists/swords

edit: sorry 3 abilities, forgot about serpent sting
Edited by Farmzorz on 2/5/2013 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Kill Shot, Multi Shot, Tranq Shot, Concussive Shot, Silencing Shot, Scatter Shot, Trap Launching, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
yes you can name every ranged ability, but only kill shot is used in the end as part of a normal rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
PVP does not have rotations.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Let's not.

There's plenty of melee classes. Warrior. Rogue. DK. Enhancement Shaman (with your wolves, there's your melee hunter!). Paladin.

Take your pick.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Vanilla Survival Hunter, with the right tree choices (when you had a hell of allot more) and some stam, and some potions was a Melee.
Duel low 1.* speed wpns, Broken tooth's speed with talents learned and spec'd right (when of course you could learn and spec your pet). With traps, pet, wingclip spam (when it actualy did something) counter attacks, parry, 10 points to steal scattershot from the MM tree .. etc. You could and would run up into any casters face and they would be dead before they could get past cast interruptions, you could slice a rouge up while he said Doh and hold yourself with any warrior.
Was way fun thats why Blizz nerfed it first.

You actualy had to fight next to your pet not behind it tho.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
We are the only class that uses guns, bows, and crossbows now. From an itemization point of view, melee hunters are not likely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
You can stand in melee range, and pretend you are beating things with your bow.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
why? There are already a bunch of melee classes already, but only one noncaster ranged.

I would just reroll or play an alt if I want to get some melee out of my system... makes far more sense.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Melee hunters do exist now. They are called rogues or monks. Go play those classes if you want to melee.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention feral druids as well.
Reply Quote
84 Worgen Death Knight
Or you could play an Unholy DK. Perma pet and melee.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
why? There are already a bunch of melee classes already, but only one noncaster ranged.

There is exactly one melee class with a permanent pet, and that is only one spec. Also, having one spec melee orientated would allow more room for differentiation between the 2 ranged specs. Plus, we would be the only melee/ranged DPS "hybrid" that shares gear for the specs, making us a much easier choice to swap to melee/ranged based on fight mechanics.

Melee hunters do exist now. They are called rogues or monks. Go play those classes if you want to melee.

Rogues and Monks do not have a permanent pet; therefore, they are not hunters.

02/06/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Arshtat
We are the only class that uses guns, bows, and crossbows now. From an itemization point of view, melee hunters are not likely.

This is a good point. My approach would simply to make "mounted combat" (i.e. you are on your pet, you share abilities, i.e. Sybiosis Dash, Kill Command Charge, Disengage, etc), but are still two separate entities dealing damage.

Then, you just need to maintain melee range in order to maximize pet damage, making you a "melee" hunter, but you still use bows. Either a glyph (so all three specs can participate), or an "aura" that you can turn on/off that works with specific pets - limited to BM only.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/06/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Tortirra
You can stand in melee range, and pretend you are beating things with your bow.

QFT

Every few days someone posts this tripe about melee hunters.

Stop. Its not going to happen, its not necessary, there are other alternatives if you want to play a melee class, and

its not even a good idea.

The 'thing' that hunters do differently from other physical damage classes is our use of ranged weapons and pet. Its a great design, just like rogues, DKs, Rets, Warriors, Monks, and Ferals are all interesting melee playstyles.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Roll a rogue and keep one of your companion pets out. Hunters are a ranged class and will stay that way.

The only melee move that made any sense for a hunter was Wing Clip to get out of melee range and kite with conc shot until target is dead. Now that we have no minimum range melee is useless.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/07/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Ichi
Every few days someone posts this tripe about melee hunters.

Because it is a popular request, much like Green Fire, except it actually used to exist (and was somewhat viable in PVP...not so much in PVE)

Stop. Its not going to happen, its not necessary, there are other alternatives if you want to play a melee class, and

The only alternative to a melee spec with a permanent pet, is an Unholy DK. That isn't a whole lot of alternatives.

Opinion

The 'thing' that hunters do differently from other physical damage classes is our use of ranged weapons and pet. Its a great design, just like rogues, DKs, Rets, Warriors, Monks, and Ferals are all interesting melee playstyles.

Back in vanilla, Melee hunters were as a good of a design as the vast majority of specs in the game (meaning...not even close by today's standards, much like every other spec that existed in vanilla). Melee hunters have just fallen into the same pit of despair that Shockadins, DPS Holy, or 2-handed Enh fell.

Unlike those above choices, a Melee Hunter is actually unique (Shockadin/DPS Holy - Just another caster DPS, admittedly the only one that wore plate and deals Holy damage; 2 Handed Enh - Ret Paladin in Mail). A melee hunter would be one of 2 specs that combines melee with a permanent pet, and it has a strong lore basis in Rexxar.

Having said all that, without going overboard and completely revamping it, just add the mounted combat glyph idea I mentioned above. You trade pet/hunter separation for precise pet positioning, and indirectly get forced into a "melee hunter" play style.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Hunters had a melee spec back in Vanilla and BC. It was crap. No one used it. I remember a few of the melee abilities like Wing Clip and Raptor Strike, NEVER used them, maybe Wing Clip in PvP vs melee but other than that never.

On top of that they removed us having other weapons, we use the bow or we use nothing basically.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Hunters had a melee spec back in Vanilla and BC. It was crap. No one used it. I remember a few of the melee abilities like Wing Clip and Raptor Strike, NEVER used them, maybe Wing Clip in PvP vs melee but other than that never.

On top of that they removed us having other weapons, we use the bow or we use nothing basically.

"No one" is misleading. I used it all the time in BGs (which, incidentally, I stopped doing BGs roughly during WotLK).

And not using Mongoose Bite was silly, free damage (minimal mana cost, off the GCD) when it was available of course.

Note: The "melee" spec in TBC was basically SV until Counter-attack and trap talents, and then some BM Pet buff talents. In vanilla it actually had melee damage abilities unique to the spec (granted, I went 21/0/30, for Intimidate and Trap/Melee talents other than Lacerate).
Edited by Verdash on 2/7/2013 2:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
LOL Vanilla niche specs. You got away with it because you couldnt even use your pet in raids for fear of a parry.

The game has changed away from this model. Its a good thing no dev would listen to this idea.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
02/07/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Verdash
except it actually used to exist (and was somewhat viable in PVP...not so much in PVE)

no, it wasn't, people laughed at hunters who tried it, they still would

Opinion

its a bad idea, go play a DK if you want to melee with a pet, hunters are a ranged class and (you're laughable attempt to make it seem like there was a viable melee hunter after the first month aside) always have been.

Wait, why am I even bothering with this, it won't happen, nor will your mounted combat happen, the devs have said as much.

02/07/2013 02:47 PMPosted by Kathrian
Its a good thing no dev would listen to this idea.

Kathrian is telling you the truth, the only thing is, can you dig the truth?
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Vèngeance
Hunters had a melee spec back in Vanilla and BC. It was crap. No one used it.

So this means that any newly created hunter melee spec will also be crap, because past mistakes are always repeated. DERRRRRRRRP.

02/07/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Vèngeance

We can still use melee weapons without a ranged weapon. DERRRRRRRRP times two.
Edited by Bavok on 2/7/2013 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]