Thoughts on Mage 5.2 Changes

22 Blood Elf Priest
Anyone else noticing frost nova break on a 15k dot?

Blazing speed vs Pom?
Can't use blazing speed while stunned.

Ring of Frost Change? The only instant cc the actually took skill? Nerf.

Flameglow vs Ice Barrier?
Flameglow doesn't do enough seems like a pve talent for aoeing mobs down.

Frost Bomb vs Nether Tempest
Frost Bomb is still lack luster for the amount of setup it requires.
In all seriousness I'm amazed that frost bomb was not buffed in 5.2 and nether tempest completely reworked? Mages shouldn't be warlocks.

Overall the new talent system Mist offers is total !@#$. Worst change for WOW so far. This expansion is turning out to be a real let down. I guess the game isn't about being fun anymore.
Edited by Shírayuki on 2/6/2013 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 10:50 PMPosted by Shírayuki
Blazing speed vs Pom?
Going to depend entirely on what comp you're about to face in each arena match. You'll most likely be switching between these two a lot. Which is a good thing imo.
Good. We don't need, nor should we have, two short cd stun breaks.
Needed to happen. PoM - Alter time - Poly - Alter Time - RoF was simply too strong. PoM-ring is still really good, even with the arming time.
Flameglow vs Ice Barrier?
Flameglow doesn't do enough seems like a pve talent for aoeing mobs down.
Yeah pretty much. It might work out really well against dot cleaves. Its not looking to be that way, but you never know. Either way, Ice Barrier is still a solid choice and we don't really need a better defensive option.
Mages shouldn't be warlocks.
We still operate very differently than locks. One DoT that we maintain doesn't mean were warlocks.
Overall the new talent system Mist offers is total !@#$. Worst change for WOW so far. This expansion is turning out to be a real let down. I guess the game isn't about being fun anymore.
I couldn't disagree with you more. This is the first time, in all my years of playing this game, that I actively change talents match to match. The PvP changes in 5.2 look incredibly promising.
Reply Quote
22 Blood Elf Priest
The blizzard dev team could easily copy some of the wizard talents from Diablo 3 and things might be interesting. LOL
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Blazing speed vs Pom?

I'm pretty jealous if you can pop PoM while stunned.
Edited by Magic on 2/7/2013 12:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

Wait.

what?

pom ring takes like

no skill.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
i think blizzard completely messed up, they wanted frost to cast in pvp, they gave us frost bomb,they completely through that idea,why cast when u can spam dots and free procs.

Nerfing Pom Ring....really, that happens only once every 1min 30sec cd with the chance it misses cause of lag or its spam purged , and when a kfc blows all their cds off the bat on ur healer,how do u stop them instantly, for a slight second and at least get their trinket,very ridiculous lol.

this game is getting worse n worse by the expac :( playing fire & frost since classic
Reply Quote
i think blizzard completely messed up, they wanted frost to cast in pvp, they gave us frost bomb,they completely through that idea,why cast when u can spam dots and free procs.

Nerfing Pom Ring....really, that happens only once every 1min 30sec cd with the chance it misses cause of lag or its spam purged , and when a kfc blows all their cds off the bat on ur healer,how do u stop them instantly, for a slight second and at least get their trinket,very ridiculous lol.

this game is getting worse n worse by the expac :( playing fire & frost since classic

*Clears throat*

-Blanket Silence
-Peeling (Endless roots, slows)
-1.7 second cast Poly
-PoM Poly (
-2 second cast RoF
-Instant cast RoF (no chance of being interrupted) + 2 second arming.. snare-->roof-->profit
-6 second spell lockout
-Using deep freeze defensively

Adapt & overcome. Instant RoF was NOT and was NEVER your only CC option.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

blazing speed will replace blink.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 06:08 AMPosted by Xillia

Currently it does not replace blink. Nor does it break stuns. It is simply the exact same version we have on live, but cast on demand. It could change though, considering how these talents have changed a half a dozen times in the 5.2 ptr.
Edited by Kurojushi on 2/7/2013 6:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Beat me to it Kurojushi.

PoM+RoF did need a nerf. Especially on maps like mines. Was especially great with two mages trapping people down at lava. I'm okay with the change.

I have a feeling I'll be swapping between PoM and BS quite a bit. Like someone said above, that's how it should be.

As for Frost Bomb, I never use it anymore. I was diehard for it when I was a full on haste build a couple of months ago. But ever since I switched to full on resil, I just don't find Frost Bomb very useful. Why have a spell I have to cast when I can run around all day and get the same results with procs?

Don't get me wrong, as I've said in other threads, I hate this playstyle, but hey, gotta do what works.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
*Clears throat*

-Blanket Silence
-Peeling (Endless roots, slows)
-1.7 second cast Poly
-PoM Poly (
-2 second cast RoF
-Instant cast RoF (no chance of being interrupted) + 2 second arming.. snare-->roof-->profit
-6 second spell lockout
-Using deep freeze defensively

Adapt & overcome. Instant RoF was NOT and was NEVER your only CC option.

roots gets broken by kfc (pallys freedom,masters call,avatar)
pom poly stops only one, counterspell VS kfc...your stupid lol , deepfreeze one and pom poly one, they trinket instantly , your healers dead

if you dont arena high dont talk, your on a 90 mage with no gear and no kind of pvp achieves. please remain quiet
Edited by Fightup on 2/7/2013 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2013 06:08 AMPosted by Xillia

that change was reverted, it's exactly the same as it is on live on ptr right now except activated on demand, and on tier 1. it's pretty good
Reply Quote
22 Blood Elf Priest

Wait.

what?

pom ring takes like

no skill.

Wait Sir, I dare say you think that instant fear is the same as pom ring. You think instant pom ring is cheat? Sir I dare say what you think about pom sheep sir.
Edited by Shírayuki on 2/7/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
22 Blood Elf Priest
Blazing speed vs Pom?

I'm pretty jealous if you can pop PoM while stunned.

I'm always stuned bro.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I wish they would have made some changes to incantors ward. Atleast make the shield last a minute instead of 8s. It doesn't absorb very much damage. Lasting one minute would take some of the guessing out of when is the best time to activate it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Derìk
I wish they would have made some changes to incantors ward. Atleast make the shield last a minute instead of 8s. It doesn't absorb very much damage. Lasting one minute would take some of the guessing out of when is the best time to activate it.

High skill cap, high reward. All they need to do is make it more worthwhile in PvE and it's fine. Playing around with the cooldown, bubble duration and size, and dps buff duration is actually quite fun and rewards perfect execution with a pretty sizable dps bonus while also providing great mobility. Honestly I'd prefer if the bubble were smaller or something, but having to step into fire just to get the dps benefit is certainly a step in the *wrong* direction in terms of talent design. Also remember that none of the level 90 talents are balanced around 100% uptime, so missing a single IW in a fight won't kill you (it will hurt quite a bit though for sure), but using AT and cooldowns at the beginning of a popped IW provides a greater increase than is balanced for.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/07/2013 09:56 PMPosted by Kurojushi

High skill cap, high reward. All they need to do is make it more worthwhile in PvE and it's fine. Playing around with the cooldown, bubble duration and size, and dps buff duration is actually quite fun and rewards perfect execution with a pretty sizable dps bonus while also providing great mobility. Honestly I'd prefer if the bubble were smaller or something, but having to step into fire just to get the dps benefit is certainly a step in the *wrong* direction in terms of talent design. Also remember that none of the level 90 talents are balanced around 100% uptime, so missing a single IW in a fight won't kill you (it will hurt quite a bit though for sure), but using AT and cooldowns at the beginning of a popped IW provides a greater increase than is balanced for.

Innvocation is not hard to keep up 100 percent of the time. Neither is rune of power. Incantors ward is the only one that is not up 100 percent of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/07/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Derìk
Innvocation is not hard to keep up 100 percent of the time. Neither is rune of power. Incantors ward is the only one that is not up 100 percent of the time.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you are wrong. It's not hard to keep up the Invocation and RoP *buff* 100% of the time, but that's not what I'm saying, nor what Blizzard is balancing for. Each talent has a maximum 100% efficiency that basically requires you to cast the spell once per cycle, keep the buff on you 100% of the time, and do 0 damage while not having the buff on. If you EVER have to cast Invocation before the buff runs out, or have to do any dps after it runs out, or if you have to move while channeling Evocation, you are no longer at 100% efficiency. If you EVER have to recast RoP before it expires (like a second one for example), or do any dps while not on your Rune, or have to interrupt your cast of RoP by moving, you are no longer at 100% efficiency. The only difference with Incanter's Ward is that if you don't get hit by enough damage during the 8 second bubble, you just lose out on the full 15 seconds of the buff, rather than the few seconds you would lose normally from Invocation or RoP. But in return it gives you superior mobility and a bonus to the damage increase you get (RoP gives 15%, Invocation gives 22% but isn't usable by Arcane, and Incanter's Ward gives 18%). Once Invocation changes in 5.2, they will both be it will be 14%, so at that point they are about even. In the end though, they are balanced to be *below* that number, something around 90% of the theoretical maximum.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
LvL 22 Priest making post, afraid of the forum trolls?

No changes are good, all around balance-ish change, I'm all for flameglow.

P.s. (yes I know i'm poorly geared D: leave me be)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]